It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Geminid Meteor Shower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
sounds pretty cool...
"
In 2003, the Geminid meteor shower will peak during the night of December 13�14, producing as many as 75 slow, graceful Geminids per hour if viewed under ideal conditions. They tend to be bright and appear yellow. Rates increase steadily for several days before maximum, then drop off quickly. The meteors that do appear after maximum, however, tend to be especially bright.

This year a bright gibbous Moon will be in the sky during the shower�s prime viewing hours, which start around 10 p.m. local time each night and last until dawn. Strong moonlight will sharply reduce the number of faint meteors seen. By definition, a Geminid is a meteor whose path, extended backward, crosses the shower�s radiant point near Castor.

Observers can use our interactive sky chart to see the appearance of the sky at 2:00 a.m. during the peak morning of the Geminids. The chart is set at 40� north latitude for central North America. On the chart, the meteor shower name and symbol is visible in both windows. Click on the "change" button to alter either the date and time or viewing location displayed by the chart. "

The Geminids: An Exception to the Rule

The Geminids

Interactive Sky Chart

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm seeing an awsome light show tonight....they are bright I got my camera on 16 sec exp tryin to get some on film

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Thanks for heads up!
I just went outside and caught a real bright one inspite of the moon being directly overhead.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   
They make a WHIZZ sound.
Kinda like blowing real hard thru a straw.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'll bet it's nice a cloudy round these parts tonight.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
the ones I saw last night would be easy to see through light clouds. They were really bright.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Aha, that explains it.

I assume these would be visible from the southern hemisphere?

I was drinking outside at a mates birthday party earlier and everyone commented that there was quite a lot of very bright shooting stars occuring. I guess this would explain it?

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yeah..its quite cloudy around here in California lately...don't think I'll get to see them...

-wD

top topics

join