It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory about annoying old ladies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here is my theory on why old ladies seem to be annoying. Please feel free to discuss or criticize it. Oh yeah, yes I am a racist, sexist, child molesting, terrorist, misoginistic communist pig.

Whenever I go out and about town, I often notice that old ladies seem to act annoying in places like shops and restraunts. For example, old ladies cannot move through the express lane in a supermarket. They hold up the line asking stupid questions and such. In restraunts, they seem to bust waiters chops demanding that their orders are perfect and giving waiters the run around. Perhaps not every old lady fits into this mold, but many do.

My theory is that these old ladies were once beautiful young ladies, who did not have much else going for them. They became accustomed to being pampered. They grew old and no longer had men answering there every beck and call, as all these women had were their looks. These women have either not figured out that people were fawning over them in their youth because they were attractive and can no longer get away with their act or these women have become bitter because the world has seemingly turned their back on them, which compels them to demand more out of the world.

My solution to the problem is for the men of the world to give special treatment to attractive women. If you know an attractive woman who has you do all sorts of favors, you are sadly mistaken if doing these favors for her is going to get you into her bed. If anything, it is the surest way to get yourself out of her bed. Treat attractive women normally, and make them learn from an early age that they have to work to get what they deserve like everyone else. This will not only force attractive women to develop other talents, but at the end of the day may keep them from turning into tomorrows annoying old ladies.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
So is the problem with old ladies or young, attractive women?

Maybe the issue is, our elders have realized there is no need to rush through everything in life. So what if you spend an extra minute in the line up at a supermarket? Is our precious lives truly affected that we had to spend an extra minuscule second waiting for another human being to receive some information they may actually need?

See, I don't think the problem is with young or old women. I don't think the problem is with anything but ourselves. We are in such a hurry in life, we fail to see the beauty of everything that surrounds us.

An elder couple is driving down the highway doing twenty clicks under the speed limit. Ohhh boy I bet this really grinds our gears. Probably going to flip them off as we speed by, cursing under our breaths. Why? Maybe they are enjoying one another's company, taking their good old time getting to the location they desire. Maybe it's not where they are going, it's how they get there.

Maybe we youngin's, (anyone a non senior citizen) should do the same. Rather than rush through our days, stop and take a moment. Say Hi to the girl at the check out and ask how her day is going.

Annoying old ladies? ...Annoying. Maybe it is our ignorance that is the problem.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think there are lots of bitter people out there and they seem to be frustrated at life. Who knows what life has been like for people?
When i see a bitter person (forget the old lady stuff) i automatically assume they've had a hard or traumatic life, and not that they've had a priviledged life at all. I have met plenty of priviledged people and they for the most part are calm, collected and with it.
No one knows what peoples lifes are like behind closed doors, and i think that is what we need to think about instead of assuming that people, especially old ladies are slow, mean and nasty.

I hope this makes sense to you. I have often thought what makes people be the way they are.

Good thread.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Once I was standing behind this old lady at the ATM. She asked me to help check her balance.

So I pushed the old hag over...

Don't look at me like that... I thought it was hilarious when I first heard it.

I think both Chissler and Dgtempe pretty much covered the issue. (Keeping in mind that older men can be just as frustrating as the "ladies"...) We need to keep in mind we should treat other people how we would like to be treated... All of us are going to get there somewhere in the future - if we're lucky.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
www.belowtopsecret.com...

Weird... Anyway, the problem with people who have the "It's how you get there" philosophy is that it hinders the progress of people who have a different philosophy. Sure, it all sounds good to them, but what if someone has a "Life's too short, so we have to do everything we can before it's over" philosophy? Are they not to be respected and acknowledged as well? What happens when a person with philosophy A gets in front of a person with philosophy B in line?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I posted this once before and got zero response and minimal views. Which is ok, it is what it is. But I'm posting it again now because I think it's relevant. And if you don't, that's fine too.

I received this in an email a few months ago-

"Heavenly Father, Help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic last night is a single mother who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear of not getting his student loans for next semester.

Remind us, Lord, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job!) is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slowly through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Heavenly Father, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you give us, the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to
judge and quick to forgive, show patience, empathy and love.

