It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long do cats suckle for?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Both my cats are 9 months old and all they want to do is suckle on my shirt. How long does this go on for?

I can't pick them up without them going for my shirt, does anyone else have this same problem?

Peace

[edit on 5-1-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
lol,. aww they see you as there mommy

Its what they do when they feel at ease and content, so you must treat them well and they must love you loads,

I would suggest just gently putting them on the floor and turning there attention to a toy,

just taking there mind of it may help wean them off,

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have done that asala, but they're relentless. I walk around with wet spots on my shirt all day.

Peace

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Its supposed to be six weeks I think but I have seen adult cats sucking a nursing Mamma. I just don't get it.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Hey DR.

It's supposed to be 5-6 weeks.
But they can continue to do this thing we call "makin biscuits" for years
afterward. Where they knead with their paws, claws out a little. and purring like
crazy..

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
My cat goes after my ear lobes to suck. He's probably two years old and has been doing less frequently but once he starts, it's hard to pull him away.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Most of my kittens slow down after about 7-8 weeks, but they still will suckle from the mother before sleeping or during group grooming for months if I keep a kitten.

My old male is 14 years old and he still tries to suckle the skin on my arms or my clothing. My husband lets him do it, but I give him a gentle tap on the nose when he tries it on me. For the most part he's stopped doing it to me, but he's still a big suck for attention.

I agree with asala, your cat loves you very much.
So spread the love Dr Love, you must be a real sweet guy.......

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I don't own any pets, but this interests me, i'm assuming it's milk that their after so is there any kind of bottle for kittens you can get, and when they try it, give them some out of the bottle and slowly wean them off it to drink from a saucer.

I could be completely wrong but this might be an idea...

[edit on 5-1-2007 by chris01621]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My wife and I have a 2 year old female cat and ever since we got her (when she was maybe 8 weeks old) she has been sucking on my wife's neck at various times throughout the night. She still does it regularly now two years later. It's strange but I guess she does feel that my wife is her mother. She won't go near my neck......makes me jealous....

But seriously, my wife actually likes it.....must be her maternal instinct.....either that or my wife is a wacko!!

new topics

top topics

join