It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having more than one account?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
While i was searching old threads to deny my ignorance in association with past events, it happened to meet posts of a member claiming he had other three accounts and to be brief, telling trivia things non-correlated with the speaking topic. As it was subsiquent, this member banned.

I don't know if there is any similar thread with these, but what about all these members who wish to have more than one account?
Can they be spotted by any software tools?

From my point of view, i wouldn't like the idea one member to have other accounts trying to support his view simply by using all of his accounts. Not to mention the option to vote one main account for the way above aword. This is unfair for all the others who ''do not cheat''.

Tell me your views

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Its against the Terms and Conditions to have more than one account, and they will be found out and banned.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Admin have one or more accounts for a reason, no one else is allowed them.

I do recall that member saying about multi accounts, but sometimes its only gossip

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Our household has three accounts.

I have FlyersFan.
My husband has Bad Dog.
My daughter has Cookie Doodle.

My husband rarely posts. My daughter is just starting. You can tell by the writing that we are three different people. I imagine that if someone tried to sneek in with multiple accounts that their writing style would be clearly seen after a while.

(my bad spelling would give me away!!
)

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hi there,

Well, to sum it up real quick, it's a big no-no.

To quote directly from our Terms and Conditions of use which appear
here:

2c.) Multiple Accounts: You will not create multiple user accounts and "talk to yourself".

This is a problem on many message boards. People create multiple names and respond to their own threads in order to get traffic moving. It's kinda similar to companies posting their own glowing reviews on amazon... in other words: unethical.

It can also be used for bullying other members around, disrupting conversations and a variety of other things that are not conducive to a community. When considering all of that, it only makes sense to completely outlaw the activity.

Now... is it a "bannable offense"? Sometimes. Often times people don't really realize that what they did was wrong. In such a case I would u2u the person and explain that this is unacceptable and they must pick one identity only and stick with it. Of course, if someone is already engaging in disruptive activity that's a whole other story.

On a personal (non-staff) note, I think it's moronic. I've been a member of ATS for 4 years with the same username. Why? Because when I say something I want people to know it's me. I'm proud of my opinions and of the reputation I've built here. Making other names would make that impossible. A waste of time if you ask me...

EDIT to add: After reading FF's post I just wanted to clarify that such behavior is not what we're talking about. Having a household of ATS'ers is cool by me!

[edit on 1/3/2007 by Djarums]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
From the ATS Terms & Conditions

2c.) Multiple Accounts: You will not create multiple user accounts and "talk to yourself".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/1/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I was under the same impression that you could only have one account.

But in the chat room, etc. it seems that people openly talk about their "other account"

Terms and conditions, at first glance seems to ban the use of multiple accounts...however its in the wording.

It does NOT say you cannot have a multiple account AND not talk to yourself.
It says you must not make multiple accounts TO talk to yourself.
(meaning, do not create an account to talk with yourself...)

Now why someone wants more than one account, with the exception of people like FlyersFan whose family has there own account, I dont know.

Its like the role playing game where people start new characters when they could just use one. (in the case of games like runescape where the characters look the same, whats the point, though I do like the game.)

But anyway, that may help.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 3-1-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
From the ATS Terms & Conditions

www.abovetopsecret.com...

meaing dont make them to talk to yourself.
Otherwise, it would simply be...No multiple accounts...period...no reason...

You can have them, just dont talk to yourself. O.k. dAlen, ah, I mean...

Peace

dAlen

edite: this text was bolded on my screen, dont konw why...(maybe it will 'fix' itself)
It appears it picked up the style of the poster I quoted...though I cant change it back. Oh well.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

(my bad spelling would give me away!! )

A friend of mine has recently joined ATS. The problem is that he speaks no English. If i translate for him, in the future, his texts will this give in my writing style? I am not keen on english too so i will easily be spotted by using the same words...

Of course, this has nothing to do with the Violation of the law. i am afraid if this creates any misunderstandings...?

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
But in the chat room, etc. it seems that people openly talk about their "other account"

I'm in chat alot and I haven't heard anyone say anything about double accounts. Most of the folks there are easily recognizable on the boards and rather proud of what they post .. not needing 'validation' from themselves under a guise of a fake account.

You've seen people say this? Really? wow. huh .......

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
who would want more then one account anyway?

on a side not damn FlyersFan i thought you were a dude all this time

no offence

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by dAlen

I'm in chat alot and I haven't heard anyone say anything about double accounts.

I've never heard this either. Well, I hope that people realize that there are chat logs, and that they will probably be gone through now. Interesting though, it seems that most of the people on there are always the same people.

link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
You've seen people say this? Really? wow. huh .......

I have ran into 3 groups of people it seems, since I first start visiting.
ONe of the groups I saw once. Keep in mind Im in Europe, so I look at various time of the day. It was awhile back, well not too long ago...but one person, to clarify, casually mentioned they had another nick...cant remember the name for anything. Anyway.

Peace

dAlen

link   

It does NOT say you cannot have a multiple account AND not talk to yourself.

The thing is that this pal shares sometimes the same views, other times not. So would it be like talking to myself?

I am asking that, becouse we are at the same class and it also happens to speak about ATS's things and reach a common direction

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
I've never heard this either. Well, I hope that people realize that there are chat logs, and that they will probably be gone through now. Interesting though, it seems that most of the people on there are always the same people.

Thats what got me looking at terms and conditions, as I was sure it was against it.
Until it looks like it meant only not to create one to talk to yourself.

In a strange way...this is like having anonymous threads on ATS without the new feature.
It could also be it was the persons wife or kids, or brothers account...I have seen one person, awhile back, that is well known here...post on this board, that they were using their relatives name to post....so it happens.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I've got only one account and a good majority of the time I feel like I'm talking to myself anyway.

I have seen people register for a new account to get a new user ID, which I think is ok as long as you abandon the old one. Since there's no way to "change" your user ID, you have to create a new account and start over if that's the goal.

Or not.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Usually those compelled to have more than one account are also the least likely to be able to "disguise" it.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I have seen people register for a new account to get a new user ID, which I think is ok as long as you abandon the old one. Since there's no way to "change" your user ID, you have to create a new account and start over if that's the goal.

Absolutely correct. There's nothing wrong with that. (That is of course provided that the original account wasn't banned lol)

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm not ashamed to admit it, and I've never violated the T&C with this account.

I've always made it very obvious that this is my sock puppet identity on ATS, and I think any member that knows my posts would recognize it as such.
I use this account to watch threads sometimes when I feel threatened by aggressive members that disagree with something I've said, or when I just don't want my main identity to appear as being on-line.

I've never used it to give myself a WATS vote or support any thread I've been active in, but I do find it to be a valuable tool.
And if I really want to talk to myself I'm sure one of the voices in my head would suffice in a pinch.

I don't see any reason for Admin. to delete this account because I use it in a way that is a benefit to myself and ATS, but I would give it up if it was requested.

Confession is good for the soul

I am
anxietydisorder.....

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Err. I have two accounts too.. mainly because I grew tired of the old name, which I used for around a year back in 04/03 (I think?). I even won a WATS and was a mod for a while too.

I asked a senior mod at the time if it was possible to rename my account, and was advised to simply stop using it and create another...

... so I did! I haven't used the old account since, or even referred to it before now, and have no intention of ever using it again.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by nowthenlookhere]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join