It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Peacekeepers Raping Children - Again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
UN 'Peacekeepers' Raping Children Again

The Daily Telegraph of London reported that U.N. peacekeepers and civilian staff were raping and abusing in southern Sudan. Some of these children are as young as 12. Accounts have been reported from more than 20 victims in the town of Juba of U.N. civilian and peacekeeping staff forcing them to have sex.

The first signs of this emerged within months of the peacekeepers' arrival in March 2005. The U.N. Children's Fund UNICEF drafted an internal report detailing the problem. The UN has yet to publicly acknowledge there was a problem or even investigate. The UN is pressing Sudan to allow for thousands more ‘peacekeepers’ to be allowed into the country.

The U.N. Peacekeeping Department in New York declined to comment. No surprise there!

Geeeze .. and Koffi Annan wants a million dollar bonus when he retires? For what?

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
UN 'Peacekeepers' Raping Children Again

The Daily Telegraph of London reported that U.N. peacekeepers and civilian staff were raping and abusing in southern Sudan. Some of these children are as young as 12. Accounts have been reported from more than 20 victims in the town of Juba of U.N. civilian and peacekeeping staff forcing them to have sex.

The first signs of this emerged within months of the peacekeepers' arrival in March 2005. The U.N. Children's Fund UNICEF drafted an internal report detailing the problem. The UN has yet to publicly acknowledge there was a problem or even investigate. The UN is pressing Sudan to allow for thousands more ‘peacekeepers’ to be allowed into the country.

The U.N. Peacekeeping Department in New York declined to comment. No surprise there!

Geeeze .. and Koffi Annan wants a million dollar bonus when he retires? For what?

The Peacekeepers are not technically employed directly by the UN. They are the military of quite a few countries. The majority belonging to developing countries.
I think individuals should be made accountable, whether that is individual regiments or countries.
There are bad apples in every barrel..Take for instance in the cases of rape and torture in Iraq. Would it have been fair to hold every serviceman accountable or the commander-in-chief?
I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think the title of your thread should be modified, FF. It should read "UN Peacekeepers Raping Children - STILL!"

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Well what do you expect when you draft squaddies from over 70 countries, ofcourse there will be bad guys in teh bunch. And when your stuck out in africa with no way to...ahem...."relieve" yourself from time to time it will drive people nuts. Although for those of you calling for the old pitch fork and fire for the UN I want to ask you, how many times has a US or a UK soldier been accused of raping someone while in a foriegn country?

But ofcourse who stops to asks questions these days when you can just point the finger and light up your torch?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Although for those of you calling for the old pitch fork and fire for the UN I want to ask you, how many times has a US or a UK soldier been accused of raping someone while in a foriegn country?

What's that supposed to mean? "Oh, there have been cases of US soldiers raping, so we'll just overlook this". Is that what we should think?

You don't excuse bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior. Most of us learned that when we were children.

And how can you defend these atrocities, esp. on such a grand scale?

But ofcourse who stops to asks questions these days when you can just point the finger and light up your torch?

Not the questions you are asking, they don't. Why don't you ask for the reasons this mass raping has been allowed to go on for so long, with nothing being done about it? Instead, you just turn it into another tired old USA bashing thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The really scary thing...

I suspect these guys are turning to children, particularly virgin children, in hopes they can avoid contracting AIDS.

According to the source article:

...the United Nations began seriously pursuing offenders in the past two years after reports of widespread abuse in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where it has 17,000 troops.

Since January 2004, the United Nations has investigated abuse allegations against 319 military and civilian personnel in all its missions, the world body said in late November.

It has disciplined 179 soldiers, civilians and police since then but acknowledges minors and the poor are still exploited.

How can this atrocity be handled better? Can it be prevented completely? How?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Rape has always been a big problem in countrys like Sudan, they have a lot of crime problems in general, however now it has been adressed (even though it appears the UN has not yet publically acknowledged it yet) it must be dealt with harshly- the worst form of rape is the rape of a child IMHO.
As another has mentioned though the "Peacekeepers are not technically employed directly by the UN. They are the military of quite a few countries" so it will be interesting to see who is eventually held accountable for these terrible crimes and to find out the scale it has happened on.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Well what do you expect when you draft squaddies from over 70 countries, ofcourse there will be bad guys in teh bunch. And when your stuck out in africa with no way to...ahem...."relieve" yourself from time to time it will drive people nuts. Although for those of you calling for the old pitch fork and fire for the UN I want to ask you, how many times has a US or a UK soldier been accused of raping someone while in a foriegn country?

