It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UN Secretary General Speaks on Capital Punishment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has made a strong comment on capital punishment, saying that each country has the right to decide on it's own laws. On his first day on the job he has completely contradicted the stance of the UN, on the issue. The UN officially opposes the death penalty.

www.cbc.ca
On his first day in the job, new UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon appeared to ignore the United Nation's opposition to the death penalty by saying capital punishment should be a decision made by individual countries. Ban made the comments Tuesday in response to a reporter's question about the execution of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein over the weekend.

"Saddam Hussein was responsible for committing heinous crimes and unspeakable atrocities against Iraqi people, and we should never forget victims of his crime," Ban said. "The issue of capital punishment is for each and every member state to decide."

However, the UN officially opposes capital punishment. The top UN envoy in Iraq, Ashraf Qazi, restated the position again on Saturday after the former Iraqi dictator was hanged.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now this is nothing earth shattering, the stance of the UN on the issue appears to remain strong. Yet I find it hard to believe that, on the first day on the job, Ban Ki-moon could actually come out and make such a bold statement that goes against the official stance of the organization that he represents.

Capital punishment has always been a sticky subject, and probably will be for a very long time. In the wake of the Hussein execution, it appears it is becoming a bit of a hot topic. Hussein is a bit of an extremity when it comes to the topic, as he was guilty of severe crimes against humanity. If one can oppose the death sentence for Hussein, they could oppose it in any situation.

What are your thoughts on the comments made by Ki-Moon?

Should he of checked his opinions at the door?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I believe in the death penalty, for extreme cases.

Child RAPE ( And not the old 'she's under 16 but consented crap ')
Murder
Multiple Drink Driving offenses

Other cases should have the penalty increased 10fold.
If you rob someone, your going to prison for 10years MINIMUM
If you beat someone up, your going to the WORST prison for 12 months.

I agree with him.

A country should be able to hold a trial, and declare the death pentaly if it see's fit.

the only trouble with this, is could a law be introduced, and maniuplated for ethnic clensing?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Ban Ki-moon is spot on in this case. While I don't agree with the death penalty the UN has a lot bigger problems to worry about. Ban Ki-moon needs to concentrate on making the UN an effective governing body that has the teeth to make a difference. Until the UN is reformed the organization wont be able to tackle the likes terrorism and poverty little alone the death penalty .

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Huh, would you look at that. The new UN guy is actually respecting national rights. I actually like this guy so far.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I believe in the death penalty, for extreme cases.

Child RAPE ( And not the old 'she's under 16 but consented crap ')
Murder
Multiple Drink Driving offenses

agree completely. pedophiles should be on death row. the DUI i agree with only in cases where the driver actually killed someone else. as far as i'm concerned, that's premeditated murder.....but not simply for multiple offenses. after one, revoke the license for one year. after two, minimum 6 months in jail, revoke license permanently. three minimum five years in prison.....more than that, lifeterm.

but again, pedophiles....fry em.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Ban Ki-moon is spot on in this case. While I don't agree with the death penalty the UN has a lot bigger problems to worry about. Ban Ki-moon needs to concentrate on making the UN an effective governing body that has the teeth to make a difference. Until the UN is reformed the organization wont be able to tackle the likes terrorism and poverty little alone the death penalty .

So long as certain countries ignore the UN's recomendations.. they are useless.

MOST countries follow the UN because they need them in one way or another.
But certain 'super-powers' that helped CREATE the UN, effectivley can destroy the UNs power, when they ignore them, and decide its better to murder maime invade and occupy, when clearly they were wrong and the UN were right.

this guys good, because he's willing to stand out and be heard on issues most people dare not challenge. Hes willing to express his opinion, which so far looks like a good one!

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Agit8dChop your forgetting that many of the members of the UN are the cause of the worlds problems and that the security council needs to be reformed the right to veto needs to be canned.
Peacekeeping has proved to be a pretty useless concept. Heres hoping Ban Ki-moon can lead the way in reforming the UN and put an end to the calls to scrap the UN that are coming from the American right. Choosing what issues need to be tackled and which ones can be left to the way side is a good start.

The UN dosnt exist to bundle out certain countries out of foreign policy misadventures but thats another topic.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I dunno, seems the 2nd biggest problem with the world atm is IRAQ.
They clearly were against thatl.

Seems the most important issue is global warming, and they are really trying hard on that.
But it seems other countries are lack lustered in approaching the issue.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Agit8dChop check your inbox to avoid going off topic I have replied via U2U.
Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I fail to see how executing anyone is masked as a form of justice. It is revenge, and most of us know it. But it tastes so sweet, most of us do not care. How is Iraq any better for hanging Saddam? They have stooped to his own level and resorted to tactics that they condemned him for. Murder is murder, any loss of life is a tragedy. I'm not saying Hussein should not be punished for his crimes, but death is not the answer. We've basically allowed him to get off completely free for the crimes he has committed. The man had a strong religious faith. If he had the choice, he probably would of looked forward to execution rather than tossed in a jail cell to spend the rest of his days.

Murder is Murder.

But Capital Punishment is not the only issue at play here. The main issue here is the fact that, the new General Secretary, on the first day on the job, has openly contradicted a firm UN stance.

new topics

top topics

join