It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians would be wise to copy the bible.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I was raised christian (im not christian anymore) and one thing I saw a wise person do that seemed to make sense and he probably gained some profound insite into the bible was he copied the bible down word for word from beginning to end.

I think that all christians should do this too. I think that many christians accept what a preicher or miniser or priest says as all that there is in the bible and accept it as truth. I sumise that if you would copy the bible word for word that you would gain much needed clarity in the gosples and the testiments.

Like I said before I am not christian I am pagan. In my belief system we make our own books. This book is commonly refered to as a book of shaddows. However it is more a book of light.

Many christians fear a BOS because they feel that it is evil. However these books are just books and could only harm you if you happen to get a paper cut from one.

But the point is we write down our own books. They become a part of us and we bond with them. We know each and every page in them because we created it. We put life into each and every word with our own hands.

If christians copied the bible word for word they would gain so much from their own faith. It would also make ones faith in god stronger and more sure. You would have the knowledge because you concentrated on each and every word you wrote into that book. It would become a matter of honer and dignety to the christian faith. To your faith and to the ones around you.

Perhaps it would become a family project. One would pass down the bible from one generation to the next and each generation can look upon the previous generations work with the knowlege that this was indeed a FAMILY bible.

What do you all think?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I do not understand what you mean. I have gone through the bible and wrote down the passage I thought were interesting, but I don't know why we need to copy it if we have it already?

It would take many hours to do that, when you could just buy copies.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
That is probably one of the most outstanding ideas I have heard in a long time by someone.

I think you are right that most Christians, or many other religious folk for that matter, would do well to become connected with the belief system they profess. Of course, many do not have the time to do this, and it is obvious where their priorities lie, but I can honestly say that by doing what you recommend, a lot of people would know a lot more of the topic of their faith than they do.

I have read probably 85% of the Bible. I read it completely out of sequence over many years. If I did this, I would probably gain more insight and would be forced to read the other 15%, but I can assure you my copy of the text would mean more to me than obtaining a printed version.

It is much like someone building their own house I suppose. The homeowner who made his castle with his own two hands will be more intimant with his creation than someone paying someone else for a home.

Excellent post!!

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
ou have voted whatukno for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I think what the original poster means by 'copying out the bible' is to write it out as you read it, so that it sticks in your head better, like some students do with their study notes; they will recopy them to better learn the material. It's not a bad idea, if you learn better that way. Interestingly, this is how the Christian monks made Bibles back in the day before there was any better way than to copy it out by hand. I'll bet they knew their scriptures inside out... (at least the literate ones did; some scribes were actually illiterate and just copied without comprehension)

Definitely it is a good idea to read it and not just take the word of a reverend/priest/minister/whatever about what it says.

In reference to the book of shadows that whatukno mentions, I think those are named rather poorly, myself. From what I understand, they are basically just like a journal or diary of your spiritual progression.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
In reference to the book of shadows that whatukno mentions, I think those are named rather poorly, myself. From what I understand, they are basically just like a journal or diary of your spiritual progression.

Exactly right, BOS is a terrible name for what they are. The correct term is arcanum, these books can get huge, I have seen some that are reaching a thousand pages. Some are illuminated beautifly too. Thanks for the feedback I am glad that people get what I was trying to express.

Christianity is a good faith for a lot of people, but many just don't take the time to truly understand the religion. I personaly have read the bible three times from cover to cover. It is frustrating to listen to christians discuss a handfull of passages or rather sentances, and take that for the majority of what the bible has to say.

Thanks ben91069 I have actualy never been voted for before.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Christians would be wise to copy the bible.

While everyone else would be wise to burn it or use it for toilet paper/joint rolling or any other handy use for paper other than reading it. IMO

G

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
shihulud, With all the time you saved by not reading the bible why don't you read this.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

This forum is for religious discussion...not you immature rantings.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I think that many christians accept what a preicher or miniser or priest says as all that there is in the bible and accept it as truth. I sumise that if you would copy the bible word for word that you would gain much needed clarity in the gosples and the testiments.

I certainly agree with this. This has been a driving point in most of my posts about Christianity. Most "christians" seem to be more than willing to take what their priest or pastor tells them at face value, and then criticize those who refuse to do likewise.

My main point is, what make a priest or pastor's opinion, because that is certainly what their sermons are, opinion, any better than mine or yours? Nothing. However, there are millions of "christians" that will swear up and down otherwise, and then criticize you for even insinuating that the pastor doesn't hold some kind of "esteem" over you.

This is not something that is exclusive to Christianity I suppose. I would venture to guess that this type of attitude is also predominant in Judaism and Islam as well. "Think not for yourself..." :shk:

I do think that your suggestion that "christians" should copy the bible word for word as a method for memory is not a bad idea. I'd venture to guess that most would learn something tha they didn't realize if they did this.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Most "christians" seem to be more than willing to take what their priest or pastor tells them at face value, and then criticize those who refuse to do likewise.

I'm not sure what "face value" means but if your pastor isn't preaching and teaching from the bible I would recommend you find another Church...a bible based Church.

Personally I've never been to a Church that teaches from something other than the bible but maybe they are out there.

We shouldn't be following men...we should be following Jesus Christ.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I'm not sure what "face value" means but if your pastor isn't preaching and teaching from the bible I would recommend you find another Church...a bible based Church.

