It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Robotics) Singing Android Shows Emotion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   

EveR2-Muse, the second South Korean humanoid robot, has its (her?) eyes on a career in music. At the Robot World 2006 conference in Seoul, she sang the Korean ballad "I Will Close My Eyes For You" during the opening ceremony.

EveR2-Muse is about five feet tall and weighs about 135 pounds. Her silicon-covered face has remarkable flexibility; 29 motors and dozens of joints provide 13 degrees of freedom for self-expression.

EveR2-Muse has important upgrades; boredom is now an available emotion, along with the usual joy, anger, sorrow and happiness.

SOURCE:
TechNovelgy.com
[/source]

A very cool robot.
I would have liked to have seen it singing.

Thoughts, Opinions?

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The emotions that are programmed.
Do they learn, or, are they hard-wired to give responses already programmed into the AI ?
If it IS possible for the AI to adjust it's programming in a "learming" manner, then yes, it's VERY cool !!

Lex

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
The emotions that are programmed.
Do they learn, or, are they hard-wired to give responses already programmed into the AI ?

A "learning" robot.

Ah yes! That would be the holy grail of AI! But I would imagine that such a robot would need a whole lot of resources, i.e. memory, processor speed, etc.

Now that would make it a truly amazing creation.

On the other hand I am quite certain that if such a robot were to be developed, it would soon be swept away by the Military for their own purposes.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Well, from what I understand, it's just programmed.

This is just meant to entertain people, and perhaps gain there
support fore further research.

I do admit though, a true learning robot on a scale that it could
learn emotional reponses, and fel them, would definately be a
great advancement.

Though I don't think the military would be interested in 'feeling'
robots.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Nothing about this is AI.

It portrays emotions, doesnt have them.

Still, the worlds best AI, unfortunately, has a brain the size of a room, and the IQ of a grasshopper... it has figured out that it likes the color blue, over red or yellow... and it likes circular objects, instead of pyramids, or cubes.

Not exactly self aware.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I agree: programmed emotions aren't anything terribly special--still a neat find, but any two bit (pun intended) computer nerd could code emotional responses.

Actually, depending on the depth one looks at, even learning is rather commonplace AI in video games. It isn't necessarily done well, but a lot of games have AI that can figure out your game play patterns and change their game plan accordingly.

Granted, that's a far cry from being able to learn even basic math without it being hard coded, but it's something.

Between this and the other Japanese robots that have hit the news recently (can't remember their names...) I have a feeling that it may not be terribly long before companies start replacing secretaries and door greeters with robots--it wouldn't be too hard to set one up to smile at you and say "Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart, have a nice day!"

new topics

top topics

join