Ski Flying - Women Allowed To Fly Next Week

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Is ski flying too dangerous for women to do? Are they not good enough? I don't think they lack the skill to fly, but somebody obviously thought so. So the women have been banned from skiflying for some time. However, they have now been given clearance to fly in the World Cup Skiflying in Vikersund, Norway, 11-14. january 2007. The last time Anette Sagen jumped in Vikersund (2004) she flew 174.5 meters as a test jumper!

Anette Sagen

Sports boss will not allow this girl to fly

Nineteen year old Anette Sagen from Norway is presently the best in the world. She recently won the German-Austrian ski jump week, the most prestigious competition.

Like most other ski jumpers, she thinks the longer the better. And the longest ski jumps are made in ski-flying, like in Vikersund, where a skilled jumper can jump over 200 meters (~650 ft). There are no ski flying competitions for women yet, but Anette really wanted to just try, as a test jumper. No big deal, right?

Enter Torbjørn Yggeseth, a 69 year old man, and a Norwegian leader of FIS, the international skiing association. He thinks young girls should be protected against their own stupid ideas, for their own saftety. Since he's a big man in FIS, there is hardly a chance in hell for Anette or any other girl to be allowed to jump in Vikersund. Yggseth is currently one of the least popular men in Norway. Because who wouldn't want to allow Anette to fulfill her dream and fly?

Women Write History in Vikersund!

March 2004

On Saturday, March 6, the women participated as forejumpers.

Had they been competing in Saturday's field of 50 men, Anette would have tied for 26th in the first round, and would have jumped in the second round of 30; Lindsey would have just missed the cut. Put another way, they would have beaten about of the 50 men in the field, having only two previous jumps as their total experience on a hill this size. Remember, unlike the men, they had no opportunity to practice prior to Friday!

Anette Sagen

Other links:
Vikersund.no - World Cup Skiflying Vikersund 11-14. january 2007. (option for english)
Aftenposten: Norske hoppjenter får fly (in norwegian...)

Please fly to make a new record Anette, and show the old farts that they're wrong!

[edit on 2007/1/3 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Learning To Fly (but I ain't got wings)

Wednesday, Anette and Line will fly in Vikersund. If they do it well, they'll be trial jumpers during the World Cup competition (11-14 January). Line won a Norway Cup competition last Saturday with a supreme margine. Skiflying is different from skijumping, but I'm sure they'll fly well.

Plan on Jumping Far

Line Jahr and Anette Sagen both plan on jumping far during Wednesday’s trial jumping at the skiflying hill.

The ladies have as their goal to jump farther than they did during the COC competition in 2004.

[---]

The two ladies are among the 34 trial jumpers who will be testing the hill on Wednesday. Fifteen of these will get the chance to be trial jumpers during the weekend’s World Cup competition.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope they'll be among the 15

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
i am all for this, but it is a known fact that women are weaker than men (generally speaking)...

this is why there are different tests (depending on one's sex / age) for joining the nypd (just one example)...

i hope this post doesn't cause hate, but i am just pointing out the obvious...

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure what caused this guy to jump like this in Vikersund. I know I would have been embarassed if it was me. In the video: A short intro in finnish (subtitled in english), and then it's the jump. The video is only 39 seconds long.

YouTube Link

Note: The embedded video below is only visible if you're visiting this thread while logged in as a member

[edit on 2007/1/8 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The embedded video isn't embedded anymore. That feature was disabled and replaced with a new. Here's the video again:

Some guy jumping in Vikersund:

Anette Won Today

Anette Sagen won the Continental cup in Italy today. She was hospitalized because she was sick from some Brasilian salmonella. She went from the hospital to win the cup with 9 points before number two.

Nettavisen: Suveren Sagen (in Norwegian...)

Photo: Morten Holm/SCANPIX

Top 5 results (in Norwegian...) :

1) Anette Sagen, Norge 250,0 (71,5-75),

2) Maja Vtic, Slovenia 240,9 (69-73,5),

3) Jaqueline Seifriedsberger, Østerrike 236,4 (69,5-70,5),

4) Melanie Faisst, Tyskland 234,5 (68,5-70,5),

5) Line Jahr, Norge 233,8 (69,5-69)

Aftenposten: Sagen rett til topps (in Norwegian...)

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Women were not allowed to jump in the Olympics in Vancouver. They were fighting in court, but lost.
I guess they might be afraid of them jumping better than the men or something...

Deborah Folka: Who knew women couldn't ski jump in the Winter Olympics?

Who knew women were not allowed to ski jump in the Olympics? Certainly not me when two years ago I was asked to coordinate the communications around a lawsuit launched in Vancouver to demand this gender imbalance be rectified.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
For all the years I have watched the Winter Olympics, I only saw men ski jumping, and it never even occurred to me that women did it, too. I saw this thread today and learned something new.

Wrong, wrong, wrong to not have women jumpers in the Olympics!!! I really can see how certain groups of people, who don't see anyone of their kind doing something, would never have the idea that it could be possible for them to do it, too.

I remember decades ago seeing on tv ski jumpers for the first time. Growing up in Southern California, I could only go out at the time into a warm, sunny winter day, tie a couple of oneXfours on my feet, and pretend to ski jump. (My younger sister and I pretended a lot of stuff!)

The joy of schussing down the plywood held up by a sawhorse was enough for me, but how sad for another female who fell in love with the sport, made it her passion, but finds she cannot compete at the Olympic level of competition...for no good reason!!

Let this be the last Olympics this happens! 2014 I want to see women flying!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The first jump in the new Holmenkollen Ski Jump will take place on Wednesday. 20 minutes ago, it was announced that the person who gets the honor to be the first to jump will be Anette Sagen. Congrats!

Anette Sagen får hoppe først i nye Holmenkollen (in Norwegian)

Anette Sagen will jump first in the new Holmenkollen (Google translated)

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Women's Front in Norway are hopping mad over coup

Anette Sagen was the first official jumper in the new Holmenkollen, but she wasn't the first unofficial. Romøren, who currently has the record for the longest standing skijump in the world (239 m), and some other guys wanted to make sure that it was "safe" for Anette to jump, so they jumped the evening before Anette. Many Norwegians are now hopping mad over this "coup", while others are defending it and said it was fair to let Romøren jump first, even though Anette was voted to be the first jumper. She got more than twice as many votes as Romøren. They are now discussing whether Romøren should be excluded from jumping up to five competitions as a penalty for performing this stunt. Romøren has spoken to Anette afterwards and said that he was sorry.

Ladies-Skijumping.com: Anette Sagen opened new Holmenkollen

Ski jumping is the only sport where women are not allowed in the Olympic Games

BarentsObserver: Barents ski jumper opened the new Holmenkollen ski jump

Romøren førstemann utfor i nye Holmenkollen (in Norwegian)

new topics
top topics

join