It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detention Center in Utah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The Highly Secret Detention center in Utah that has been found out by Utah lake is still in effect since the whole New Orleans ordeal. The entire area is still manned and functional. For what purpose? Good question! Tens of thousands are the estimated capacity, so although it is not as large as other major internmennt camps nearby the threat neverhteless exists.

www.unknownnews.org
Utah's Governor Jon Huntsman has taken in some of the New Orleans refugees, at Camp Williams. Replete with barbed wire, armed soldiers with weapons at ready, police and sheriff with weapons at ready, and hell, they must surely feel right at home. In America yet. What bull#! I'm not done with this outrage, not by a long shot. I'm actually just getting started.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm Not sure why all these "Concentration" camps are being used. Although this Location is creepy, There are worse! I will shortly post news of the new "Camp" that is pretending to be a waste management facility. Of the non-human type of course!

Related News Links:
www.greaterthings.com
www.hometownlocator.com
www.gis.uiuc.edu

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.mydd.com...

[edit on 2-1-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Your source article is not current - but imo, it's still an important news topic.

From one of your links:

Congress of the United States
March 24, 1997

"Enclosed is the information you requested pertaining to the Army's policy and guidance for establishing civilian inmate labor programs and civilian prison camps on Army installations. This information has not yet been published (it is currently at the printers), however, it has been funded, staffed, and does reflect current Army policy."

-- Bill Hefner
Member of Congress

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't think it's that important. Don't get me wrong I think the alleged existance of these camps is noteworthy, but the reliability of the reports pertaining to these camps is questionable. I myself have visited my local one and the report about it was far more than an exaggeration... it contained flat out lies. There was no camp.

If any further reporting about these camps is done I would like to see it come from reliable sources. The OP article is obviously biased and can not be relied upon.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Reliable sources:

THE GUARDIAN

It is all a long way from Mr Smiley's New Orleans home. Mr Smiley is one of 558 evacuees who swapped the swampy lowlands of Louisiana for a national guard training camp set in the high plains and towering mountains of Utah.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE

Former New Orleans residents experience `culture shock' in the open terrain of Mormon country

THE SENATE SITE: UTAH SENATE MAJORITY

Tonight my wife, Karen, and I were invited to meet with Katrina Evacuees from New Orleans, temporarily housed at Camp Williams.

ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Asked whether he would relocate permanently to Utah after being brought here as a Hurricane Katrina refugee, Larry Andrew on Friday rattled off a series of questions on the issue of race.

"How do the adults really feel about us moving in?" he asked at Camp Williams, a military base 21 miles south of Salt Lake City housing about 400 refugees from last week's disaster. "What if I find a Caucasian girl and decide to date her?

Still, some refugees, especially younger adults, say they are ready to make a new start in the region even though they did not know they were coming until the doors shut on the airplane evacuating them from New Orleans.

Separate schools for Katrina students?

...Utah officials sought permission to begin educating about 90 evacuated students at Camp Williams, a National Guard base south of Salt Lake City. "We needed to keep those children as close to their parents as possible," said Pamela Atkinson, a community advocate who was asked by Utah's governor to help coordinate the program. The program is now winding down, she added, since there are only 20 students left on the base. "We said right from the beginning that Camp Williams was only temporary."

IMO - the big question is, "Do we want to approve old news on ATSNN? Or wait for current coverage?"

As I said previously - I do think the topic is important. But the dating is a problem imo.

Can't find current coverage on Google though. Does that mean the Katrina refugees are forgotten? Should they be?

...Does ATS have a role to play here? ...in focusing attention? ...Or are we just passive followers, regurgitating headline news written from press releases?

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If we do have a role it should be to expose the truth about what goes on at these bases/camps. Are people really herded into fenced in fields surrounded by guards armed to the teeth ready to put a bullet in the head of anyone who gets out of line? Or are they staying in presidential suites where their every desire is catered to as they rest up in total luxury? Somewhere in the middle, right?

