It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F22 in a combat zone??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Hi

Has the F22 so far been deplyed to a combat zone like Afganistan or Iraq?

and with the democrats taking control of both Houses in the Midterms, could we start to see a trickle of Export orders coming through from the JASDF, RAAF and perhaps even the RAF?

Jason

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I read your question and it got me curious, after quite some browsing at f22fighter.com it looks as though they haven't seen any action yet.

It also mentions that the US wants to sell f22's to "trusted allies" which really means anyone who is willing to spend that much for an aircraft. Unfortunately for the US, it doesnt look like anyone is biting.
The RAF has it's new fleets of EF2000's which are better suited for multirole purposes, I don't think the Brits have any intention of buying the F22.

From what I can tell, the US isn't going to be deploying these things at the drop of a hat. They are far too expensive to risk in open combat. The US Airforce has dubbed the aircraft an "Indespencible Investment". Which means if they do see action, it will be from a targeting computer, using long range weapons so that the aircraft isn't put in harms way.

I think the reason why most other countries don't want the fighter, is because
A: Theres very few countries which can compete with what we've already got.
B: Through experience in all out war, they know ALL war machines are intended to be expendable, you rarely expect all your fighters to come home.
C: If you spend that much on a fighter, you'd never want to use it. Like a sports car you would only drive in the summer.

The Australians are the latest country to turn down the F22 offer.

Last I heard, Canada was also thinking of getting in on the Eurofighter project.

So it looks like the F22 is going to remain an American only fighter.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This pisses me off. An american company using american tax dollars builds the most advanced jet in the world then offers to sell it to anyone. Glad to see my tax dollars are going to benefit everyone but me

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well I guess thats why the Joint Strike Fighter will be bought instead by Australia (and other countries) as a more reasonable alternative at a much cheaper price.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The F22 hasn't been used in combat yet.

Japan and Saudi were thinking of buying some but the USAF won't sell them the full version. They would be "diet" Raptors, with downgraded radar and stealth but they'll still cost $130 Million US dollars.

Makes me wonder...... From a technologlical point of view, Japan is ten years ahead of the west, yet they are still buying planes from Uncle Sam.
Could the US have something they're aren't telling us?....

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntoTheVoid

From a technologlical point of view, Japan is ten years ahead of the west

You are kidding right?? I think you are mistaking civilian declassified technology, with classified technology.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Just curious what an F22 would do over Iraq / Afghanistan which a conventional jet (F15, Harrier etc) could not do better.

Regards

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Just curious what an F22 would do over Iraq / Afghanistan which a conventional jet (F15, Harrier etc) could not do better.

Regards

umm nothing, considering there are currently no enemy "tango" aircraft in the air.

Airpower is all about AtoG delivering bombs on haji holes in those theaters.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by admriker444
This pisses me off. An american company using american tax dollars builds the most advanced jet in the world then offers to sell it to anyone. Glad to see my tax dollars are going to benefit everyone but me

OK, so your saying foreign investment in an American product is bad for America?

I guess Lufthansa buying Boeings isn't such a good thing then?

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The F-22 Raptor has not yet been deployed to a 'combat zone', there is no need for it in Iraq or Afghanistan. However, several F-22's were deployed in Alaska for a few weeks when they participated in Northern Edge. Several F-22's from the 94th FS are also currently participating in the "Colonial Flag" (Red Flag) exercise. And last but not least it will be deployed to Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan in February.

Also, the F-22 cannot be sold to anyone but the US at the moment, there is a congressional ban on foreign sales. It is unlikely for that to change in the near future.

One more thing, the Raptors current fly away cost is 120 Million and dropping, and it is not too expensive to use, as has been proven by the F-117 and B-2 bomber. If we are to get in a conflict where the enemy actually had an air force you can bet your behind Raptors will be in the air hunting.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Thanks westpoint you said so i wouldn't have to. by the way good to see some new faces on the aviation forums lately just keep the questions coming and the egos in check.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1150111

From a technologlical point of view, Japan is ten years ahead of the west

You are kidding right?? I think you are mistaking civilian declassified technology, with classified technology.

I think you are confused. I did say "...unless the USA has something they aren't telling us" didn't I ? Or did you only skim it before trying to condescend me?

Obviously I do mean civillian tech, otherwise the Japs wouldn't be wanting to buy planes off the yanks. I haven't been to Area 51 so I can't comment on the USA's classified millitary technology. I'm talking about what we can actually prove.

What I meant was, if Japan builds a car, the USA will take AT LEAST 10 years to come up with something only half as clever and half as well built. If you go to Tokyo, you would be forgiven for thinking you had just stepped into a scene from Blade Runner.

I'm pretty sure that the USA has got the most advanced classified tech and it's probably 500 years ahead of everyone else. Problem is, there is no real evidence of this until it gets de-classified.