Regardless of whether a pastor is "preaching from the bible" or not, if you take that preachers interpretation at face value, then you are certainly not thinking for yourself.Taking something at "face value" means that you assume that it's true just because the pastor says that it is.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Regardless of whether a pastor is "preaching from the bible" or not, if you take that preachers interpretation at face value, then you are certainly not thinking for yourself.

I see....you abide by the "trust nobody" rule.

But seriously there is nothing wrong with learning from a theological scholar.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
There is absolutly nothing wrong with learning from someone who has been there. What is wrong in my opinion is to basicly hack the bible into minute segments that flow with the speakers thoughts. All too often (and I would get in trouble for pointing it out) the speaker was way off of what the book actualy said. I know the bible lends itself to interpretation but sometimes I think its being used to liberaly.

As a guide to spirituality the bible can be used as a great builder of faith. Even for those who don't believe in the literal meaning of it. It had been used for two thousand years to help guide people on a good path. There is not one thing wrong with that. I don't believe that Jesus was anyone special but that is only my opinion. My opinion shouldent stop anyone from learning valuable lessons from this book.

And christians all too often I feel need to realy read the bible or as I said before write it down to get that message through to them.

If you do hapen across someone who can look at the bible objectivly and believe in the truth in the words then by all means listen to that person. Take away from them what you can learn and leave behind the stuff they say that doesnt fit your life. Now you are on a path of spiritual growth.

And If I am not mestaken it says that somewhere in the bible. He whom hath an ear let him hear. Not he whom hath an ear shove the book down their throat. but let him hear. My understanding is that would seem to mean let him listen to what the person speaking has to say but don't condemn him for not blindly agreeing with you.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
well, the main reason people would be good to copy down a bible is that it would force them to actually read and consider the whole compendium

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Thanks ben91069 I have actualy never been voted for before.

Well, now you've been voted twice, so you can call yourself a veteran.

You have voted whatukno for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Honestly, this is the best idea I've ever come across on ATS.

First, because -- as you pointed out -- it will help Christians see through the lies of their ringmasters and shamans.

Second, because it will bring believers face to face with the hatred, bigotry, ignorance, viciousness and general nastiness that make up much of the content of this so-called holy book.

Thirdly, it will give them something to keep them occupied and quiet, as a result of which we may hope to see fewer pogroms, witch-burnings, religious wars, genocides, abortion-clinic bombings, flagellations, gay-bashings, fear and hatred of sex, acts of sexual perversity born of repression, outbreaks of mass hysteria, faked miracles, Virgin Mary sightings, Satanic ritual abuse claims, ridiculous self-righteous posturing, general gullibility and all the other manifestations of the True Faith.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
What a noble idea. I see what you're getting at. Not only would writing the text down help you improve your memory of what's written inside the book, but as you said it would give you a more personal binding with the words. Bravo to this good idea.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I see....you abide by the "trust nobody" rule.

I abide by the trust thine ownself rule.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Way back in the day before the printing press, this was common practice for clergy. You would have to copy the Bible word for word so you would have your own copy.

Even beyond that, around the time the Romans took Israel and before, it was customary for every Jew to transcribe their own copy of the Torah. This is one of the primary reasons the Dead Sea Scrolls match the Torah and prophets so closely -- there were so many copies that someone who had written their own copy would notice any deviation in another’s right away.

Sadly, in today's age of information, commentaries and preachers have become more popular than scripture. Rick Joyner, the senior pastor of Morning Star Missions, has mentioned that when he goes to have books published, the publishers ask him to scale back the scripture in his books becuase it bores people. Christian publishers recognize that people are more interested in what people have to say over what God has to say, and it’s incredibly sad.

I completely agree with the premise, though. Go to the source, scripture, so you're equipped enough to know if a pastor is teaching from scripture, or if they're using scripture to teach what they want to teach. How can a Christian discern the validity of what is being taught if they have no knowledge of what is contained within scripture? Talk about an open door to false prophesy and false teaching! Second Peter 2 1-3a warns us of these false teachers and prophets:

But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up.

Too many Christians are willing to follow these false prophets and teachers because they are unwilling to read the Word, let alone keep the Word of God in their hearts. They are right in line with what Peter talks about in verse 2. They let their emotions dictate truth to them. If it feels good, if it feels right, it must be right and it must be God’s will, even if it’s directly contrary to scripture, and there are those who are very willing to exploit this, some for money, some for popularity, some for power, some because they believe in today’s culture’s morality and try to make scripture fit the culture, but all in service of the enemy, knowingly or not.

Christians, do not fall into that category of people following the shameful ways of false teachers, causing the Truth to fall further into disrepute!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Christians, do not fall into that category of people following the shameful ways of false teachers, causing the Truth to fall further into disrepute!

Really...Hmmm... Let me name a few for you...
Pat Robertson, Benny Hinn, Jimmy Swaggert,

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Matthew 7:2-6

Nothing you say here will impact any of those teachers. Yet, any actions of your own that you take to know God better, and any behavioral patters in your life that you take the time to recognize as ungodly and correct will not only impact your own life, but the lives of those around you and it will allow you to minister to others more effectively. Expose yourself to the light, escape from darkness, and do not concern yourself with God's condemnation or exaltation of individuals outside of your realm of influence:

5This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

1 John 1:5-10

top topics

<<   2 >>

join