It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circular feature in Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
lat=19.5708005702, lon=-99.002908358

Can someone please tell me what this is?
I'm certain it is nothing odd - it just looks very strange. I've never seen anything quite like it before.

Any suggestions?

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Could you elaborate on what exactly your talking about or provide a link?

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by neil wilkes
lat=19.5708005702, lon=-99.002908358

Can someone please tell me what this is?
I'm certain it is nothing odd - it just looks very strange. I've never seen anything quite like it before.

Any suggestions?

Looked it up in Google Earth, and it's pretty much in the middle of mexico city. It's a spiral, some 3km in diameter. Couldn't find much on Google or Wikipedia about it, but then again, I didn't spend much time on it. One of the notes in Google Earth says it's a drying system to make NAOH or Caustic Soda. Nasty stuff that can be used for making bombs. I know this because I tried many years ago. When you mix it with hot water it turns into a nasty acid. Burned my desk as if I had poored gasoline on it and set fire to it. That turned me off the stuff

img396.imageshack.us...

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Here's what I got from Wikipedia:

The modern Texcoco lake has a high concentration of salts, and its waters are evaporated for their processing. A Mexican company, "Sosa Texcoco S.A" has a 800-hectare solar evaporator known as "El caracol".

The second link there--El caracol" is to a google maps page that's actually pretty similar to what DrLeary linked to.

A google search for Sosa Texcoco S.A didn't give me too much, other than a news listing about their workers having gone on strike and the company being bankrupt. Nothing spectacular though, although there might be some good corporate/ecological scandal story going on if one's willing to dig further than I am at the moment.

(Here's that particular site; just a quick snippet down the page. If you're interested in looking further, just google the company name above. Make sure you have Acrobat and a good Spanish->English translator though if you want anything to make sense...)

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I've seen train cars with Sosa Texcoco on them....

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
probably a mine or quarrey of some type.

new topics

top topics

join