It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital Video Recorder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Next to sliced bread, this has to be the greatest invention of all-time. My girlfriend snagged me a new Plasma HD television for Christmas, and early this week we upgraded our Digital cable to the HD digital cable. For a few bucks extra, I took the one with a Digital Video Recorder in it. Never thought much of it at the time, but I'm currently wondering how I ever lived without it.

It's not so much that I can pause, stop, or rewind live television, it is that I can record a show, without watching it! For instance, yesterday there was a hockey game on that I did not have the time to watch. Clicked record, turned the television off, and went on my merry way. When I got home later in the evening, I clicked over and watched the game as if it were live.

I'll never miss another show, sporting event, anything, ever again.

Does anyone else have one of these in their home?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
You're totally right, HD is a huge leap forward in resolution quality, and rewinding live television is great.

But...

it is that I can record a show, without watching it!

Haven't you not heard of a VCR before? This date back two centuries ago we could record unattended or schedule a precise time to start recording then watch it later when we come back.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
But the channel had to be tuned to record on the VCR. The VCR recorded whatever was displayed on the screen. With the DVR, I can set it to record specific shows. Two nights ago I watched a movie while recording an episode of Law & Order. When the movie ended, I watched the episode of Law & Order.

The capabilities of the VCR can not even be compared to the DVR.

You can set it to record specific shows. So if the times of shows are changed, unannounced, it will still record.

While I recorded the hockey game yesterday, I was out officiating a junior game. My girlfriend was home watching television, able to flick to whatever channel she wished. Very small things never cease to amaze me. The ability to record shows while watching others is something that I had never fathomed.

Originally posted by ufia
Haven't you not heard of a VCR before? This date back two centuries ago we could record unattended or schedule a precise time to start recording then watch it later when we come back.

Two centuries? Sure about that one? I'm thinking a very slight exaggeration.

Am I wrong about the VCR? Could you record live television while watching another channel? I don't think you could.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
But the channel had to be tuned to record on the VCR. The VCR recorded whatever was displayed on the screen.

Oh ok I see what you mean. Yea being able to switch channels while recording makes a big difference.

Two centuries? Sure about that one? I'm thinking a very slight exaggeration.

Of course I was exaggerating. I think television was not yet invented two centuries ago, or was it? I'm too lazy to look it up on Wikipedia at the moment.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I would of been pissed if the VCR had that capability. Thank you for your post.

I was only poking fun at the two centuries statement. I can not be bothered myself.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I have that too, and use the fuctions everyday. It's amazing.

I've had it for about a year now.

I always record show's when I'm not around, or late at night when I'm not watching tv. Then play it back when it's a good time for me.

Then if you are watching a show and have to do something, you can just pause it! It's great.

I also have some show's on that I record the entire season. So everyweek when a new episode is on it records automaticaly.

Great, great invention.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Agreed.

I recorded the hockey game yesterday and it was great skimming through. Couldn't be bothered to watch when Montreal was short handed, skipping the commercials, ahh it was great.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The only problem is everyone fights over who can record shows

And probably the simplest piece of it, the Guide tool, is my favortie. I always had to spend 10 minutes waiting for TV Guide to see the channel I want, only to see that they didn't show that time yet. Now I can see whats on what channel, at anytime up to a week ahead!

[edit on 7/1/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Yeah I have nights where the remote does nothing but turn the television on and off. I'll have the nights scheduled planned out well in advance. After getting used to all of these benefits, I could never go back to standard cable.

Spoiled, simply spoiled!

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yeah!

And not to mention all the On Demand shows....watch anything you want at anytime.

I could go on and on with all the cool things it has.

Too much TV?

No way.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I've got a TiVO with a built in DVD recorder. It's very cool, I never miss anything anymore! I can even tell it to record something on the Internet from anywhere in the world.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I used to. But meh bills were getting too high. I still think it would be cool if they let you record On Demand Movies. Like that would ever happen

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDesigner
I still think it would be cool if they let you record On Demand Movies. Like that would ever happen

I must admit I tried many times to record them.

That'd be awsome though

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
From the standard Digital Cable to the HD Digital Cable with the DVR Box, it only came with an extra cost of about $17. That includes renting the Box every month, and the service of HD channels. $17 well spent in my opinion.

This morning I woke up, day off, and watched several episodes from this past week that I had not had the time too. The War At Home, Law & Order SVU, Law & Order CI, Til' Death, and a DeNiro flick, "15 Minutes".

Stunned from time to time though. When I am watching the recording, I'll switch to another channel when a commercial comes on. When all that I have to do is fast forward through the commercials and back to the show.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

After I got home I sat down and watched an episode of Detroit SWAT that I recorded last night.

join