It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitachi Introduces 1-Terabyte Hard Drive

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
It was right at ten years ago I bought my first computer, An Acer. It had 16 mbs of ram and a two gig HD. I figured i'd never be able to fill up a monstrous disk like that.

Now I have 160 gigs of HD and i'm burning stuff to DVDs and CD's because I don't have room for all the information.

I'm ready for a teraflop drive

I hear you.

Our first "computer" was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A

oldcomputers.net...

That was fun, my parents wouldn't but games for it, so we would spend hours typing programs in Basic out of computer magazines then storing them on audio tapes.

Our next computer was a zenith "IBM clone". It was quite a step up, it had 2 floppy drives (no hard drive) and cost around 3 grand. Of course I think several programs were included in that cost ( MS flight simulator, word perfect etc)

My how times have changed.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
for any member considering getting the 1tb lacie drive neonhaze showed - DON'T!

4 hard drives in a raid-0 striped arrangement... lose one drive and you lose ALL your data).

I always wondered how Lacie 1TB drives worked. I figured they were using possibly Spanned drives but I wasn't sure. Justyc in all honesty no drive manufacturer offers any type of data recovery as part of their warranty. Its always been the end users responsibility to back up data or send it out for recovery (Ontrack is probably the best but very expensive)
For a drive that size you would probably need a big DDS/DAT/DLT drive with an autoloader to back up your data on a constant basis. You can span 2 500GB HDD's under XP pro and do the same thing. As you said though if one drive goes the whole thing gets blown out.

I can imagine the heat being put out by 4 hard disks in that small case , plus the PSU unit. I'd probably consider modifying the case once its out of warranty and put in a large 120mm fan or something to cool it down. Might look ugly but may help the drives last longer.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
for any member considering getting the 1tb lacie drive neonhaze showed - DON'T!

Hey... I'm not a sales guy for LACie you know???

I did not say it was the most stable form of storage, I simply said that a 1tb external drive has been available to buy for a while.

I can name loads of different NAS solutions… probably the most used are the DELL Powervault NAS boxes. These commonly have 45+ drives in them….

However the LaCie drive is the cheapest and aimed at the wider residential consumer market. I think you may find it very very hard to find 1TB of storage for less than £330

i have been through 2 of them already within the warranty time of the 1st one. they have a defective power supply which runs too hot, blows the casing of the power supply and takes out the hard drive (which is actually 4 hard drives in a raid-0 striped arrangement... lose one drive and you lose ALL your data).

Warranty is 24 months. So you have had one replaced free of charge is the correct?

In terms of RAID, the LaCie offers a Hardware RAID controller and so is far less likely to suffer a fatal error.

The power supply runs a temp gauge that actually alters the speed of the fan depending on the temp of the drives.

Though I have to say to anyone that is serious about running high spec hardware to maintain it in a controlled environment.

I have been to several clients who expected to be running at full speed with their hardware trapped in some cupboard somewhere...

In a word plenty of ventilation and if possible fully maintain control of the environment your hardware sits within. There are a number of racks that offer true environment controls ready to go.

Though I always recommend building your own racks, saves money and enables you to offer a decent SLA if you are operating a customer base.

The LaCie drive I mentioned offers a two 500GB drive box and is in raid 0, though I think the original box was indeed 4 250GB drives.

lacie offer no data recovery solution and will only format if possible or replace your drives if faulty

I would say that most who have a need for this amount of storage space should have enough tech knowledge to know about fail over safe / data resilience and disaster recovery.

I have often used no less than 5 or 6 NAS boxes in totally different locations around the globe to ensure true data resilience.

you are much better off buying a few large capacity hard drives than buying a lacie drive because you at least have a chance of recovering your data should one fail

Take a look at the following paper.. may have helped.

EVENODD: An Optimal Scheme for Tolerating Double Disk Failures in RAID Architecture

And for anyone who is interested in owning the LaCie 1TB external drive then i found a place you can own it for only £330!!! Though this is likely to be the 4 drive box, not that that should bother you too much.

Ebay - LaCie 1TB drive

Lastly I would say, the moral of your story should be BACKUPS... Ensure you backup all critical data in more than one location.

For anyone who is expecting a trouble free tech existence... Sorry doesn't exist... you have to know how to go over the obstacles is all.

Think positive and don't give up!!

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 7-1-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Im very psyched about the new 32GB Solid State drive just recently introduced by Sandisk for notebooks. about 100 times faster then a regular ATA hard drive. Now thats going to kick some HDD azz. Its faster then a Raptor drive thats for sure. Its about 600.00 for the 32GB drive right now. In about a year tht will drop and bigger capacities will be available.

I've seen the video of 2 nearly identical Hitachi laptops boot up XP...one of them had the 32gb SSD...and it only botted XP like 6 seconds faster then the one without it........thats not to impressive.

Props to Hitachi on hitting the 1TB marker......If memory serves, Samsung said a few months ago (a little after they released the 750GB drive), they said that they would be releasing a 1TB drive for the Holiday season of 07'....I have a feeling their ramping up their production speed now...

x08

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've only ever lost data once (after learning how to use the search feature on my pc)...

that was when my wife decided to drink a glass of water, use the notebook and watch a comedy show at the same time...

H20 + CPU = you do the math~

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join