It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

john titor time traveller

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I am new to this site (altho i have read many of the posts here for quite some time). My roommate has really been on this time travel kick for a few months and he keeps telling me about this character named John Titor. I have read the site dedicated to this person and I personally believe it to be b.s. What are your thoughts about this. If there is another thread about this, then I apologize.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
All I can say is that anything about Titor doesn't belong in a category involving "science" as it is a hoax. I believe there is another thread on this but who knows. People seem to be facinated with Titor. Even though many of his facts were wrong and his predictions way off, they keep believing in him. Personaly I wish they would limit all Titor talk to just one thread.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
All I can say is that anything about Titor doesn't belong in a category involving "science" as it is a hoax. I believe there is another thread on this but who knows. People seem to be facinated with Titor. Even though many of his facts were wrong and his predictions way off, they keep believing in him. Personaly I wish they would limit all Titor talk to just one thread.

Thanks. That is what I tell my roommate. I also believe the whole Titor "phenomena" is crap. I was just curious as to what you guys thought about this.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
There are tons of threads on John Titor here, just do a search.

Since virtually all of his "predictions" of the future have proven incorrect, I think it's very safe to say it was all a hoax.

[edit on 1/3/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
There are quite a few threads on Titor here at ATS, including one really big thread that is some sort of official ATS FAQ on him.

People were quite interested in him, until none of his predictions came true, including the ones where he named specific time frames. There was one where he said the USA would be in civil war by the end of 2005. After that date passed, interest in him dropped markedly, since even his most ardent supporters couldn't deny Titor was wrong.

There is a book called "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank that is a sci-fi work (I haven't read it yet) but it supposedly bears a strong resemblance to the Titor story of the future, and it was written decades ago.

The Titor story is rather interesting, and whoever is behind it obviously put a lot of thought and effort into trying to make the story consistent and believable. If he hadn't made any falsifiable predictions like the civil war one, he'd probably have believers forever.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a couple of highschool kids revealed they pulled this prank. so it's a hoax.. if you believe they did it.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Yeah...I remember that guy.

Wasn't Titor a member here?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
tinwiki.org...

Everything you need to know and a few links too.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
thanks guys. I knew it was a lie when he mentioned that civil war...but my roomate keeps believing it to be true. cést la vie, no? thanks tho.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I can't believe it just occurred to me, but something struck me tonight that I've never thought about in all these years of watching sci-fi flicks.

If you were to time travel, you would arrive at your destination with one of two problems:

A. You would be exactly the same 3D coordinates in space, at a different point on the 4th axis (time). That's a much bigger problem than it sounds like. The surface of the Earth is constantly changing it's position in space due both to rotation and orbit.

If you leave in the evening (while you're facing the "wake" of the Earth's orbit; that is to say, if you think of Earth as a car racing around the sun, you're on the back bumper) and you go back 1 year and 1 second, guess what... it's the same as standing still in space for 1 second- the Earth will move out from under you. You will arrive about 30 kilometers above the Earth's surface, and because of the Earth's rotation, and about half a kilometer West of where you left from, give or take whatever the distances consumed by decimal places in the length of our days, the Earth's wobble, etc etc.

If this is the case, John Titor would have been extremely limited in the dates he could return to.

B. You'd have to bend time and space, but presumably you're bending all dimensions, meaning that you would arrive at some hard to anticipate point in space which is presumably proportional to how far in time your are traveling. In this case Titor could go whenever he wanted, but he'd probably arrive in empty space and die immediately.

Am I the only one to ever ask this? I've read through some of the Q and As but I never heard that one addressed.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
No, you're not the only one to ask that :p It is a very good question, though. John Titor, or whoever he was, actually brought this up (I think when someone asked him) and he said something about how the time machine also needed some kind of homing beacon that would keep you anchored with any large body of mass (i.e. Earth) in the vicinity.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I can't believe it just occurred to me, but something struck me tonight that I've never thought about in all these years of watching sci-fi flicks.

If you were to time travel, you would arrive at your destination with one of two problems:

A. You would be exactly the same 3D coordinates in space, at a different point on the 4th axis (time). That's a much bigger problem than it sounds like. The surface of the Earth is constantly changing it's position in space due both to rotation and orbit.

If you leave in the evening (while you're facing the "wake" of the Earth's orbit; that is to say, if you think of Earth as a car racing around the sun, you're on the back bumper) and you go back 1 year and 1 second, guess what... it's the same as standing still in space for 1 second- the Earth will move out from under you. You will arrive about 30 kilometers above the Earth's surface, and because of the Earth's rotation, and about half a kilometer West of where you left from, give or take whatever the distances consumed by decimal places in the length of our days, the Earth's wobble, etc etc.

If this is the case, John Titor would have been extremely limited in the dates he could return to.

B. You'd have to bend time and space, but presumably you're bending all dimensions, meaning that you would arrive at some hard to anticipate point in space which is presumably proportional to how far in time your are traveling. In this case Titor could go whenever he wanted, but he'd probably arrive in empty space and die immediately.

Am I the only one to ever ask this? I've read through some of the Q and As but I never heard that one addressed.

That is a very interesting observation you make there. I had never thought of that. I don't believe in time travel anyway, but you bring up a very interesting perspective.

I'll remember that one

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

I believe the machine accounted for such shifts in the travelling of the Earth and relative orbit degradation and movement. This was supposedley not too much of an issue, I understand landing in the middle of a lake or mountain or perhaps you could "run" someone over was more of an issue. I may be wrong, but yes I believe it came up. If I find it I'll link it.

Doesn't mean it wasn't BS though.

[edit on 26/2/07 by Prote]

top topics

join