If you can arrange a tour of Area 51 for us all, I'll happily eat my shoes when I see the Uber-tech, anti-grav, faster than light craft. But until then...........

PS. I may have been misinformed on the F22 but I got those "facts" from a friend in the RAF so i apoligse if anything I said was incorrect. I won't knowingly write BS.

[edit on 27-1-2007 by IntoTheVoid]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The F22 hasn't been used in combat yet.

Japan and Saudi were thinking of buying some but the USAF won't sell them the full version. They would be "diet" Raptors, with downgraded radar and stealth but they'll still cost $130 Million US dollars.

Makes me wonder...... From a technologlical point of view, Japan is ten years ahead of the west, yet they are still buying planes from Uncle Sam.
Could the US have something they're aren't telling us?....

Umm you can pretty much count on that. In fact I'd bet my life on it.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

If you go to Tokyo, you would be forgiven for thinking you had just stepped into a scene from Blade Runner.

I've been to Tokyo, and it's a lot cleaner, friendler, more efficient and pleasant than anything in Blade Runner.

They must find the West a bit primitive.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   

What I meant was, if Japan builds a car, the USA will take AT LEAST 10 years to come up with something only half as clever and half as well built. If you go to Tokyo, you would be forgiven for thinking you had just stepped into a scene from Blade Runner.

Yes, you are right. As far as the technology goes Japan is right up there (highly classified military stuff notwithstanding).

What Japan lacks, and has done since 1945, is a large aerospace infrastructure that would allow the design, development and production of such aircraft indegenously.

The Japanese aerospace industry has al;ways remained very small since it was re-established in the 1950's, staying at the level of the odd jet trainer, turboprop airliner or flying boat etc. As far as combat aircraft go Japan has relied heavily on foreign assistance, hence why the Mitsubishi F-1 looks like the Jaguar and the F-2 looks (even more) like the F-16.

This is something Japan has been steadily improving upon over the last 25 years however and the fruits of it are bearing fruit with Japans large share in the Boeing 787 programme (larger than the former BAE share in Airbus for instance). If Japan were to buy the F-22 they would nowadays look to at least assemble the plane in Japan as a further step along the road to aerospace autonomy, this might not be so acceptable to the USA as a straight export buy might be.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well, we let them license produce the F-15, so they have some experience with manufacturing high end aircraft. However I don't think we would let them produce the F-22 in such a manner simply because of the technology involved.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

As far as combat aircraft go Japan has relied heavily on foreign assistance, hence why the Mitsubishi F-1 looks like the Jaguar and the F-2 looks (even more) like the F-16.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by waynos]

Ah the Sepecat! I thought the Mitsi' looked familar......

So when Chevrolet starts using a cutting edge, bi-pedal robot in its commercials, we'll know where it came from.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
It also mentions that the US wants to sell f22's to "trusted allies" which really means anyone who is willing to spend that much for an aircraft. Unfortunately for the US, it doesnt look like anyone is biting.

From what I can tell, the US isn't going to be deploying these things at the drop of a hat. They are far too expensive to risk in open combat. The US Airforce has dubbed the aircraft an "Indespencible Investment". Which means if they do see action, it will be from a targeting computer, using long range weapons so that the aircraft isn't put in harms way.

I think the reason why most other countries don't want the fighter, is because
A: Theres very few countries which can compete with what we've already got.
B: Through experience in all out war, they know ALL war machines are intended to be expendable, you rarely expect all your fighters to come home.
C: If you spend that much on a fighter, you'd never want to use it. Like a sports car you would only drive in the summer.

The Australians are the latest country to turn down the F22 offer.

Last I heard, Canada was also thinking of getting in on the Eurofighter project.

So it looks like the F22 is going to remain an American only fighter.

The information you gleaned from the F-22 fan website is an outright fabrication. In fact, it is rare to see such gross misrepresentations of the truth as what you have posted.

The US COngress has not given Lockheed permission to sell the F-22 Raptor to anyone other than the US Air Force. Period. Nor are there any plans to do so.

The Japanese have requested the US Congress to explore the possibilities of selling the F-22 to them, but so far Congress has not budged. The Aussies mentioned it but got the same answer.

Also it bears mentioning that the B-2 Bomber has been in combat and there are only 21 of these 2.2 BILLION dollar aircraft, of which only 16 are operational at any given time.
The USAF already has well over 75 F-22's and some are currently deployed in Okinawa. If orders went out to attack North Korea the F-22's at Kadena in Okinawa would be the first in after a massive cruise missile blitz from US Navy ships in the Pacific and the Sea of Japan.
Tools are made to be used, especially the most effective ones and that is what the F-22 represents at this prsent time.

top topics

join