It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey of Theists About "Atheists"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
theists out there, i have a few questions about your opinions about atheists

1: Do you believe atheists can be good people?
2: Do you believe atheists have done anything good for the world
3: Do you believe atheists are a bad societal phenomenon that needs to end?
4: Do you seek to actively convert atheists?
5: Do you believe an atheist can get into your heaven?

edit: i use the term "atheist" in place of non-theists
why?
because surveys tend to lump all non-theists together

[edit on 1/7/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
1. No one is good.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
just a note on the fifth question
change it to:

5: Do you think an atheist can get into your version of heaven while remaining an atheist

also, i'd like a bit of an explaination about why you gave the answers you gave

and finally, if you want to add some other comments about your thoughts on atheists, feel free to

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

More often than not! At the very least, they are honest in many ways theists are not.

Definitely! EVERYONE has their part in the grand design...it may seem to be nothing more than a hobby or as intense as a life-long driving obsession, but we all have our part in the Big Production.

No. I believe atheism is a direct product of nominal/institutional christianity. It is a good sign that there are atheists; it means there are still those who refuse to follow the status quo.

Heck no. I don't seek to actively convert (or do) anything of that nature.

I don't have a heaven!
At least not one that i'm sharing. Just kidding about that last part!

I believe there is 'this side' and there is 'the other side.' Death and birth are the doorways to and fro. There is no where else to go but 'here' or 'there.'

because surveys tend to lump all non-theists together
Theists, too!

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Absolutley!!! However, I am unconvinced that they are capable of reaching their full potential without knowledge of something that transcends human expectations. It is sort of like a runner in a race. Runners who are in first place often imagine someone in front of them, to help them set a faster pace. If humanity has no higher entity to chase after or try to be like, what would motivate us to believe it is possible to be more than we already are? This is one of my thoughts on this subject.

2: Do you believe atheists have done anything good for the world.

Again, Absolutley YES

Not necessarily needs to end. However, perhaps ALL of humanity will not be permitted to move forward until atheists at least try to view their environment through the eyes of God. Try to answer the question: "If I were God, I would think like ...... ?". It's difficult to imagine anyone who does not believe in God can be capable of having enough empathy for such a concept to think in terms that transcends human expectations.

I actively seek to promote tolerance for other peoples beliefs. It would be nice if I lived in a world in which people were tolerant and supportive of other peoples thoughts and ideals, without first contemplating how their views may differ. It's human nature to first look for what threatens us, a usually unmentioned side affect of self preservation. I can see atheists writing scripts for science fiction stories which contain the same moral and ethical teachings as religions have to offer, so they obviously have benefitted me and my perspective. Although i earnestly try to share personal experiences that they are not prepared to accept, i can accept as real their personal experiences. So, although i do not actively seek to convert, it is obvious some instantaneiously are "put off" and stop listening to me at any mention of religion.

No and Yes. They are already here, but don't recognize it, and don't acknowledge it. But, regardless, they will be in my heaven eventually. Men do not choose that all be permitted in, their expectations of a select few are overridden by God's will. They choose to not integrate reality the same way, although i have integrated their reality the same way, once upon a time.

Interesting pole. Nice thread Madness!

[edit on 7-1-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

theists out there, i have a few questions about your opinions about atheists

I believe there are both good and bad people on both sides of the fence.

Certainly, there have been many great a man who have passed through that never claimed to recognize the great I AM.

I believe atheists are still just those whom God has not yet choosen to awaken to His truth. I am living proof of an athiest whom God has choosen to awaken. And for that I am eternally thank full...

For me its like Bertrand Russell's cave analolgy, (too long to share in a paragraph) if it was possible for me to bring another out of the cave to share in the true reality I would do it. God would do all the converting necessary...

I am not even sure which theist will get into God's place of dwelling...

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Those are some real good answers to some real difficult questions.

Kudos for your answers. Real and sincere.

thanks for sharing,
john

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by holidaystar1
For me its like Bertrand Russell's cave analolgy, (too long to share in a paragraph) if it was possible for me to bring another out of the cave to share in the true reality I would do it. God would do all the converting necessary...

i'm unfamiliar with the writings of russel, the only cave analogy i've heard of is plato's

and in his, the one who attempts to show people "the light" get brutally slain....

care to explain russel's cave analogy?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I'm not convinced that my heaven will even exist without the approval of those who consider themselves atheists.

In my heaven, no child gets left behind.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Absolutley!!! However, I am unconvinced that they are capable of reaching their full potential without knowledge of something that transcends human expectations. It is sort of like a runner in a race. Runners who are in first place often imagine someone in front of them, to help them set a faster pace. If humanity has no higher entity to chase after or try to be like, what would motivate us to believe it is possible to be more than we already are? This is one of my thoughts on this subject.

2: Do you believe atheists have done anything good for the world.

Again, Absolutley YES

Not necessarily needs to end. However, perhaps ALL of humanity will not be permitted to move forward until atheists at least try to view their environment through the eyes of God. Try to answer the question: "If I were God, I would think like ...... ?". It's difficult to imagine anyone who does not believe in God can be capable of having enough empathy for such a concept to think in terms that transcends human expectations.

I actively seek to promote tolerance for other peoples beliefs. It would be nice if I lived in a world in which people were tolerant and supportive of other peoples thoughts and ideals, without first contemplating how their views may differ. It's human nature to first look for what threatens us, a usually unmentioned side affect of self preservation. I can see atheists writing scripts for science fiction stories which contain the same moral and ethical teachings as religions have to offer, so they obviously have benefitted me and my perspective. Although i earnestly try to share personal experiences that they are not prepared to accept, i can accept as real their personal experiences. So, although i do not actively seek to convert, it is obvious some instantaneiously are "put off" and stop listening to me at any mention of religion.

No and Yes. They are already here, but don't recognize it, and don't acknowledge it. But, regardless, they will be in my heaven eventually. Men do not choose that all be permitted in, their expectations of a select few are overridden by God's will. They choose to not integrate reality the same way, although i have integrated their reality the same way, once upon a time.

Interesting pole. Nice thread Madness!

[edit on 7-1-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

Esoteric Teacher, great reply!!! I could not have said it better. If you care, I voted you for way above top secret for the month of January. You and queenannie38 frequently blow me away with your intelligence.

I might add that with God, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. It may come down to a percentage game, but those percentages can change like the position of a leaf in the wind. I am completely a theist, but atheists might have more potential to "move up."

Pray for atheists as we pray for everybody.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

No, but I do not believe theists can be either. All the world has a measure of duality to it, therefore I do not see atheists as better or worse than a theist.

Nothing more or less than theists have done for the world.

No.

No.

Yes.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
just something i was wondering
are any of the mods on FST or conspiracies in religion atheists or some other form of non-christian?

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
1) No. The bible explains that no one is good.
2) Yes. People of all types and all walks have done good for the world.
3) Yes. If everyone followed Christ this world would be much better off.
4) Yes. The gifts and changes in my life since accepting Christ are something I want to share with everyone.
5) Yes. God is the Judge. For certain, there will be many who call themselves Christians who won't be "get in".

new topics

top topics

join