It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low Carb Recipes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Anyone have any exceptional low-carb recipes to share? I've been back on the diet for a few days now (New Year's resolution), and am starting to get tired of fried meat in a fairly lowcarb sauce already!

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
What kind of foods are you looking for?
I have some recipes from my low carb days I could share.
What kind of carb count per serving?

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Oh pretty much anything that'll fit in with that diet.

The only thing I don't really like is seafood.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This is kind of a tasty dish, but too rich for my less-LC diet:

8 ounces canadian bacon, in small cubes
8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
5 egg, extra large, beaten
4 tablespoons half and half
2 teaspoons parsley, freeze-dried
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese

1. Grease 8x8 pan. Arrange cubed canadian bacon evenly over bottom.

2. Beat eggs. Add swiss cheese, half and half, pepper and parsley. Pour into pan. Sprinkle with paprika and parmesan.

3. Bake at 400 for 10-25 minutes, or until desired doneness.

Serves 4.
Per Serving : 454 Calories; 30g Fat (60.4% calories from fat); 39g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 398mg Cholesterol; 1137mg Sodium.

Recipes are mine and no copyright is involved.

BTW, dj, do you like yogurt?
I have an awesome recipe that does not require a yogurt maker. It's very rich and a perfect addition to some strawberries or other LC fruit of choice.

[edit on 7-1-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
3/4 cup saltine cracker crumbs
1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
2 large eggs
1/4 cup baking mix, LC
4 pork loin chops (each about 1 inch thick)bone-in center-cut
2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix Saltine Crumbs, Parmesan, sage and lemon peel in pie dish. Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Place LC baking mix on plate; season generously with salt and pepper. Coat pork chops on both sides with mix; shake off excess. Dip chops into eggs, then coat on both sides with Keto Crumb mixture.

2. Melt butter with oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet with pork to oven. Bake until pork chops are crisp on the outside and meat thermometer inserted into pork registers 150°F, about 20 minutes.

3. Transfer pork chops to plates. Garnish with lemon wedges if desired, and serve.

4. Makes 4 servings

Per Serving : 450 Calories; 29g Fat (58.1% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 172mg Cholesterol; 631mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat.
Recipe assumes an average size pork chop.

Recipes are mine and no copyright infringement is involved.

[edit on 7-1-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Those look great, thanks DTOM!

And yeah, I like yogurt.

My only question is what is/where can you get low carb baking mix?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Well, you make it yourself.
This recipe does have some special ingredients, which I adlibbed from other sources.
As you may know, store bought can get expensive IF you can rind it

This goes a long way and is great for "breading" cut of meat. I never tried it for biscuits or anything like that though.
Whey protein powder makes good fruit shakes, too--another great meal idea.

1 cup soya powder
2 cups whey protein powder, alltheWhey (the brand I used, available online)
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons splenda

Mix well and then sift together. I store mine in the refrigerator and use in the same proportions as any recipe calling for low carb bake mix.

Per Serving : 140 Calories; 4g Fat (25.1% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 20mg Cholesterol; 1275mg Sodium.
Serving = 1/2 cup. Recipe makes about 3 cups.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Just looking at the fat content (60 % of calories from fat in the one!) in those recipes....

It's more than I normally get in a day, much less one meal!
I don't really know anything about low carb diets, but is that sort of fat content normal?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
parr, yes. Lo carb foods are many times high in fat. My sister lost 50 lbs on a NO carb diet. She ate eggs, meat and cheese and lost nearly all her excess weight. If your system can handle it, I support it. You'd have to read about lo-carb to understand how carbs actually hold the fat in your body. If you eat lo carb, the fat doesn't hang around.

That's the theory anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Wow.

That kinda fat content doesn't do well with my stomach at all. I'd be so unsettled eating just meat, cheese and eggs.

I've found in the last little while especially (i stopped eating out almost completely) that I function best with lighter fare like fruits, veggies and grains (I'm a vegetarian going on 3 months now).

I think I'll do a bit of reading on that though, it sounds interesting!

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Yeah, almost no car (like less than 40 grams per day) the fat doesn't hang around. If you let the carbs creep past that, well, I stalled out.
And, as the carb count grew, I found I had to pare the fat way down too.

I lost almost 30 pounds three years ago and pretty much kept it off.
I eat more "normally" now, but lots more whole grains. (Kashi sells a nice whole grain pilaf that we like and I make my own granola.)
I eat a lot of Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice, but you have to watch the sodium on some of those.
The only ill effect I had from extremely low card was a bout of hair loss--I was sheddin for a couple fo months as my body adjusted from mega carbs to 20-40 grams per day.

top topics

join