It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Trials Begin for Experimental DNA-Based Bird Flu Vaccine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The US National Institutes of Health (NIH) report that they have begun human testing on a H5N1 bird flu vaccine that uses experimental DNA technology. DNA-based flu vaccines hypothetically will work on ALL forms of flu, until they start to mutate. The vaccine will be delivered using Biojector's needle-free drug delivery system.

Human Tests For Bird Flu Vaccine Begin

Government scientists say that an experimental vaccine technology could give them a jump on the constantly mutating bird flu virus.

National Institutes of Health (NIH) researchers are in the opening stages of testing on humans a new vaccine against H5N1, the pathogen behind the bird flu outbreak that has sickened at least 261 people since 2003.

The vaccine will also offer a first pass at using experimental DNA technology to make vaccines against flu. Instead of using weakened or killed viruses to prompt immunity in patients, the new vaccine uses chunks of the genetic material of the flu virus to get the body to react and hopefully form a defense against infection. The vaccine does not contain any infectious material and cannot cause infection.

NIH Utilizes Biojector(R) 2000 in Avian Influenza Study

Bioject Medical Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: BJCT) , a leading developer of needle-free drug delivery systems, today announced that the National Institutes of Health ("NIH") is utilizing the Biojector(R) 2000 ("B2000") in its first human trial of a DNA vaccine designed to prevent H5N1 avian influenza infection. The vaccine was administered to the first volunteer a few weeks ago at the NIH clinical center in Bethesda, MD.

The study will enroll 45 volunteers between the ages of 18 and 60. Fifteen will receive placebo injections and 30 will receive three injections of the investigational vaccine over two months and will be followed for one year. Volunteers will not be exposed to influenza virus.

It's not snake oil.

But at least snake oil did not force - and speed - the evolutionary process.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This sounds like a bad science fiction movie, have we done other trials on DNA base cures before?

And if we have done it, what have been the side effects of it.

Any information on that?

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Thanks marg - a good heads up.

I have an article about DNA experiments on file - and meant to get to it sooner.

BBL

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The only DNA testing done was on animals for certain diseases but I cannot find anything on humans testing.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Can you post a link to your references, please?

The greatest danger imo - is creating new diseases that target DNA, or forcing an old disease to evolve in a new direction that we can't treat.

Thanks, sofi

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

www.sciencedaily.com...

These are the links I found and are from the same source.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I forgot all about this track.

The prion vaccine.

How could I forget THAT?!

But the vaccine didn't really work, so now they're genetic engineering to get rid of the so-called "prion protein." More yucks.

Wish they'd just admit prion diseases are pandemic and get it over with.

new topics

top topics

join