It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cherry Blossoms Bloom In Brooklyn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

www.mccullagh.org..." border=0>

Cherry Blossoms Bloom In Brooklyn

Whether it's because of global warming, El Nino, or just a really long warm spell, weather in New York City this winter has been awfully strange. With temperatures continually hovering around the 50 degree mark and even occasionally nearing 60, perhaps the most bizarre weather-related incident happened in Brooklyn where cherry blossoms decided to make an early appearance.

At the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, it hardly seems like the dead of winter. Most cherry blossoms don't bloom until the beginning of spring when the winter chill finally begins to warm up. But there hasn't been a winter chill for most of the season, and for that reason, a cherry blossom tree was in practically full bloom on this the second day of January.

The cherry blossom tree isn't the only confused species in the area. Turtles that are supposed to be hibernating right now are still going for a daily swim. Birds are plentiful, and the park still receives many visitors -- something they typically don't see during the winter.

CBS 2 Meteorologist John Bolaris says the unseasonable weather should mostly be attributed to El Nino.

More...

Doesn't really feel like winter ever came...and now the trees seem to agree.

Interesting.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by loam]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I was just getting ready to post this article! Amazing isn't it?

I'm down here near Philly and my creeping phlox are BLOOMING! It's supposed to be 65 degrees on Friday. The flowers are blooming. This is 'the winter that wasn't'.

* predictions
... No shadow for Phil on Groundhog Day. Early Spring! (winter never came)
... hurricane season will start early and be a real pain in the backend!!!

Hurricane Chief Retires

[edit on 1/3/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Yes I have noticed that it is getting a lot warmer than it should be. I mean, down here in Florida, where we usually get high temps in the 60's, we are getting high 70's and sometimes low 80's!!!! Right now, I think it is about in the sevenites right now, where aasit should be around the mid sixties and downward! I haven't seen this kind of warm weather since uhhh well, it hasn't been this war, at least not in my time
Also, a few weeks ago, I heard that it snowed somewhere in Florida over night!!
Well anyway, it seems like it's been getting warmer and warmer, ever since 2004 when we got all those hurricanes
I'm sure worried abut how hot it will get in the summers. All the seasons seemed confused. Spring and fall seem colder than winter! Well, I guess maybe summer is the only season not confused
Well, with all this global warming and crap, summer might end up being about ten degrees hotter in two more years! Sunburn

[edit on 3-1-2007 by spidy]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm outside of toronto at the moment, and it's 8 degrees Centigrade here. Freaky. Even back at base, it was like three above, with little snow on the ground. Where my winter at?

(oh please, not while we're in the field!)

DE

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by spidy
Right now, I think it is about in the sevenites right now,

Hmm, weird DE.
I made a mistake, I said seventies, it was actually eighties! Thing won't let me edit it though, I just now noticed the mistake.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
yeah the gardening and horticultural world in california also noticed that their plants were either blooming for too long or were getting jumpstarted on the growing season and doing things about a month earlier than the almenac expected. This was around mid november and late december when our winter was unuasully warm. 80 degrees on christmas day.

Al Gore is right. Global warming is happening.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
There were birds chirping, sun shining, almost 60 degrees, and beautiful in good ol' Boston today!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
this was the first december in over 100 years that not a single snow flake was recorded in NYC.

There was an article in the NY Daily News today that had a rather funny sub-heading. Warm weather has scientists puzzled, golfers thrilled.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I planted some Iris bulbs a couple of months ago and they have already came up and are about a foot tall!

I wish I could se the Cherry blossoms!
I live in Florida also.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I live in central Pa. and have yet to break out my winter coat.The nights are chilly but the days are like late april early may temps.And not one bit of snow here,very weird winter.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Another reply from a New Englander...very strange indeed.
I actually had to dig out my summer clothes for this unusually warm winter!
It'll be T-Shirts and Shorts for me tomorrow, and maybe a sweater when it gets a little colder in the evening. In our area the forecasters are predicting it to reach a high of 70 tomorrow, on the 6th of January in NEW ENGLAND??!!!!!!

Call me crazy but I think there might be something wrong here. Why haven't we heard from any scientists or meteorologists about this unusually warm winter weather??

Oh yeah and another thing, I was out shopping at the mall and I see the looks on peoples faces..and I can read them..they're thinking "WTF?"
Everyone seems to just be going around and doing their own thing though...some even seem happy to be without snow...while others miss the usual 3 feet or so during this time of the year.
I feel sorry for the state workers who plow for the highway dept., their families are relying on that pay for overtime plowing.

[edit on 1/5/2007 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Yes here in GA we have some bad weather today, storms and rain because the warm weather tomorrow we are going to be in the 70s.

While we wonder on the early blooms and snow-less months in NY, people seems to like the warmer weather.

Is nice to be in a pleasant climate, but at the end we will see what this changes will do to our farming industry.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think the cherry trees are blooming in D.C. too. I imagine all the people with advance reservations to tour Washington when they're supposed to bloom are going to be disappointed.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Down here in Texas, I've noticed the bulbs coming up earlier every year for the last 4 or 5. I've also noticed the sun seeming much warmer in the winter than I ever remember it. I think the sun may have a lot more to do with global warming than we're being told.

top topics

join