It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aren't you Brits/Aussie/Kiwis/Canadians embarrased?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Here is a report that shows charitable giving by country as a percentage of GDP.

US: 1.7
UK: 0.73
CA: 0.72
AUS: 0.69
NZ: 0.29
GER: 0.22
FRA: 0.14

My question to all those folks from the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, that start threads at least once a week tacitly attacking the intelligence, will, and moral character of American citizens, is how do they feel about living in societies that don't seem to care about their fellow humans as much as Americans do.

Sorry for the run on sentance.

Can't wait to hear from you.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This is, however, measuring how much the individual citizens from the country give, not what the government gives in terms of aid.

I've heard of other studies that show that conservatives individually tend to give more than people on the left. The explanation is that conservatives expect the government not to give out public support, and the people on the left expect it to come from the government.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well that's interesting. When it comes to foreign aid as percentage of GDP, the United States is trounced by nearly every industrialized nation.

The only explanation I can give is that Australians/Britons (I can only speak for these two since I'm a dual national of both) already give vastly more to social welfare programs already via taxes then Americans do. Remember those countries you cited have universal health coverage and many social welfare programs already. They are funded by the tax payer as is.

You might want to factor that into whether or not we feel "embarrassed" about the extent of our charitable deeds.

I've found a chart for Foreign Aid as Percentage of GNI. Let's see if you're embarrassed?

Norway 0.87%
Denmark 0.85%
Luxembourg 0.83%
Sweden 0.78%
Netherlands 0.73%
Portugal 0.63%
Belgium 0.41%
France 0.41%
Switzerland 0.41%
Ireland 0.39%
UK 0.36%
Finland 0.35%
Germany 0.28%
Canada 0.27%
Australia 0.25%
Spain 0.24%
Austria 0.23%
Greece 0.23%
New Zealand 0.23%
Japan 0.19%
USA 0.17%
Italy 0.15%

So, when it comes to foreign aid as percentage of a nations wealth, New Zealand donates 135% more than the US, Australia donates 147% more than the US. Canada donates 158% times more than the US whilst Britain donates 211% times more than the US.

Great huh?

Source

[edit on 4/1/07 by subz]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This post points out precisely the reason the US doesn't go down well with other countries, because you are so egotistical and arrogant, that we have no choice but to dislike you. I can't believe you went out of your way to find a reason why the US is better than any other country. Good for you, your country donates more to charities. At least we don't go around starting wars for no reasons. The difference between you and us is that we don't go around claiming we are the greatest, we just point out the flaws in the world. A lot of fingers are pointing towards the US right now. Why? ask your government, they are the ones ruining your rep.

To answer your question, I feel great! I love this country. Our government could donate more to charities, but its all wasted on supporting the war you started. If you counted our support in Iraq as a 'donation' I'm sure the figures would change greatly.

Did you get the bite you were after?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Actually those numbers really don't tell us much. There is far more to helping others than just how much money you can afford to give to charities. You also failed to list the many countries that do give more than the US...

Chart

Around the world for numerous years, many have criticized the US for cutting back on its promised obligations and responsibilities, and that furthermore, when it has provided aid, it has been tied to its own foreign policy objectives. Yet, many rich nations that provide aid can be criticized in a similar way.

Source

Charities are a joke. They don't solve the problems of poverty. It's a band aid. Bail out the basement while there's holes in the roof. A way for people to ease their guilt by not having to actually do anything.

Charity is not going to end the worlds problems.

Failed foreign aid and continued poverty: well-intentioned mistakes, calculated geopolitics, or a mix?
These, and so many other factors all interplay, making foreign aid less useful than it should have been. Certainly trillions have been spent with little to show for it.

[edit on 4/1/2007 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
As an American I agree with the last post. Why do people feel the need to point out that "they" are perhaps better than "others" when it is quite misleading and unnecessary? Yes, I donate to several charities, but that doesn't make me any better than someone who doesn't. It is just a matter of personal choice.

Poor sport making bad comparisons. The world needs more coming together, not tearing apart.

JbT

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Wellllll american.......

As a Canadian personaly I pay 14% of all my earnings to the Man for Social Programs and Health Care, ect.

I personally assume that my country who provides "Peace Keeping" is doing exatly what these poor countrys need. Instead of just throwing money at them, and having that money never reach the people.

I work 40 hours a week, and pay taxes. Some of those Taxes go toward funding our peace-keeping programs and the other money goes toward other programs for those in need here at home like Welfair, CPP, EI, ect.

Plus, Canada lets enough people into our country that to me, Id rather have them just move here and contribute in the same way that my grandparents did when they moved here from Italy post war.

I can tell you this, I sleep pretty well at night knowning that Canada has nothing to be embarassed about in terms of providing others with help. In fact, I tend to heard that we are world leaders of sorts in our peace-keeping efforts.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
As subz pointed out, we have publicly funded programs to take care of the people. Damn, we must be Communists, Sociallists at least.
That being said, we are TAXED to the hilt.