My experience is detailed in the thread U.S. Concentration Camps as are others, and it seems to be a consistent theme that the reports about these camps are insanely exaggerated or they simply don't exist.

The issue of Katrina victims being housed at these camps is no big deal IMO. They have to go somewhere, and most of them are so used to living off the state teet that they choose to remain that way. To my knowledge, noone is being held against their will.

>
Oh, and yes... I agree that articles this out of date don't belong here.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by apc]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

The issue of Katrina victims being housed at these camps is no big deal IMO. They have to go somewhere, and most of them are so used to living off the state teet that they choose to remain that way. To my knowledge, noone is being held against their will.

Well. that settles that then.

And no doubt the same argument will fly when Americans are incarcerated during pandemics. If they can't afford private medical care, they deserve whatever they get.

Thank you for the preview, apc.

Sincerely,
sofi

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don't follow... my understanding is the majority of the remaining victims under federal housing are/were welfare recipients. So big surprise that they don't get to work on their own personal recovery effort when their bills are still being paid for them.

Yeah... I'm one of those "It's their own damn fault for leeching off the Government" people.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Yeah... I'm one of those "It's their own damn fault for leeching off the Government" people.

You consider corporate leeching to be acceptable, though?

(Just guessing here.)

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Nope. But I don't see CEOs complaining about why things aren't being handed to them... well, except handcuffs.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

... I don't see CEOs complaining about why things aren't being handed to them...

That's cuz they're just rakin' it in!

With lots of help from this administration. So - nothing to complain about right now.

BUT - when things don't go their way, they scream and shout. Usually demanding a "level playing field" - which translated, means 'handicap,' or an 'edge' over the competition, ie., tax cuts, breaks, and funding.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by theutahbigfoothunter

I'm Not sure why all these "Concentration" camps are being used. Although this Location is creepy, There are worse! I will shortly post news of the new "Camp" that is pretending to be a waste management facility. Of the non-human type of course!

[edit on 2-1-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

The "concentraion camp" being mentioned in this article is Camp Williams of the Utah National Guard. It is not some camp that was specifically built to house Katrina victims ... rather it was a place they found to put some of the hundreds of thousands of displaced people who needed assistance. There are barbed wire fences because that's what is typically put up around military bases.

If there were armed guards and what not it may have something to do with making sure people don't go wandering off onto the wrong parts of the base. This is a large training base for the army and the national guard and who knows how much unexploded ordinance is laying around in some of the areas ... but I suppose it they didn't protect those areas and someone got killed then that would've been the crime instead.

Info on Camp Williams:

Camp Williams is a National Guard Training Site operated by the Utah Army National Guard. It is located 26 miles south of Salt Lake City. It consists of 28,000 acres of training areas and has a billeting capacity of 2,800 troops. The main training site for the UTNG, including artillery, engineers, academies & other units. Adjacent to large metropolitan areas -- Salt Lake City & Provo -- the area consists of semi-desert and sage steppe.

Training facilities include small arms weapons firing ranges, artillery firing points and maneuver areas. There are also many types of training available in the surrounding areas. This includes specialized winter, desert, mountain, and amphibious training. Most of this training can be conducted within a 50-mile radius.

Support facilities include administration buildings, mess halls (fully equipped if desired), classrooms, and a complex of warehouses, workshops, and maintenance facilities. Morale and welfare operations include a Noncommissioned Officers Club, Officers Club, Camp Cafe, barber shop, weight training room, volleyball courts, baseball field, medical clinic, mail services, VCR and television rental, swimming pools and laundry facilities and an AAFES post exchange.

Camp Williams is also home to the 140th Regimental Regional Training Institute.

