It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2007

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by apex

Spoke to relatives in South America who felt it. It freaked them out, since earthquakes aren't very common in the region. Personally this freaks me out too.... if that was shallower and caused a tsunami it would have been absolute devastation in the islands.

btw there was a 5.1 Aftershock in the martinque area today.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Two 5+ strikes around New Guinea, less then 70 miles from land:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Southern Peru -- 5.3:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm seriously not liking these Caribbean quakes.

Magnitude 5.4 - DOMINICA REGION, LEEWARD ISLANDS
2007 December 05 12:11:23 UTC

I really hope that 7.4 was the big event and not a sign of things to come.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Russia -- 5.0
Chile -- 5.1

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I hear you, Worldwatcher -- this seems like more then active quakes for this time of the year. And the South Americans ones could pre-cursor the 150-year overdue, southern Andreas fault sooner then...

[edit on 5-12-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I recall reading somewhere that a lot more Quakes happen as the Earth passes closest to the Sun in it's orbit - That point in Jan 3rd. I think I read this in relation to the boxing day tsunami but I may be wrong on this - it could even be at the furthest point in the orbit.

It does kinda make sense though - if a quake is about to happen some time, the straw that breaks the camels back could be the change in gravity that the planet is subjected to. Does any one else know what i'm on about??

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I've also heard the theory that sun spots and solar flares correlate with earthquake activity. We had a solar research thread in which we were trying to keep track of those events, and while I haven't lost the interest, I just don't have the time to keep up with it... but yes it does seem that there is a correlation between solar activity and geomagnetic activity that causes earthquakes.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
...northern mid-Atlantic ocean. 5.7

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

...judging from this SOHO image of the sun over the last 11 years -- it looks like the cycle is about to enter an increased activity period. Obviously, peaking in 2011/12.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
SAMAR, PHILIPPINES -- 6.0. On land.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

IZU ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION -- 5.1. 150 miles from land.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
...another one in Japan & Peru. Both in the mid 5.0 range.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This Friday morning at 6:07 am a 3.1 quake Columbus North Carolina. Just 20-30 miles est. southeast of Asheville.

Last year January Western NC 2006. 2.8.

(I never dealt with earthquakes before- mesa scared.)

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
7.8 S of Fiji...

USGS

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I don't get it Necrosis a quake that Big and they are Not even mentioning it on CNN or Drudge! It's been hours now since the quake.

www.iris.edu...

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm wondering as to why there were no aftershocks actually from it, it seems a bit big not to have any.
There was no tsunami warning, and it was very deep, so that probably explains the lack of media coverage.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is so unreal. We've never had an earthquake, at least not that anyone alive can remember, here in Malaysia:

Quake measuring 3.5 hits Bukit Tinggi

PETALING JAYA: A weak 3.5 magnitude earthquake occurred in Bukit Tinggi, Pahang, at 8.55pm last night.

According to the Meteorological Department, the incident triggered off slight tremors.

There was no cause for concern, it said in a statement.

Experts had said on Friday there was no reason to worry over the rare but minor earthquake that first occurred in Bukit Tinggi on Nov 30, as the tremors were weakening by the day.

The tremors, which first measured 3.9 on the Richter scale on Nov 30, had weakened to 3.0 on Wednesday and to 2.7 on Thursday.

Meteorological Services Department director-general Dr Yap Kok Seng had said there was a very old fault line near Bukit Tinggi that had been dormant for more than 1.6 million years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Does this happen often? I mean old fault lines reawakening?

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

NICARAGUA: 5.0.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Beachcoma -- did you feel that small one though? Seems like Earth is headed into 'severe' weather soon -- the solar cycle begins its 'heavy' period 2008-12.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

It's probably nothing, there was a swarm of small quakes in Manchester here in the UK in 2002 and in this year, scroll down a bit on this page.

I'm no expert on it though, so thats about all I can say with any degree of certainty.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

No, I didn't. It was too far away from where I live -- 100+ km -- but I called up some friends who live near the area and they did feel a slight tremor. They thought it was a landslide -- it happens quite often there whenever the rainy season begins. The meteorological service said it wasn't a landslide, though. According to the weather service, the fault was revived after the 2004 Acheh Tsunami. Makes sense, but it's still surreal. It's like the tornado that happened last year -- that hasn't happened around here for as long as anyone can remember, too. Also like the cyclone that hit last year -- these things don't happen in Malaysia, but it's happening anyway. Very strange.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join