That being said, we are still there for the world with our peacekeeping, not warmongering. That's why we ARE in Afghanistan but NOT Iraq.
If you want I can show you the contribution of Canada to the world through peacekeeping, man power AND dollars, my sabre rattling friend.

jra

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Is there an award for the "most retarded thread ever"? Of course the US can give out the most money, the US also has nearly 300million people as well. The combined population of the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand is just over 100million. I'd say all our countries give a lot of money compared to the size of our populations.

So no, I don't feel embarrassed for my Countries donations. But I do feel embarrassed for you.

JbT

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toasty
This post points out precisely the reason the US doesn't go down well with other countries, because you are so egotistical and arrogant, that we have no choice but to dislike you. I can't believe you went out of your way to find a reason why the US is better than any other country. Good for you, your country donates more to charities. At least we don't go around starting wars for no reasons. The difference between you and us is that we don't go around claiming we are the greatest, we just point out the flaws in the world. A lot of fingers are pointing towards the US right now. Why? ask your government, they are the ones ruining your rep.

I agree totally.

You Americans have to relise that this kind of post is exectly why people around the world carry feelings of "hate" for your kind. For all you people are given and all the richest you have.... Your heads are sooooo far up your asses you all have brown chest hair now.

As far as Im concerned, this post highlights the exact reasons ALL americans need a serious attitude adjustment... Or ass kicking, one or the other would do you good for the future. Is Bush's stupidity leaking into all americans heads?

Im was going to write that Im shocked.... But all this coming from Americans, Im not shocked at all.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Can't wait to hear from you.

Really? You need to start believing that each man or woman is responsible for their own moral character & perception. Don't jump on a chart that synthesizes the results when you should be listing your own philanthropies as proof of your own character.

AAC

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This thread has had more relpy posts, faster, than any other thread I've authored.

First, No one should be embarrased about how much charity they give.
It was just a mechanism.

The purpose the thread was to take a little jab at all those who write posts that start out:

Arent you Americans extremely angry?
When will the US wake up?
When do think the US went tits up?

etc.

I've noticed that in reply to those anti-US threads. There is a fairly even smattering of Americans agreeing with the OP, and those replying aggressively. So far I've seen nothing from non-US citizens in this thread except..."See this is why we hate you" or variations on that theme.

Just what I thought. And yes, I got the bite I wanted.

Seems some of us can give better than they take.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JbT

You Americans have to relise that this kind of post is exectly why people around the world carry feelings of "hate" for your kind.

Chill with the YOU americans. I am not represented by ignorance unless it be my own.

AAC

JbT

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Just what I thought. And yes, I got the bite I wanted.

If you want to know what the world thinks about you in a simple term. I think I can sum it up with this:

"We are Tired of You"

Simple as that, IMO of course

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
Is there an award for the "most retarded thread ever"? Of course the US can give out the most money, the US also has nearly 300million people as well. The combined population of the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand is just over 100million. I'd say all our countries give a lot of money compared to the size of our populations.

JRA - Lets be careful throwing around terms like retarded. Let me explain something to you my intellectually challenged friend. Comparing statistics as a percentage of GDP evens the playing field for samples of varying sizes.

i.e. It takes into account that the US is bigger than Luxembourg and scores on a curve. It's like using "per capita"

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Nope, not embarrassed at all.

Canada could give more, but so could everyone. Except the Danes and the Norwegians, they are very generous countries when it comes to foreign aid.

Then again, I'm not one of the people this post was directed at. I don't participate in those threads.

I didn't give anything; so I'm not going to take it either.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Exactly, or you wouldn't have started this thread indicating your frustration at the statements made that hurt your precious ego. Sure we can take criticism, just when it factual. When its not, we will defend ourselves. The embarrassment has switch court it seems.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
my bicep is bigger then yours!!!

that's prety much how you guys are sounding..

why even bother with these sorts of things?

some times i wonder.....

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

This post points out precisely the reason the US doesn't go down well with other countries, because you are so egotistical and arrogant, that we have no choice but to dislike you.

Oh puhhhhhleasssse! This is coming from a group of people who post a thread like this here on ATS a couple times a week? Whats wrong? you dont like a taste of your own medicine?

As for the survey, did anyone consider maybe these countries have no money to give? Having such high taxation rates has probably driven the populace to near poverty level wages compared to here in the US.

We should really feel sorry for these countries. Afterall, they are such peaceful nations and only have to clean up the wars the USA starts.

Now who is arrogant?

[edit on 4-1-2007 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Exactly, or you wouldn't have started this thread indicating your frustration at the statements made that hurt your precious ego. Sure we can take criticism, just when it factual. When its not, we will defend ourselves. The embarrassment has switch court it seems.

On the contrary. my post cleary states that this thread is in response to all those that I, and many others have had to "take". Because I decide to "give" on one occaision, does not mean I'm embarrassed. Your reasoning escapes me.

Perhaps those who constantly attack the US are trying to work out some internal embarassment issues?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join