It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pig Farmer & Muslim Confusion in Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Muslims in Katy Texas bought 11 acres of land next to a farm that has been there for about 200 years. The new landowners demanded the farm's owner move because they planned to build a mosque on their newly acquired land and didn't want pigs nearby. The farmer has fought back by holding pig race parties on his land on Fridays (the Muslim holy day), with quite a bit of support from the community, whose members have paid between $100 and $1000 each to sponsor the events.

www.foxnews.com
KATY, Texas — When an Islamic group moved in next door and told Craig Baker the pigs on his family's 200-year-old Texas farm had to go, he and his swine decided to fight back.

In protest of being asked to move, Davis began staging elaborate pig races on Friday afternoons — one of the Islamic world's most holy days.

Craig's neighbors, the Katy Islamic Association, have plans to build a mosque and community compound on the 11 acres they purchased alongside his farm.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The people who bought this land have the right to build a mosque and Islamic community center, but certainly don't have the right to bully a neighboring landowner to change his perfectly legal activities to suit them. If the Islamic community didn't want to build their mosque next to a pig farm, they should have sought other land with different zoning regulations.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Muslim Cabbies Refuse Passengers With Alcohol Or Dogs

Corrected title to reflect story... and move from ATSNN.

[edit on 6-1-2007 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

KATY, Texas (AP) -- A man unhappy with an Islamic association's plans to build a mosque next to his property has staged pig races as a protest during afternoon prayers.

Craig Baker, 46, sold merchandise and grilled sausages Friday for about 100 people who showed up in heavy rain. He insisted he wasn't trying to offend anyone with the pigs, which are forbidden from the Muslim diet.

"I am just defending my rights and my property," Baker said. "They totally disrespected me and my family."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here is a link from CNN on the story. Apparently the whole thing was a communication mix up, but this Baker fellow is holding pig races anyway and is acting like a "total idiot."

Mod edit: added news-tags and shortened quote. Don't quote entire articles! People can click the link to read the rest. Add ex-tags or news-tags to quoted parts in the future.

[edit on 2007/1/5 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well I guess the neighbords just will have to learn to get alone with each other, one with pigs the other with their mosque.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Hmm, the CNN story, which includes quotes from both sides, seems to portray a mix up of sorts.

Me thinks the title of this thread needs to be changed as it would appear that the Farmer was not told to "Get Out", but rather just remove his cattle from the newly acquired land.

One could ask why the cattle where there in the first place, seeing as it wasn't the farmers land....

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
"It wasn't mean-spirited; it was just Texas-spirited" lol
I think I'll start using that in reference to George Bush.

I think this story really underscores the social problems you create when you let propagandists make a crusade out of a war for political reasons.

Would this miscommunication have happened if it was a Hindu group?

"Oh, you're them terrorist fellas that don't like pigs and you're here for my daddy's farm, yee haw, let's try to run eachother off!"

This guy seems like he's figured out that he was mistaken, so obviously he's only a partial moron- which makes me wonder if he would have figured it out sooner if not for the anti-muslim sentiment the right has been pushing in the media with the whole "Islamofascist" thing.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
You know I am wondering also if we are seen more incidents of clashes because the results of the anti-muslin propaganda.

Occurs I imagine that is always clashes with religion even within Christian denominations.

Even here in my neck of the wood people protest churches even when they are all Christian, some just don't want to deal with them in their neighbors, or just because they will compete with established ones already in one area.

But we must be careful how religious issues should be handle.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
So CNN picks up a wire story and FOX actually sends reporters there (VIDEO) to get the story, yet CNN is deemed more reliable.

[edit on 1/6/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Sorry to be such a Fox skeptic but as a long time viewer who has just had it with them, I'm not surprised. If you only want half of the story, you've gotta go down and talk to one half of the participants.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Texas is full of some of the most unwarrented arogance I have ever seen. Apparently, being born in Texas automatically makes one a more superior member of the human race. I can understand why there was a misunderstanding.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

I think this story really underscores the social problems you create when you let propagandists make a crusade out of a war for political reasons.

This guy seems like he's figured out that he was mistaken, so obviously he's only a partial moron- which makes me wonder if he would have figured it out sooner if not for the anti-muslim sentiment the right has been pushing in the media with the whole "Islamofascist" thing.

So he should relent, and be a good Dhimmi?

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The reason I'm unimpressed with Fox on this story is they had already published the AP wire story over a month before this story was run.

From Fox on December 7, 2006:

The dispute began when the group asked Baker to remove his cattle from their newly bought land. Baker agreed but mistakenly thought the Muslims also wanted him off the land his family has lived on for more than 100 years. The rumor spread.

Though he now concedes the Muslims are probably not after his land, Baker said he is obligated to go through with the pig races, probably within the next few weeks, because "I would be like a total idiot if I didn't. I'd be the laughingstock now because I've gone too far."

I think it's a little misleading to their viewers and readers to go and publish the originally quoted article on January 4. Fox already knew that it was a misunderstanding, assuming that they read what they publish on their website.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I don't care what he chooses to be; he's more than welcome to be the last living Bull Moose. Regardless of politics, the human thing to do is to exercise some critical thinking and not let propaganda tell you what a group of people were like.

This man misunderstood some people and reacted very strongly in a situation that you wouldn't think would be all that hard to understand. It seems quite possible that he entered the situation with a false expectation of trouble because of the bad rap the media gives Muslims, and if that's what caused the misunderstanding, he needs to recognize that and correct it.

