It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists - 'a wonderful future without religion'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Not sure if this is skunk works or current events or science or religion ....

End of Religion

Scientists and psychologists foresee a 'wonderful' future - a future without religion. According to them, this future of ours is long overdue. Without religion, they say, there will come an end to wars.

I do not see a world without religion. In fact, I foresee radical Islam as just beginning to grow and that THEY will be the 'superpower' of the future.

That's my prediction.

End of Religion

edited to fix link

[edit on 1/3/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I don't know wouldent science just replace religion as the religion? People need there dogma in their lives or strainge things start to occour.

Course it would lead to the part of John Lennon's song comming true.

Imagine theres no countries, It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,

Imagine all the people sharing all the world...

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Won't ever happen.

Humans are territorial. Just like animals. If there are to be no religions or even countries, I am sure there would be something else to fight for.

If there are no countries, then there would need to be worldwide laws that everyone must abide by. Sounds good huh? But who would make these laws? Who has the authority to do so? In a one-world country there would need to be one person who ruled the world. A king maybe? Maybe if we all were ruled under a king with the same rules for everyone, same currency for the entire world etc etc, then there would be world peace!

But then of course, you'd have other people fighting to be "king", and you'd have 4-5 different colonies fighting for the king who they believe should be in power - Which will of course, create a war.

There will never be world peace.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I may get a backlash of comments for posting but...

My personal view is that Religion was only ever created as a means of control.

Which ever religion you follow, it is simply a list of commands to do or not to do.

In the case of a holy book such as the bible or the Koran, the text has been changed over time as it has been translated by people who either wish to spin it in a desired direction or... Translated by people who have no concept of what the original text meant.

In my mind people that believe totally in religion are extremely short sighted, and in most cases totally void of reasoning skills.

In history when humanity's knowledge was very small it was easy to convince people in gods. There was always some event on the earth happening that was so huge that it could not have been propagated by man. How else would a primitive mind relate to events such as an earth quake or a tsunami or volcano or asteroid strike etc etc etc...

But we are much more knowledgeable now, we have reached a point where a very large % of people can see and believe in human potential.

This is why I believe that ISLAM is now launching it's jihad on the world, because it is the last fight for religions existence.

Of course Islam will loose this fight as will all religions, it's high time we grow up and start to take responsibility instead of resting in the arms of religions.

Some people have said that science itself is a religion, something I don’t agree with, though if Science were to be considered a religion (Science itself after all is the pursuit of the truth, even the ultimate truth), then it should be the religion of humanity and not the religion of a(n) omnipotent god(s).

This is my view, agree or disagree is entirely your right, how many religions could say the same??

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This post may seems like an anomoly of sorts, as its written by some one who actually has died, met God, and has a total and utter unshakable faith.

I actually believe that the world would be better off withotu religion, i really do.

Religion is not a belief in God, religion is a control tool. I went before the board of ordination for the Anglican church here in the UK, and they asked a few questions about my beliefs, the rest were political questions... green issues, immigration, war in Iraq ect ect... and al I can say is that it left a very bad tatste in my mouth.

They were there for control. They are the gate keepers that actually keep the believers OUT of the Church, as it threatens their established order of things.

If religion is to be banned, it should be banned as a state wide organisation - If people want to believe then thats fine and i truely applaude it, but to force the issue and fight wars over it, and have the likes of Bush and Blaire use 'God' to justify an illegal war, then ban it, stop it, what ever, so we can be free from their powerful manipulations.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   

How I love irony!

'Scientists' agree. No religion means no war. Many non-religious people agree. No problems, right?

So how is this? No country borders means no war. What's that? No-one agrees? OMG! NWO!

Both religion and land disputes are the major cause for war. Eliminating one in the hopes of ending war, but not the other is strictly not viable.

People's fascination for religion and superstition will disappear within a few decades as television and the internet make it easier to get information, and scientists get closer to discovering a final theory of everything, leading thinkers argue today.

First of all, we are no closer to finding the theory of everything as we were many years ago. The people working on it are all basically working with the same figures. Who is to say that they are even on the right track? Besides, some religions are supportive of the unity of classics and quanum. Others will just change to embrace it.
In any-case, Religion is not something that can be wiped out. Most humans desire spiritual guidance. Always have, and always will.
If a cult is founded overnight, even they will have a steady following in no-time.

The article even shows a neurobiologist in agreement. I find this suprising. The mind, will, and free-will are all considered to be 'magic' by most neurobiologists.

People have died in the name of religion for millenia. The article claims that the end of religion will end war. People aren't about to give up religion because the 'figures' are against them. Even our own spirituality forum shows that.
"Oops. Looks like we were wrong for millenia! I have wasted my life. My bad. Thankyou for enlightening me!"

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
First of all, we are no closer to finding the theory of everything as we were many years ago. The people working on it are all basically working with the same figures. Who is to say that they are even on the right track?

We are a lot closer to finding the ‘final theory of everything’ than you may think.

Finally an answer to EVERYTHING - Quantum Field Gravity - BRAIDS

Besides, some religions are supportive of the unity of classics and quantum. Others will just change to embrace it.

