It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion Poll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Hi, I’m doing a thesis about the secret societies. I studied the history and the legend of the most important ones, not necessary the most known, and as a final focus of my work I’m studying which is the place today of the secret groups in our society. So, I would thank you so much if you could answer this easy poll. You would do me a great favour!

So let’s go:

1-Do you know the secret societies beyond the ones famous by books or movies (example: the Templars)?
2-Do you know some ex-member (or still member) of some secret society?
3-Do you think that it’s possible for some secret society to have enough power to control the world from the shadows (Bilderberg-Skull and Bones)?
4-Do you think that actual secret societies control the mind of the initiates or just try to transfer their knowledge?
5-Which type of secret society would you like to know more of? ¿A: religious-mystic type or B: politic type?
6-Has someone offered you to join some secret group or sect, or do you have some experience related to this type of associations?

You can answer every question just with Yes or No, and if you have some experience to tell in the 6th, I will like so much to listen to it. Thank you very much in advance!

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ebenavente
Hi, I’m doing a thesis about the secret societies.

A thesis for what level? High school? A master's programme? Where are you studying this? Sounds interesting, I wouldn't think that many schools have a programme in occultism and secret societies. What is the title of your thesis?

1-Do you know the secret societies beyond the ones famous by books or movies (example: the Templars)?

I would've thought that the Knights Templar were one of the more well known secret socities.

I have a friend who recently joined masonry. He seems to be enjoying it. He was raised to the 3rd degree recently.

3-Do you think that it’s possible for some secret society to have enough power to control the world from the shadows (Bilderberg-Skull and Bones)?

Possible? Sure. Likely? No. The Bilderbergers are a good example of a group that can't control the world from the shadows. Skull and Bones is another. The Nazi Party, if we considered it a secret society, would be a good example of one that could've. Or at least, a conspiracy that stood a chance. Internationalist Communism would be another. But things like OTO or the Elk's Club, the AISB, etc, they don't seem to have that ability. Or interest really. Some people consider the vatican authorities to be a secret society, that is questionable. But you could consider that a secret society that weilded great temporal power. Also, consider the reaction of the papacy to the original Jesuits and their so-called "Black Pope" and the power he weilded. Or the influence of groups like the Ismaili. In Lebanon, the Consitution demands that one of hte three major leaders be Druze. How much influence do the secretive Druze preists have with him, and through that position, over all of Lebanon and the levant?

4-Do you think that actual secret societies control the mind of the initiates or just try to transfer their knowledge?

Mind Control is an iffy thing. Some people seem to be extremely naive and will beleive and obey other people, at times that others would see something like common sense preventing. Other times, people need to be treated with psychiatric drugs to get them to be in willing state. I would say that the vast bulk of actual secret societies out there, like masonry, oto, the elks, etc, don't use anything like actual mind control, and instead they are just passing on ideas.

5-Which type of secret society would you like to know more of? ¿A: religious-mystic type or B: politic type?

I'd be interested in learning about either. I don't see one or the other as being more or less interesting. The occultic groups are what we tend to think of when we talk about secret societies. Political groups are usually just political parties, and they are interesting also.

6-Has someone offered you to join some secret group or sect, or do you have some experience related to this type of associations?

Nope.

You can answer every question just with Yes or No,

I don't see how a yes or no answer would be very useful to any of those questions. You'd want very large numbers to have it of any use if you're looking for statistical data.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
1. The only secret societies I know about are the obvious ones and several college fraternities I heard of.

2. I was in a college fraternity. I have uncles who are masons.

3. I think it is possible for a secret society to control the world. In practice, it would not be probable as their would inevitably be some other group that wants to control the world, and that other group would infiltrate or otherwise try and destroy that society. In actuality, an informal group of business and political leaders run the world. Many members of this group may be part of official organizations like the tri-lateral commission, but for the most part, the membership of this group is informal and is more exclusive than secret.

4. The big secret of secret societies is that there are no big secrets. Mind games play a big part in fraternity initiations, but initiated members are not subject to mind control or games.

5. I would say I would be more interested in politically-oriented groups, just because such groups may have more of an effect on my life. Political conspiracies effect lives, while a bunch of people practicing some form of worship will not really effect my life. Of course, it is possible a group can be a mixture of politics, religion, and mysticism.

