It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Head Bezos Posts Video, Images of Private Spacecraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It looks like the founder of Amazon.com, Jeff Bezos has his mind on bigger and better ideas than the net these days, mainly manned space flight. In order to make this fantasy a reality Bezos has decided to pony up the money for his own space shuttle. It looks like the new Orion Capsule.

www.foxnews.com
HOUSTON — Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos is asking engineers to join his fledgling and secretive private aerospace business, breaking a long silence about his operation in a remote section of West Texas by posting photos and videos on the company's Web site of a test launch of a reusable spacecraft.

"We're working, patiently and step-by-step, to lower the cost of spaceflight so that many people can afford to go and so that we humans can better continue exploring the solar system," Bezos said on the Web page of his space venture, Blue Origin. "Accomplishing this mission will take a long time, and we're working on it methodically."

The posting, with Bezos' message dated Tuesday, shows a cone-shaped vehicle with four metal legs, reminiscent of the clunky models in 1950s science fiction movies, launching in a cloud of smoke, reaching an altitude of about 285 feet, according to Blue Origin, then landing on its legs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is great that the private sector is getting involved in the space race and is competing against NASA. I wish team Amazon the best of luck.

The companies mission statement seems to put it best "We're working, patiently and step-by-step, to lower the cost of spaceflight so that many people can afford to go and so that we humans can better continue exploring the solar system." That is a great mission statement for a space business. I know it is going to be more expensive than Greyhound Buses but you have to start somewhere.

public.blueorigin.com...

It will be fun to see how cost effective/successful Blue Origin will be compared to NASA's Orion project over the next 10 years or so.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Very nice find.

And I like Bezos' goal: "...so that many people can afford to go and so that we humans can better continue exploring the solar system."

More to my taste than space exploration for purposes of military dominance.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
He's in a race with Branson to commercially control space. Thats the REAL reason. There is alot of money to be made here....

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Woot! We sell cards to both of them. Go, guys, go!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
There's definatley a lot of money to be made in space. Right now it may just be launching satellites into space, tommorow it'll probably be space tourism, then we might see vehicles enter low orbit for transportation, someday it could be mining in space, the possibilities are endless. And it all has to start somewhere. Personally I think that NASA has been a great help to this, and I still support the existance of NASA for non-profit research, and to one day act as the FAA of space.

I'd say it's about time we saw the entrepenuring attitude that made the US economy so great. We've been a bit lazy as of the last two decades so I'm pretty glad to see it return. Given time this could give us the economic boost we need.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

I'd say it's about time we saw the entrepenuring attitude that made the US economy so great. We've been a bit lazy as of the last two decades so I'm pretty glad to see it return. Given time this could give us the economic boost we need.

Virgin and Branson are British Companies.....

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Good point, I completely missed that. Although since Branson's operation is in West Texas it's bound to mostly an American project.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
right on Amazon! I love that site, it's where I get all my books!

Anyways..

If a private company can significantly reduce space flight, especially reusible, and make it safer or at least just as safe... then dismantle NASA and create a new space science research branch of the government instead of NASA doing everything, and allow the private companies to explore our solar system. Holiday inn in space???

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Yeah, a DARPA-like agency would suffice, by why scrap NASA? She's an old dog, but I bet she is capable of learning a few new tricks before the old girl becomes redundant.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Congrats to Blue Origin!

I doff my hat to anyone seeking to open the promise of Space to "the rest of us".

I do wonder, however, just how Blue origin intends to reach even su-orbital altitudes with this type of craft. The design does not seem to allow for sufficient interior volume to contain an adequate supply of fuel to reach anywhere near the 62 mile verticle altitude of a sub-orbital flight. Add to that the huge amount of fuel the craft would require for a controlled verticle descent and soft landing....

I'm befuddled!

But, as I said, Any step in the right direction (Up!) is a step in the right direction.

GO BEEZOS!!

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
For the landing they'll probably only fire the engines when they are closer to the ground to bring about a soft landing. As for the design, we'll just have to wait and see how scalable it is. A tripod launch system is a nifty idea, though it may be before it's time. We shall see. Imagine a huge one of these as large as a city block designed just for the express purpose of sending large amounts of people into space on the cheap. It will all depend upon the fuel they are using of course.

To me the design seems like it could be very scalable.

[edit on 6-1-2007 by sardion2000]

top topics

join