I can only say that the proof of the ultimate truth can only be supported by a single belief, in this respect there could be no conflict.

In any-case, Religion is not something that can be wiped out. Most humans desire spiritual guidance. Always have, and always will.
If a cult is founded overnight, even they will have a steady following in no-time.

It is true that there is a large proportion of humanity that has apathy when dealing with true meanings and direction. These people are like a herd of cattle, being pushed and pulled in whatever direction is the accepted way.

If there was only the truth, there could not be any misguided direction of the apathetic group.

The article even shows a neurobiologist in agreement. I find this surprising. The mind, will, and free-will are all considered to be 'magic' by most neurobiologists.

There has been a revelation in neurobiology in recent years, championed by Dr. Stuart Hammeroff MA, who has discovered Quantum structures in the brain. Giving rise to the concept of the brain being the receiver of consciousness...

Which I admit appears to validate a key fundamental of all religions. However it does correspond directly to Quantum Loop Gravity (the best rendering so far of the final theory of everything), and the wave nature of consciousness.

Quantum Consciousness - life and consciousness connected to the funda-mental level of reality?

People have died in the name of religion for millennia.

Needlessly and Stupendously - however this should be known as a fight and struggle against oppression.

What's more is people in our future will look back at people in history and say "look at all those people that died because of old age" and say that was just as needless and stupendous.

The article claims that the end of religion will end war. People aren't about to give up religion because the 'figures' are against them. Even our own spirituality forum shows that.
"Oops. Looks like we were wrong for millennia! I have wasted my life. My bad. Thankyou for enlightening me!"

Quite correct, this is why I believe we are currently in a war with ISLAM. It is why religious extremists exist.... it's why they believe in ‘Convert or DIE....’

Ironically it is the apathetic that will decide how far the war goes, will they allow ever more integration with a structure that cannot bring anything other than misery or will they finally stand up and say....

"No More LIES... we believe in ourselves!!"

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Religion has always been a part of humanity. Even people 20,000 years ago had some belief system. They were buried in fetal positions with food and tools (for birth into a next life??)

Religion and humanity go hand in hand. There is no way that it will go away. I think this is just a fantasy of some scientists who are athiest.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Why would there be an end to all wars if religion is forgotten about?

Communism and fascism have caused more wars, pain, and suffering than religion. All of these ideologies are based on atheistic systems.

Is this just a response fueled by hatred for Islamic fundamentalism?

[edit on 3-1-2007 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
There will always be religion because people have to believe in the after life, which is common to all religions. It is because we don't want to think that after we die there is nothing more for us. People are always going to believe this no matter how much science advances.

Back in the middle ages when science was coming into it's own, many thought it would be the end of religion and the Church was very successful in stifling scientific advancement, but it hasn't happened yet and I don't think it ever will.

Even if we abandoned religion it would reduce the extremists and there would be less war, but I don't think it will end all wars. There will always be something to fight about as well. That is because we are competitive in nature and competition is how we have advanced to where we are today. Without it I think any species in nature would die out.

As far as finding the theory of everything, I don't see how this discovery, however profound it might be, will change anything for the average person. If these scientists think it will, they need to get out more. It will explain how physics work on a macro scale as well as the micro scale, but what value would that be to the average person? Not much.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth
Is this just a response fueled by hatred for Islamic fundamentalism?

Reading the article I got the idea that they hated ALL religions and view them as superstition at best, and at worst they view religions (in general)as the foder of ALL wars and stupidity among all humans.

I don't think it was just an anti-Islam thing. I think it's an anti-religion thing.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
I can only say that the proof of the ultimate truth can only be supported by a single belief, in this respect there could be no conflict.

Well I didn't even think of that!
I was an omnist before it was cool!

If there was only the truth, there could not be any misguided direction of the apathetic group.

Yes, but that's the point. People are misguided. They aren't about to open their eyes to the truth. Again with the cult as an example. A charismatic leader will influence people more than an accurate set of figures on paper.

We are a lot closer to finding the ‘final theory of everything’ than you may think....
There has been a revelation in neurobiology in recent years, championed by Dr. Stuart Hammeroff MA, who has discovered Quantum structures in the brain....

Thanks man.
I guess I need to brush up! Looks like the thesis I was starting to write has gone out the window!

Cheers, Neon!

EDIT: Fixed bad quotes...

[edit on 4-1-2007 by Gear]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Didint anyone see South Park recently? They had a world without religion.
The entire planet was at war over something else.

Sure its just South Park but they make alot of sense. Like the Twilight Zone of our time with big-headed cartoon kids.

Anyway, the cold war had nothing to with religion. Im pretty sure WWII had nothing to do with religion. Vietnam had nothing to do with religion. WWI had nothing to do with religion. The Civil War had nothing to do with religion. The Crimean Wars had nothing to do with religion.

The only thing I can recall that had anything to do with religion was the Crusades.

Until the Muslims started shouting Holy War on the West that is.