6. I was a member of a college fraternity, so obviously I was offered membership. I was also offered membership in a couple of professional fraternities, which may have been secret.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
1. Only vaguely.
2. Yes. I see people around with Freemason rings and bumper stickers all the time. Neighbours, people at work, etc.
3. No. I think they could control or corrupt a small portion of the world if they wanted to, but not the entire thing.
4. Just transfer knowledge. Everyone makes up their own mind.
5. Religious-mystic. I have an interest in the gnostic/mystical side of things.
6. Nope. Kind of wish someone would though... it might be kind of neat to be a part of

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Yarcoffin, some groups, masonry in particular, have rules forbidding them from inviting or recruiting people. So if anyone wants to be a mason, they have to go to a lodge and ask for an application.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Yarcoffin, some groups, masonry in particular, have rules forbidding them from inviting or recruiting people. So if anyone wants to be a mason, they have to go to a lodge and ask for an application.

That being said, with the internet, being asked is a damn sight simpler than it used to be. Find the website for the lodge (or Grand Lodge) and email them. In my case, I swung by the Lodge building at different times of the day until I found in open one afternoon. The then-secretary gave me the tour, asked me a few questions about why I was interested in Masonry and then passed my name on to the Master of the Lodge. That was 6 years ago.

FWIW, if you're interested in joining, Google the Grand Lodge in your Province or State and I'm sure you'll have no problem getting in contact if that's what you want to do

HTH
Fitz

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
So let’s go:

Yes but only one. A society formed due to surrounding circumstance. Think along the lines of a line of work of forced security and secrecy I compare this to the early days of hackers and phreakers, in the early days you had people in jobs with great interest or playing around in areas maybe a little unorthodox, at the same time you had hackers/phrekers learning at fast rates. Ovetime and actions these two sides meet.

Yes a few. Also should be noted the newer generation of the secret societies. Things are just different wit the younger ones. For the better. I think a bit more humble and not the need of doing things that may have happened in the past.

I think many things are possible but for it to happen like this continuous chess game I think is fading along with that generation.

To be completely honest it is based on the initiate as far as the knowledge and the context of obtaining it. As far as controlling one's mind, no you always have your own will, but this is more so touching on a different circumstance.

Not to sound like a know-it-all but I am at a comfortable level of being familiar with all of the. I would rather have more opportunities to meet others that have been,done or seen like minded things.

I do have experience already, however I avoided one invitation as it was premature at the time and sometimes you just don't know about person's motives. I am a firm believer that if you do and/or learn certain things, you can be viewed as much an asset as you would be a threat.

You can answer every question just with Yes or No, and if you have some experience to tell in the 6th, I will like so much to listen to it. Thank you very much in advance!

[edit on 7-1-2007 by yeht]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
YEHT ... change that blue font ... I can't read it! Thanks.

Do you know the secret societies beyond the ones famous by books or movies (example: the Templars)?

Can't be answered. You have to list which ones you think are famous and which ones are obscure.

Do you know some ex-member (or still member) of some secret society?

That depends on what you consider to be a secret society. Example - some people here think Opus Dei is a 'secret society' (It isn't) I know some Masons, but not well.

Do you think that it’s possible for some secret society to have enough power to control the world from the shadows (Bilderberg-Skull and Bones)?

Influence - yes. Control - no.

Do you think that actual secret societies control the mind of the initiates or just try to transfer their knowledge?

Neither.

Which type of secret society would you like to know more of? ¿A: religious-mystic type or B: politic type?

Again - what do you consider a 'religious-mystic' type of secret society. If you say Opus Dei or Knights of Columbus or something like that, you'd be wrong. I want to know exactly what you consider to be 'religious-mystic' type.

Has someone offered you to join some secret group or sect, or do you have some experience related to this type of associations?

Yes and yes.

if you have some experience to tell in the 6th, I will like so much to listen to it.

I was asked to go to a meeting of a certain group and declined. End of story.

[edit on 1/7/2007 by FlyersFan]

Cug

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Yes.. hundreds of them

Yes, I'm a member and ex-member of some secret societies.

Nope... in most cases secret societies have enough problems just running themselves.

Too general of a question.. some do seem to be in "mind control" mode but most don't.

I'm in a constent state of studying occult groups.

Yep, but personally in most cases I was the one who made contact first.

top topics

join