It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can looks Kill?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It just an old saying. If you can't tell some one what you want to, or can't just walk away, you just stand there and look at them. And that often beacomes a cold look, or a glance with dark eyes. So the saying was born, if looks could kill. Im not saying I buy into this but hear is a published story that might give some merrit to this old saying.

Expert on anomalous phenomena and author of many books about miracles Igor Vinokurov tells a story he learnt from an acquaintance of his, a retired police colonel. The head of one of the key departments in a Moscow research institute suddenly died. The man was known for his trouble-making nature and lack of respect towards colleagues and subordinates. One day, the boss advanced some harsh and insulting remark in the address of a subordinate. The latter said nothing but his glance was so sinister that the boss suddenly dropped the head on the desk and began to rattle. When doctors arrived they had to verify death of the man but could not explain the reason why the healthy man died so suddenly.

A pathologist who performed the autopsy said that the heart of the dead man had been stopped by some force the way a human hand may stop a pendulum from swinging. Investigators of the sudden death supposed that the subordinate offended by the boss was probably the force that killed the man. Indeed, his sinister and gloomy glance gave police officers creeps.

sorce

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It sounds very strange but anything can be possible.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I have that look - that's when my kids "know" I mean business!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayacara
I have that look - that's when my kids "know" I mean business!

Yes I do think most adolescents will very much know that look. Its even worse when you start to see the vain throbbing in your for head

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As the eminent William S Burrough's said a Pre Causal Glance can be a glance invoking Thanatos, the God of Death.

I gather there's a certain magickian called Francis Breakspeare who has experimented with this, don't take this stuff seriously, everything has to get taken with a pinch of "Salt."

Also look at the Psi Experiment's that the US Army have done, especially with staring at Goat's til they tilt over, of course we have the very Fortean Phenomena of "The 100th Fainting Goat."

Of couse we have the Evil Eye, all it is, is staring at someone, some folk are more Paranoid than other's.

Starin is Gnosis in itself.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Don't know if it's the case within the US military, but I've read several times that in the UK military, servicemen can be punished for 'dumb insolence', i.e., a 'look'.

A family member was an officer in the UK Navy, and he used to roar at his own teenager: ' Remove that insolent expression ! ', the intimation being that if the teenager failed immediately to adjust his facial expression, there would be swift and painful repercussions.

The 'look' to which the parent objected was caused in the first place by the parent's disciplinary action or threat. Unable to verbally object, the teenager had responded with a certain facial expression, quite possibly one of hatred, sense of injustice or a wish the parent would shrivel and die (or maybe a combination of all these and more).

Demand for removal of the 'insolent look' may have been the UK Navy's means of denying a subordinate all and any challenge to authority; a method of achieving total control over subordinates.

On the other hand, it may have originally arisen within the armed-services in response to a situation as outlined by the OP, whereby a subordinate --- without uttering a word or striking a blow --- was able to retaliate in the face of injustice and unwarranted humiliation and kill or otherwise negatively affect another.

In court, the accused have been known to deliver 'looks' to witnesses and/or the jury and these have caused people to claim they 'felt sick', 'terrified' and 'faint'. Such 'looks' have been known to intimidate witnesses and jury and after court-cases, people have been known to say they will 'never forget' (were 'haunted' by) the expressions delivered by the accused.

When emotion is strong and all other means of defence/offence are denied someone, this can result in a highly-concentrated, almost laser-like stream of pure rage and hatred being aimed at the offender (justly or otherwise). It's to be suspected that this originates at least in part within the primitive sections of the brain (the same regions which may be responsible for violent and even super-natural activity). It seems possible that such 'looks' may be capable of reaching out and 'striking' the target.

Years ago, a neighbour deliberately hurt the feelings of my children, who'd done nothing more offensive than say 'hello' to him. This happened repeatedly. On each occasion, I was distressed and angered by the hurt caused my children.

One day, having just seen the neighbour again hurt my children's feelings, I said (without pausing to consider) silently to the neighbour: ' Die. Just die. If you're already so dead you can't respond to innocent babies, then die.' or words to that effect. The emotions of mother's really should never be underestimated.