Amen"

Now even if you don't pray or even believe in a supreme being, I think there are some pretty good points to contemplate there.

Maybe.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
www.belowtopsecret.com...

Weird... Anyway, the problem with people who have the "It's how you get there" philosophy is that it hinders the progress of people who have a different philosophy. Sure, it all sounds good to them, but what if someone has a "Life's too short, so we have to do everything we can before it's over" philosophy? Are they not to be respected and acknowledged as well? What happens when a person with philosophy A gets in front of a person with philosophy B in line?

I am all for people following their own philosophy, but there are times and places where certain philosophies or moods should not be present.. It is inappropriate to be really cheerful at a funeral, or really boisterous at a library, or sexually liberated in front of children. Similarly, the checkout counter at the grocery store is about speed and efficiency. If you have want to waste time, talk to one of the clerks in the aisles of the store, not the clerk in the ^*$&'ing EXPRESS LANE!

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Comparing a funeral and sexual tendencies to the check out at the grocery store is a little inappropriate. Also, some of which is your own opinion and nothing more. I've been to a few funerals, some for my own family, some for others. I've been to one where the deceased was a teenager who had taken his own life. Very sad evening where everyone was wiping the tears from their eyes while paying their respects. But I've also been to a funeral where the deceased was in his late 90's and lived his life to the fullest. We were not their to mourn his death, we were there to celebrate his life.

So the statement that it is inappropriate to be upbeat at a funeral, can be construed as inappropriate in itself.

Can I ask why is it that your in so much of a hurry that an elderly lady in the check out has you upset? Is their a legitimate reason for this frustration? I love lazing around as much as the next guy, but it's not enough to grow irate with an elderly person. Now if I had a dependant at home that was in dire need of my company, then yes, I would be slightly frustrated that I could not make it home any quicker. I would not be upset with the lady herself, I would just be frustrated.

Personally, I think we all need to slow down and enjoy life a little more. Getting upset at others who are taking their time with things, is only another indication that we ourselves need to slow down.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Comparing a funeral and sexual tendencies to the check out at the grocery store is a little inappropriate. Also, some of which is your own opinion and nothing more. I've been to a few funerals, some for my own family, some for others. I've been to one where the deceased was a teenager who had taken his own life. Very sad evening where everyone was wiping the tears from their eyes while paying their respects. But I've also been to a funeral where the deceased was in his late 90's and lived his life to the fullest. We were not their to mourn his death, we were there to celebrate his life.

So the statement that it is inappropriate to be upbeat at a funeral, can be construed as inappropriate in itself.

Can I ask why is it that your in so much of a hurry that an elderly lady in the check out has you upset? Is their a legitimate reason for this frustration? I love lazing around as much as the next guy, but it's not enough to grow irate with an elderly person. Now if I had a dependant at home that was in dire need of my company, then yes, I would be slightly frustrated that I could not make it home any quicker. I would not be upset with the lady herself, I would just be frustrated.

Personally, I think we all need to slow down and enjoy life a little more. Getting upset at others who are taking their time with things, is only another indication that we ourselves need to slow down.

Time is valuable, and I would much rather spend my time doing things other than waiting behind some old lady in the *EXPRESS LANE* that wants to know when the 2 for 1 special on milk is going to end and whether she can get the special to apply to some organic milk that is not on sale or whether she can use the special to buy one milk and one orange juice. (This happened to me a couple days ago.) Once the whole milk thing got sorted out with the manager, in the *EXPRESS LANE* she used coupons which were out of date and from another store, then had the clerk go back and replace the items the coupon did not cover with an item she thought was on sale, but ended up not being on sale, so that sale had to get nixed. And oh, the express lane was 10 items or less and she had 15 items. There comes a time when common decency and decorum state someone should get out of the *EXPRESS LANE*.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of discussion. I agree with what your saying, because I am guilty of the same from time to time. But I do kick myself in the ass afterwards because I honestly do feel like we should try to be more patient, especially with the older crowd.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I agree with the OP, people generally suck, and dont think about their own behaviour as it pertains to their life experiences.

there are some of course that actually mature in their interactions with others as they get older, but there are always going to be people who refuse to accept their situation and rail against it and want to see others suffer as a result.

new topics

top topics

join