He isn't alone with the blame though. The media that pushes this stuff (Faux News Network and others) and the partisan hacks who create a market for it are all enablers, and it's taking this country in a direction it should never go in, socially speaking.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GT100FV

So he should relent, and be a good Dhimmi?

What?

have you even read what actually transpired? The dude had his cattle on someone else's property and was asked to remove it. No one asked him to move his pig farm or get off his land.

I think he should relent and be a good human, rather than continue tresspassing, which is what he was doing with his cattle.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Taken from the CNN story

"Baker agreed to move his cattle but thought the Muslims also wanted him off the land his family has lived on for more than 100 years."

The last part there is confusing though-who was the land purchased from, if in fact this guy's family had lived there that long, and had there been an agreement between him and the prior owner?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
Texas is full of some of the most unwarrented arogance I have ever seen. Apparently, being born in Texas automatically makes one a more superior member of the human race. I can understand why there was a misunderstanding.

At least in Texas we know what a dictionary is.The definition of unwarranted would be your lame comments about Texans.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by opinionsarefree

At least in Texas we know what a dictionary is.The definition of unwarranted would be your lame comments about Texans.

So, are you saying that being born in Texas automatically does make one a more superior member of the human race?

[edit on 1/7/2007 by darkelf]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by opinionsarefree

So, are you saying that being born in Texas automatically does make one a more superior member of the human race?

[edit on 1/7/2007 by darkelf]

As an Oklahoman, I can tell you that is exactly what Texans think!

That being said, if I had to move to another state then Oklahoma, Texas would be one of my top choices (seeing that Oklahoma is basicly land that was "borrowed" from the Indians after Texas decieded that didn't need anything much north of the Red River.

After reading both sides, I would say that the farmer probably had some sort of arrangement with the previous land owners that his cattle could graze (for those of you NOT from the American Midwest, there is often no marker between property, it's often just wide open space with rough estimates or at best a strand of barb wire marking property lines.

My guess is the Muslim group asked to have the cattle removed, but probably also made some comments about the farmers pig, which the farmer may have taken a bit to seriously (or they may have intended the comments to be serious). So the farmer, on his land, decieded to throw a little party (protest). Arrogent or not, it's his property, in open country, and he can do just about whatever he wants.

The next thing he should do is during the Mosque gatherings he should have a bunch a friends for trap shooting or rifle practice. As long as the rounds don't go over the property line (just shoot parrallel to it) it's perfectly ok.
God bless Texas and Oklahoma!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The farmer has fought back by holding pig race parties on his land on Fridays (the Muslim holy day),

Thats not whats happening.

People really over-estimate how muslims feel about pigs. Jews don't eat pigs also, but they don't cringe at the sight of them. Lots of hindus consider the cow to be sacred, but there are still cow farms and tanneries in india. Hell, there are pigs in the middle east too I am sure. Just like there are wineries in Iran for example (shiraz, Omar Khayaam, etc).

Sounds like this texan is just a dumb goober. Go figure.

The dispute began when the association asked Baker to remove his cattle from its newly bought land[...]Baker conceded that the Muslims probably aren't after his land, but he said he had to go through with the pig races because "I would be like a total idiot if I didn't. I'd be the laughingstock now because I've gone too far."
[emph added]

Err.....guess what. He still looks like a total idiot. He's too stupid to realize that muslims' don't give a damn about pigs, and on top of thinking that they'd be hurt and insulted by it, he goes and does it anyway, just to look tough in front of his goober buddies.

What a dumbass.

edition.cnn.com...
Resident Susan Canavespe said the pig racing wasn't mean-spirited -- "It's just Texas-spirited."

Great, one of the other dumb redneck goobers weighs in.
This is the same state that produced the yahoos that, after wanting to beat up some muslims after 911, throttled sikhs. Because they were wearing turbans, which these morons were too ignorant and simple to realize is just a hat.

yet CNN is deemed more reliable.

Yep. Thats beacuse FOX is really degenerating in terms of its news content. Hell, they've been citing WorldNutDaily as a source these days.

www.foxnews.com...
But things turned sour at a town meeting, where Baker says Fotouh insulted him by asking him to move.

They sent a crew down there to get a vid of the pig race. They asked the goon himself for his take on the story, where he told them he was told to leave. Which, agian, he wasn't.
Yep, seems like that WND effect is taking over.

Also, from the phrasing, it sounds more like Fotouh didn't seriously suggest that he actually move, more like he said 'then maybe you should move, you dumb jerk'.

What a friggin' baby.

www.foxnews.com...
many say they don't want the mosque either. Some fear it will appear out of place and hurt their property values.

Thats whats really going on. These hicks don't want muslims living around them. So they are going to throw a fit.

thevagabond
He isn't alone with the blame though. The media that pushes this stuff (Faux News Network and others) and the partisan hacks who create a market for it are all enablers, and it's taking this country in a direction it should never go in, socially speaking.

I honestly don't think it requires a media campaign to get hicks in the middle of bumblefork texas to be dumb ignorant bastards. Its simply natural.

[edit on 8-1-2007 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
What is it with all of the Texas bashing? This thread isnt about Texas, and I respectfully request that you keep your comments concerning it to yourself.

Now back on topic. So as I understand it there is no longer an issue between the two? Was this only in the news because it involved Muslims?

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Kudos

Finally a topic with an undertone of a joke potrayed so perfectly.

Nearly fell out of my chair laughing.. you go boy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join