Man defending man..My answer--- have control, what happened to masturbation?? Keep your knob to yourself!!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
The really scary thing...

I suspect these guys are turning to children, particularly virgin children, in hopes they can avoid contracting AIDS.

According to the source article:

...the United Nations began seriously pursuing offenders in the past two years after reports of widespread abuse in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where it has 17,000 troops.

Since January 2004, the United Nations has investigated abuse allegations against 319 military and civilian personnel in all its missions, the world body said in late November.

It has disciplined 179 soldiers, civilians and police since then but acknowledges minors and the poor are still exploited.

How can this atrocity be handled better? Can it be prevented completely? How?

Not very scientific Sofi but bromide..I thought the military was meant to be these great machines of control..They can learn to control a couple of inches of their body..If not, they need a helping hand.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Typical FlyersFan "Anti-UN" tripe.

What FF seems to ignore, when convenient, is that UN forces are made up, primarily, of developing countries forces. Bangladesh is one of the lead providers of troops, in fact. They are not the same professional calibre as some of our Armed Forces. Mostly, they are illiterate, poorly trained conscripts.

This isn't a UN problem, in that, it isn't the UN causing it.

It is to do with the troops and the countries of origin. These are horrible crimes, granted, but nothing that has stemmed from the UN.

Take those very same soldiers and have them under the AU flag, or even NATO's flag for heavens sake, and they will do the exact same thing, because it is THEM doing it, not the UN.

Remember, the UN doesn't have it's own men. Countries (apart from the USA) contribute their own forces. This is something you seem to ignore. You appear to imagine the UN as some entity, with it's own forces and agenda, which is simply utter bollocks.

If what FF alludes to is true, in that the UN itself does these crimes, then why does this not happen when UK or Canadian forces go under the UN?

Does the UN only ask it's African soldiers to rape children?

Does anyone remember the horrible stories coming out of Africa with regards to the "cure for AIDS" being having sex with a baby?

That is the mentality of some of these men from darkest Africa, not the UN.

On the flip side, UK, US and other forces have been accused of crimes equal or worse, wether under the UN flag or not.

Another thing FF and friends forget about the UN is that it isn't an autonomous entity. All the beligerent comments about the UN flowing from them should be directed at the member countries and the SC in particular. That is where the "uselessness" of the UN comes in.

But wait, they can't do that can they? That means criticising the USA!!!

Oh, Murphs...

Not very scientific Sofi but bromide..I thought the military was meant to be these great machines of control..They can learn to control a couple of inches of their body..If not, they need a helping hand.

Couple of inches? You need to get out more!

And I've heard stories about those African chaps.... Make your eyes water!!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Another thought springs to mind..

I didn't think Sudan had any Peacekeepers. I thought they were under the control of the AU, or is that just Darfur?

EDIT: Ahh, AU in Darfur and UN in Sudan... I see...

[edit on 4/1/07 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

As for this, they did make a comment, actually.

UN Assistant Secretary General for Peacekeeping Jane Holl Lute said the allegations would be investigated.

"I do not believe these are new allegations," she told the Associated Press news agency. "Nevertheless, we will treat them as seriously as we treat all other allegations."

"We need to ascertain the facts and follow it through to appropriate resolution and take action if necessary," she said.

There have been allegations of sexual abuse by UN peacekeepers in places such as DR Congo, Haiti and Liberia.

Last month, former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan said there would be "zero tolerance" of sexual exploitation by peacekeepers.

The UN says it has investigated abuse allegations against 316 of its personnel since January 2004, 179 of whom have been disciplined.

Source - BBC

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Another thought springs to mind..

I didn't think Sudan had any Peacekeepers. I thought they were under the control of the AU, or is that just Darfur?