Some weeks later, my children were again at the lower fence, where they'd often called out 'hello' to the offending neighbour. I went down to get them. When I reached the fence, an elderly female neighbour was speaking with the children and when she saw me, she greeted me in friendly fashion. She then told me that her husband (the one I'd cursed) had died shortly before.

She told me her husband, who'd been in good health, had died because a hair from his chest *had grown into his heart * -- and killed him ! His death had been totally unexpected. The hair was only discovered, according to his wife, during investigation into the cause of death. I've never heard of this happening before or since -- although maybe it's not totally unknown.

Whatever the case, I've always wondered if I played any role in the neighbour's death, or if it was mere coincidence.

Should add that at the time, my rage and sense of injustice towards the neighbour was immediate, pure and complete --- and bypassed my normal 'censors' and control.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is interesting to me because my mother is trying this technique on my little brother, he is so defiant that whenever he misbehaves, he does not listen to any punishment stated to him or even given to him, but my mother has an extreme case of evil eye
, and whenever she looks at him like that he instantly stops whatever he is doing and apologises

its kinda weird.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Im not sure if looks can kill. I do have an experence related to this topic.I was inside a pizza place and I looked outside and there was a girl and her boyfriend that were about to enter and I locked eyes with her she gave me this dirty look and I gave her one right back At the same time I was thinking to myself "I wish she wouldnt come in here" No sooner did I have that thought that she triped on the roots of a tree outside and broke her leg.It might have been that she was so busy looking at me she wasnt watching where she was going but then again I cant say that for sure.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrystalBlueGirl
I was inside a pizza place and I looked outside and there was a girl and her boyfriend that were about to enter and I locked eyes with her she gave me this dirty look and I gave her one right back At the same time I was thinking to myself "I wish she wouldnt come in here" No sooner did I have that thought that she triped on the roots of a tree outside and broke her leg.

Crystal
It is an interesting story. Thanks for shareing.
And I do hope the person in question got better with out to many problems.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Utlimately, it is the THOUGHT that kills (or heals - seals - etc)....

...the look perhaps gives it conscious delivery - but that isn't even required! It IS good drama-rama, though, when you are in the mood, that is.

Mind controls all things...and for the last 7,000 years mankind has not been controlling his mind...and so the chaos and misery. In my third eye view 'mind' is God (both aspects)......and that is the reason for divine power - the power of mind which is over all things - life and death.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Looks can kill, especially if your looking directly at the front of a fast moving double decker bus...

Sorry couldn't resist.
What are you asking, if someones stare can kill you or just metaphorically????

[edit on 5-1-2007 by chris01621]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
perhaps its only the one who's being given the 'evil eye' that is the one generating the negativity...getting all flustered & attributing all sorts of real or imagined maladies to the person that cast an 'evil eye' on them.

the Greek myths had Medusa, & men who gazed upon her face
(or maybe more properly it was men whom she gazed upon?)
were turned to stone! maybe thats the genesis of "looks could kill"
legends or even the 'evil eye'

Perseus slew her, because he used a mirror to avoid her gaze/or face

so there is a offhanded explaination ....If one deflects the stare, or else
does not allow the stare to directly affect them (as in belief) then the potency is made null or just a vaporous, imagined, non-real image of reality having no substance [other than in the visual cortex, in modern science thought)

[edit on 5-1-2007 by St Udio]
to ADD: en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 5-1-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
When I was brung up in Scotland it was said that Gypsies could give out the "evil eye" like Candy at a Travelling Show.

Odd stereotype that.

If you invoke Ghoul's, Zombie's or such like I'd imagine you could give a really good Gaze - mocking Death.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
During the couple of days since my last post in this thread, it's occurred to me that the poor old neighbour might have been deaf, which would explain why he didn't respond to the babies calling out 'hello' to him.

Whether or not I contributed to his weird death, I've apologised to him.

new topics

top topics

join