It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man faces life imprisonment for chanting slogans at rally

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Funny how things works in our world and specially in our nation that is becoming oppressive on freedom of speech as long as is not directed to our own nation and allies.

But is OK to want the death of muslin and countries that our nation claims are the enemy of us.

I call it forced patriotism.

There are limits on the freedom of speech. You can't incite violence, cause panic, talk about bombs in airports, start riots. There's a difference between expressing a point of view, and being involved in a huge, and violent mob chanting death threats. Do you really draw a parallel between folks upset at an ideology that hates the West and wishes its destruction, and those involved in mobs shouting death threats towards the West?

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by 21high

Originally posted by soficrow
What happens to people who shout,

"Bomb Iran!" or...

"Bomb Iraq!"

or

"Bomb North Korea!"

Exactly! If this was the case it wouldn't even be a story. Life imprisonment is overly excessive considering the fact that what he said, is no different to a politician or some church leaders saying that we need to bomb a country such as Iran.

These double standards are going to make free speach a tricky game to play in the real world or on the internet......if it isn't already.

I'm not saying I agree with what he said, but there's no way in hell that he should lose his life over it when we have the same messages being repeated by our "esteemed" leaders.

I bet ya I can find, even here on ATS, a douzen posts over the last 5 years that state the writer wants:

Turn Iraq into a glass parkinglot.
Turn Iran into a glass parkinglot.
Turn Palestine into a glass parkinlot.
Turn Afghanistan into a glass parkinglot.
Turn the ENTIRE Middle East into a glass parkinglot.

Also need to note the instances of:

Just kill Chavez.
Just kill Castro.
Just kill Arafat (may he rest in peace).

Etc Etc.

Offcource there are probably a few 1000 variations on the 2 examples to be found.

Double standards are retarded and prove the terrorists point.

Another good example of this do as we say but don't do as we do mentality in the US and Britain is the torture, pre-emptive warfare and active development and useage of forbidden weapons, both biological, chemical and nuclear.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I call it forced patriotism.

I call it suitable mind control for the government along with many other things they enslave upon our consciousness.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I find it amazing at the inability to see the difference for wishing ill towards an enemy state, leader, or ideology, and having demonstrations calling for violence in the country(or allies of the country) that the demonstration is being held in. Having a bumper sticker with a quaint "Bomb Iran" slogan isn't going to incite violence against Iran. A violent mob, comprised of folks with a propensity to commit violence is another matter. What do you think would happen if a group of westerners went to Beirut or Tehran, and started insulting Islam and called for bombing of Islamic countries, assassinating leaders, etc... Their heads would be on sticks.

[edit on 6-1-2007 by GT100FV]

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am not for violence but this guy doesn't even desurve to be arrested... this is disgusting i can't even believe we are to a point where they single out one person in a croud of protesters and judge him, single him out and then give him life in jail.... wow that's just.. im speechless.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Also need to note the instances of:

Just kill Chavez.
Just kill Castro.
Just kill Arafat (may he rest in peace).

Double standards are retarded and prove the terrorists point.

You got my way above vote

you got the point, we even have religious leaders advocating publicly for the decimation of other leaders in less than friendly countries and they don't get arrested and put in jail for life.

The Irony of double standards

Good point.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join