It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Metallic Object Hits NJ Home

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Maybe they'll get lucky and the rock will be composed primarily of Palladium, worth a fortune noe.

As for the Space Doo Doo, looks like someone allowed the tailings from a wet-grinder to just build up for awhile.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
There's nothing strange about a meteorite and the one from the story actually looks pretty typical. I don't see what all the fuss is about really, aside from it hitting a house.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Odd I live in New Jersey and I haven't heard of this.

I say its a meteorite. It looks like one.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I personally think whatever it is will be classified as a meteor, and that will be the end of it, regardless of what people think.

This is just the pattern i see now with everything, authorities just dismiss it and then we look crazy for thinking otherwise or asking follow up questions.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I agree it looks like a meteorite except it doesn't look charred from re-entry. It looks like it has higher metallic content than usual and the color of gold. Metal meteorites are usually iron and nickel.

I don't think it is a piece of space junk, because they usually hold their shape somewhat. This looks like it was molten metal. It will be easy enough to tell if it is a meteorite if a sample is cut and it has chrondules which can only form in space.

Maybe they will find alien fossils inside. Has anyone read Deception Point by Dan Brown?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Who knows, maybe this is a rock from the hollow earth theory and we're living inside a giant hollow earth and part of the ceiling fell off.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Full Story

The story linked above states that the "meteorite" weighs "about as much as a can of soup." The Campbell's Soup website states that an average can of soup weighs about 10 oz.

Campbell's Soup SOURCE

The meteorite is stated to be about the size of a golfball, which is about 1.68 inches in diameter.

Golf Ball Dimensions SOURCE

I took this data to Principal Metals Online, and used their metal calculator to try and determine what metal the meteorite could be comprised of. The calculator gives metal weights in terms of lbs., so I converted those weights back to ounces by using Google's inline conversion calculator.

Here are the results:

Good Match
Titanium - 9.8 oz.

Bad Match
Copper - 19.6
Gold - 42.2 oz.
Steel - 17.1
Tungsten - 42.1 oz.
Brass - 18.5 oz.
Zinc - 15.6 oz.
Stainless Steel - 17.2 oz.

From this data, we can see what it is certainly NOT comprised of, and one metal that is a good fit. I am sure there are other metals that could constitute the makeup of this meteorite as well, but I could not find another one on the Metal Calculator that yielded the required ~10 oz. weight per the given dimensions.

So are natural meteorites typically composed of Titanium? Or is this more indicitative of man-made space debris re-entering our atmosphere... are satellite and spacecraft parts comprised of titanium?

Or is it something else entirely?

Can anyone else find another metal that would weigh ~10 oz. per the given dimensions? I'm sure we will find out its makeup once the lab guys give their report - if it ever makes it back into the news.

~DMN~

EDIT: I have since realized that I may be incorrect about the average weight of a can of soup... a more accurate estimate may be closer to 26 oz. I will have to double check this, and post my findings later.

EDIT: I looked into the weight issue a bit further, and my original data still holds. The average weight of a can of Campbell's Condensed Soup is 10-11 oz. SOURCE - Pop-Top Lid FAQ

[edit on 4-1-2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
While i'm not an expert on what meteors look like I am sure neither are most ATS members, sure we all have a general idea but it is quite possible this is something else that is not originated from a space rock.

Instead it could be as mentioned, some form of debris from space missions.

The most "out there" thesis would be it originated from an extra-terrestial spacecraft of some sort but there is no evidence to support that thesis, there were no sightings of strange craft expoding or what not.

The verdict? likely space junk or a rock, but who knows, it might be much more interesting than that.

You have voted damajikninja for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Oh dear, didn't read those posts yet! good stuff there! titanium huh? that makes things more interesting.

[edit on 1/4/2007 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Could this possibly be droppings from the debris that fell over Colorado?

Anyhows being a Jersey resident anyone want to buy Titanium umbrellas LOL

Just a thought

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hey thanks for the kudos GZ!

Titanium is one likely candidate - however I have not yet researched the observable properties of this metal yet... such as what color it is, etc. I mean, does the stuff in that picture look like titanium? I really don't know.

Im also interested to see what other metals could fit the profile, since we have already knocked all the other major metals out of the race.

Does anyone know what metals NASA Space Junk would most likley be made of?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The doonm and gloomers were right! Chicken Littles of the world unite. Global Warming IS a cause of falling sky syndrome. Or not. I prefer meteor, but it does not look very charred....And about Deception Point by Brown, I read it, and it WOULD BE a great movie don't you think?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Looks like this is the likely suspect

CBS4/AP) DENVER The brilliant streak of light that raced across the sky west of Denver Thursday morning was a Russian rocket re-entering the atmosphere, NORAD and U.S. Northern Command reported.
NORAD spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Sean Kelly said the agency was trying to confirm a report that a piece of the rocket may have hit the ground near Riverton, Wyo., at about 6 a.m. MST. Kelly said military personnel had not yet reached the scene.

cbs4denver.com...

Also a thread on ATS about it
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
From the color shown in the pictures I've seen, Titanium is a valid possibility. Could be a piece of space debris.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Possibly space debris.

Norad says part of a Russian rocket had reentered the atmosphere here:

www.9news.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Possibly space debris.

Norad says part of a Russian rocket had reentered the atmosphere here:

www.9news.com...

That was interesting. Russian space litter... here in the US. Thanks a lot, Putin.

However - that article seems to indicate that the NORAD claim of space debris was over Wyoming, and through to the Midwest... didnt our "meteorite" from the original post hit in the northeast?

From the color shown in the pictures I've seen, Titanium is a valid possibility. Could be a piece of space debris.

I need to go find me a picture of titanium somewhere and do a comparison...

EDIT: Here, have a look... they sure don't look the same to me...

TITANIUM vs. METEORITE

TITANIUM

METEORITE

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'm thinking that the rocket may have gotten broken up before entering the atmosphere, and a piece ended up in NJ.

At least it seems plausible, no?

I'm actually trying to find a correlation between "space junk" and UFO sightings.

So perhaps I am reading too much into this.

But the timing is rather coincidental.

Originally posted by damajikninja
I need to go find me a picture of titanium somewhere and do a comparison...

and Titanium is similar in appearance to aluminum. Unless of course it had been painted.

[edit on 1/4/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

EDIT: Here, have a look... they sure don't look the same to me...

You are looking at unprocessed Titanium ore. I don't have time to find a picture of processed Titanium metal, but I have fabricated enough parts out of it to back up my previous statement.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I live in Freehold NJ where this "rock" hit and it's the talk of the town. They just reported on a local radio station that they had spoken with authorities who still have not been able to identify what the rock is or the type of metal they believe it to be. They also stated they have no idea if it was from a meteor or something else. They are still performing tests to see what it was and the radio station said they would report what it is as soon as they find out

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cw034
I live in Freehold NJ where this "rock" hit and it's the talk of the town. They just reported on a local radio station that they had spoken with authorities who still have not been able to identify what the rock is or the type of metal they believe it to be. They also stated they have no idea if it was from a meteor or something else. They are still performing tests to see what it was and the radio station said they would report what it is as soon as they find out

SWEET> Be sure to let us know what they say!

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
UPDATE: "Scientists say it was an iron meteorite."

Iron - 15.6 ounces ??

Good Match
Titanium - 9.8 oz.

Bad Match
Copper - 19.6
Gold - 42.2 oz.
Steel - 17.1
Tungsten - 42.1 oz.
Brass - 18.5 oz.