Camp Williams. Riverton, UT

Personally I like seeing the government use, if possible, their existing infrastructure to house people. To me it makes better sense than renting a cruise ship and paying published rates for every room on board to house people.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
In fact the Camp that has most of us worried locally isn't even considered a camp. Officially it is called the Bay View Landfill, however this "Landfill" has HUGE fences all the way around it with razor wire pointing"inward"? Not only that there are massive earthburms a minimumor 20' feet encompassing many areas. I don't want to sound drastic, but there are also multiple complexes in the facility and cameras around them.
A friend of ours was going to fly low over the landfill in his plane for a better view but found it just as easy to see what was going on from google earth. Not only that but others have been chased away from the area and he was a little worried. Now this "landfill" may be just that, however doubtful as it may seem. But I know a lot of people who disagree. Some here locally tried to follow a paper trail to find out just who owned the area with no luck. Not only that but nobody can just go and look at it because there is so much high security.

Here is the city newsletter claiming it is just a landfill, I found this very believable and wonder if my friends are "dreaming"

BUT.....

Here is the google earth image

i151.photobucket.com...

Notice how the road leading to it just ends and then the entire area is blocked out. Mind you the blocking continues down to the south and then over to the east, but this may just be to make things look unifor. I don't know. It is interesting however that the entire complex is blocked out. I'm not sure what to think about it.

To add to the secrecy, I have seen 2 individuals pictures they snapped from a distant hill of the area and it did look very secutre. Not only secure, but there were what appeared to be posts equadistant to one another. It's too bad I don't have those pics or I would post them.

Now although this is not Camp Williams I think it just goes to show that since the concentration camps used to house the Japanese immigrants and citizens of this country after Pearl Harbor (which was located here in Utah), there have been other "projects" at work here. That is undeniable. To what extent is my great wonder.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Ok does anyone remember what happened in the colliseum right in front of the armed national guards? It was horrible, rape and defecation, all manner of disappropriate behavior. They were under orders to not shoot the twisted bastards or the # that happened may not have. I feel very sorry for the victims of Katrina and did my civic best to rally support for the needy, but lets face it, when the SHTF there will be dozens of these camps set up all over the country for people that did not take head the message of Katrina. I more than believe it will happen and I for one have gone onto sites like httpwww.areyouready.com to see what they suggest to keep me and my family from ending up in one of those camps in the likelyhood of a natural or terroist attack. On the other hand I have bible thumping relatives that believe God will provide, and they think I am a horder and worse because I advocate preparation and information networking to keep a heads up on the possibilities that might be coming down the pike.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Http//www.ready.gov I hope that works better.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
When I was a youth in the Girl Scouts.....we would spend a weel every year at camp Williams.
We Girl Scouts had a romping good time there doing archery and skeet shooting, making pottery and puppets.
At night we would play 'steal the flag'

Ya sure ok there is barbed wire all around it but I will always hold fond memories of Camp Williams National Guard Camp.

After Katrina a whole bunch of the New Orleans refugees made Utah home.
(no hurracaines in Utah.....EVER)

apc

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by theutahbigfoothunter
Notice how the road leading to it just ends and then the entire area is blocked out. Mind you the blocking continues down to the south and then over to the east, but this may just be to make things look unifor. I don't know. It is interesting however that the entire complex is blocked out. I'm not sure what to think about it.

Could you clarify? I pulled up the South Utah Valley Solid Waste District and I don't see anything blocked out. The areas to the South and West were imaged at a different time of day at a slightly lower resolution (outside the city is lower priority), if that's what you're talking about.

Could you provide exact long/lat coordinates of the specific fenced in area you're talking about?

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I have some information, at least on the bayview/springville facility. Through the hard work of a friend of mine who actually went and watched the facility for a while. He said he had verified that it is in fact an operating solid waste facility. He just thinks it has been slightly modified so it could become a detention facility in the case of an emergency of some sort.

He saw multiple trucks going in and out of the facility with loads of what he presumed where waste. What he says was the most interesting still, is the security at the location. But at least we know it is an operating waste facility and not just a front, however modified it may be.

Anyway, I will still try to find the exact coordinates.

top topics

join