Still, I dont see enough cause to justify the abolishion of religion. Besides, its a fundamental human right to be allowed to worship as you see fit. Unless you guys in the UK have given that up with your knives and guns too.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
WAR: It is now commonly believed that there was no war until about 12,000 years or so ago, when the population grew and there was not enough land to support the raising of crops. Almost all wars are over resources and the lack of them. Having no religion wouldn't stop war. For example, the USSR had laws against practicing religion. Yet they still went to war in Afghanistan and invaded other countries.
Another thing is that also we have politicians who are arms dealers making decisions about whether or not to go to war. There's a conflict of interest and I think sometimes wars have been fought so the few elites at the top can make even more money, which is their religion and god.

RELIGION: I think we are talking about organized religion here. I have to agree that it is used to control people, at least, that's how it started. I think everyone has a different relationship to the Divine and it is best served by a person developing that relationship within the dictates of their own conscience, rather than by going by someone else's version. It's the dogma that isn't good, it teaches people to conform, obey and in general give up their minds to the church.

JSR

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
the things in that article will never happen.

when we find the theroy to everything, there will be more questions.

religons will claim the findings prove there is a god, and he is perfect bla bla bla...

this will just flat never happen.

i guess it is nice to be a dreamer though.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
If there will be no extremist islamists terrorists anymore in the near future.
No religion??? For what cause will the bush clan fight then?

Btw, islamic terrorists don't excist.
As a muslim is supposed to follow the word of the Qu'ran they would not dare to bomb in the facinity of other muslims or even in the facinity of innocent non believers. By there believe they would be accounted for each and any kill at the end of their lives.
They are only allowed by the Qu'ran to fight the ones that suppress them.

And hell yeah, I support that. Bomb those suppressors... And no I'm not muslim.

If we haven't got a shared filosofy/believe we will keep fighting eachother till the end of times. The end of religion or a shared filosofy/believe means the end of civilization.

I personally think that all religions should start to understand they believe in one and the same thing. Many people say they don't believe in god but they believe there is something that connects all of us. Well that's god, it's us, it's everything.

What if scientists explain everything with super string theories or quantum physics/consciousness... Will they be able to create their own laws of physics?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky6
Won't ever happen.

Unfortunately you are correct.

A world without religion, would be better than a world without terrorists.
But removing religion is just as possible as removing terrorism.

What we need is a major world war....

religion and the corporate ideolgy need to be utterly destroyed if mankind ever has a chance of achieving PEACE, and joining other races in a Space age community.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

There will always be religion because people have to believe in the after life, which is common to all religions. It is because we don't want to think that after we die there is nothing more for us. People are always going to believe this no matter how much science advances.

Religion and spirituality are two different things....one can be spiritual without being religious.

As far as needing to believe in the afterlife I think the irony here is science has proved the existence of the afterlife if one cares to look at the evidence.

Check out the scientific study done at the University of Arizona on the survival of consciousness and the afterlife

veritas.arizona.edu...

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

What we need is a major world war....

religion and the corporate ideolgy need to be utterly destroyed if mankind ever has a chance of achieving PEACE, and joining other races in a Space age community.

HAHAHA WHHAAATTT??!?!

Peace with other space age races? Was I asleep when the aliens landed then left because we were too violent? Or is it my fault for not being properly versed in the aliens forum?

Anyway, I couldnt think of a better reason to want peace than to impress intergalactic travelers. If peace to impress a god from beyond doesnt work why would it work with aliens? Why would different aliens pit us in mortal combat against each other so that they may easier take control of our planet?

Damn tyrannical aliens.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

How can you even say this,

There will always be religion
the most stupid statement I ´ve ever heard in my life. Saying that is basically saying humanity won´t evolve, therefore we won´t raise our level of intelligence /knowledge and because of it we won´t be able to discard the existence of an imaginary being blablabla.

Then you say

It is because we don't want to think that after we die there is nothing more for us.

NEWS FLASH: not everyone is afraid of the truth as you are, dude YOU ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO GET OUT MORE (and read more too)

People are always going to believe this no matter how much science advances.
again an assumption based on nothing

Back in the middle ages when science was coming into it's own, many thought it would be the end of religion and the Church was very successful in stifling scientific advancement, but it hasn't happened yet and I don't think it ever will.

A "fact" out of nowhere, no one ever thought that science will end religion around that time. The sole fact that the first scientists believed in god ...

Even if we abandoned religion it would reduce the extremists and there would be less war, but I don't think it will end all wars. There will always be something to fight about as well. That is because we are competitive in nature and competition is how we have advanced to where we are today. Without it I think any species in nature would die out.

By the time humanity gets rid of religion, the average intelligence of us will be enough so people gradually will realize that religion isn´t the only cause of war and we will get rid of other things like capitalism or states.

As far as finding the theory of everything, I don't see how this discovery, however profound it might be, will change anything for the average person. If these scientists think it will, they need to get out more. It will explain how physics work on a macro scale as well as the micro scale, but what value would that be to the average person? Not much.

Obviously you have no idea what the theory of everything is, the sole fact that it will explain something like what happened before the big bang....amazing.
Remember, by the time this theory is released (correct word? sry bad english) the average intelligence of humanity will be much greater than now.

[edit on 4-1-2007 by Zeratul]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join