EDIT: Ahh, AU in Darfur and UN in Sudan... I see...

[edit on 4/1/07 by stumason]

I think both are Stu...In Darfur and Sudan..

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Oh, Murphs...

Couple of inches? You need to get out more!

And I've heard stories about those African chaps.... Make your eyes water!!

LOL..I think men get issued with a special ruler, that is skewed by a couple of inches..
I have heard those stories about African men too..My big hairy Highlander will do me just fine..

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I have just had a morbid thought----If those African men would make my eyes water..What would they not do to a child!!!!
Doesn't bare thinking about!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   

What FF seems to ignore, when convenient, is that UN forces are made up, primarily, of developing countries forces. Bangladesh is one of the lead providers of troops, in fact. They are not the same professional calibre as some of our Armed Forces. Mostly, they are illiterate, poorly trained conscripts.

Oh I get it! Its the fault of poor minority animals from 3rd world countries!
They cant help but rape. They lack the sophisticated breeding of white folk.

Why not hold the employer responsable? Until they take a zero tolerance position theyre just enabling it. Like during WWI and WWII if anyone gets caught raping, robing or stealing they should just be hanged.

Same goes for our (U.S.) troop. Think of how different all this Abu Ghrab crap would have turned out if we simply grabed the offending parties and hung them right there in the prison.

These troops regardless of how poor they are or how black their skin may be still represent the greater nation and should be considered as ambassadors. Unless the nation wants to be represented as mindless thugs who rape and steal they should be dealt with absolutely and terminally to be examples for the rest of the troops and the rest of the nations to follw.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Typical FlyersFan "Anti-UN" tripe.

Yep,

I was about to do the ol '' you anit un b@astard ''

Your anti '' Kofi ''

anti '' peace ''

traitor and all that bs that ppl scream when you bring other nations dispicible actions to light

A few us soilders rape, and we get yelled at when we say the US ARMY is raping childeren.

a few UN soilders RAPE, the entire UN is at fault.

with all that aside, this is haneous, and as said in my other post.

these men should be tried and convited and given the death penatly.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
A few us soilders rape, and we get yelled at when we say the US ARMY is raping childeren.

a few UN soilders RAPE, the entire UN is at fault.

Yes, and a few American soldiers in Iraq rape, and immediately Bush and Rumsfeld are blamed.

Doesn't taste as good coming up, does it?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I for one never blamed bush and rumsfield for soilders raping in Iraq,
I blame bush for putting them their, but i blame the soliders for their own acts.

and I cant remmeber ever seeing anyone doing the same anyways,

But I do remmeber saying how haneous US soliders ACT, and being BLASTED for it by various members

much the same way the OP labeled the UN as rapists, instead of a select few.

amazing how the standards change hey ?

[edit on 4-1-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Oh I get it! Its the fault of poor minority animals from 3rd world countries!
They cant help but rape. They lack the sophisticated breeding of white folk.

Why not hold the employer responsable? Until they take a zero tolerance position theyre just enabling it. Like during WWI and WWII if anyone gets caught raping, robing or stealing they should just be hanged.

Same goes for our (U.S.) troop. Think of how different all this Abu Ghrab crap would have turned out if we simply grabed the offending parties and hung them right there in the prison.

These troops regardless of how poor they are or how black their skin may be still represent the greater nation and should be considered as ambassadors. Unless the nation wants to be represented as mindless thugs who rape and steal they should be dealt with absolutely and terminally to be examples for the rest of the troops and the rest of the nations to follw.

No, don't hold the employer responsible...That is what is wrong with the western world..No-one takes any personal responsibility or accountability.
anymore.
It was my upbringing, it was my teacher, if my employer hadn't off done XYZ, I wouldn't have done AB or C..
Everyone take some personal responsibility for once and stop blaming others!
These women and children have to live with this sexual, psychological and physical violation for the rest of their lives..! They have to deal with it, let the rapists!
There is alot of fear in and off the military particularly in regions like Sudan but within the world in general..People seem unable to open their mouths..It is time they did and identify the offenders..
Collegues are going to have to tout on collegues..It could be sons wife, mother, sister or daughter..

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join