It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Say They Can Prevent Homosexuality in Sheep - Are Humans Next?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I don't interpret it to mean in a sexual way, my point is that Jesus
taught to love everyone, not hate them, I really don't think he meant
it in a sexual way.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. My bad.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
There are people out there who are gay and want to change but find it extremely difficult. I'm all for research that would help these individuals out but mark my words, compulsory treatment is the very definition of tyranny.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
why should we breed out violence? with out violence and the will to fight what point is there to life, make people more intelligent and that will solve the problem of people not being able to control there violence?ANy one ever see Serenity?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
well, they usually say "Do you honestly think we wanted to be like this?" It will save people a lot of grief all around, dont you think?

I wouldn't mind a much less violent society either.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
*IF* the findings of the scientists are true, and they are applicable to humans, then we are left with some interesting conclusions.

IF homosexuality is genetic, it should have long ago been bred out of the human species. I don't have the hard stats, but I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that homosexual people reproduce at a much lower rate than heterosexual people. According to Darwin, the "most fit" species live on to reproduce. So, we are left with an interesting dichotomy. If homosexuality is genetic, Darwin is wrong. Pick one, but they both can't be right.

If homosexuality is caused by "chemical imbalances" (for lack of a better phrase) in the brain, it is a biological dysfunction, in that it is not "normal" (again from an evolutionary point of view) for people to be homosexual.

Either way, we have homosexuality being at odds with evolution. If we go the Creation route, well, we know what the major religions have to say about t, so no since repeating it here.

The only theories that make sense is for homosexuality to come from conditions in the womb (and hence why there would be homosexuality in every generation), or to come from sociological conditions. Or some factor of both. (e.g., conditions while gestating make for more conducive acceptance for homosexuality, which then requires certain social conditioning.)

An interesting thing to look for is the homosexual communities reaction to the development of a "cure". Are they going to say "Thank God! Now, those people that don't want to be homosexual can finally, with permanence, make the change", or are they going to say (as the bible implies they will) "There is nothing wrong with you. No one should have to change. Society should just accept us the way we are"

Interesting times, indeed.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
According to Darwin, the "most fit" species live on to reproduce. So, we are left with an interesting dichotomy. If homosexuality is genetic, Darwin is wrong. Pick one, but they both can't be right.

Not necessarily.

For example, we know that schizophrenia has a big genetic component. But schizophrenics don't do so well in the reproduction stakes. A similar case for the genes underpinning sicke-cell diseases. But these conditions persist in the population.

So, what this might suggest is that, like sickle-cell, having some of the genes underpinning these conditions might actually be beneficial for reproductive fitness, but having too many can lead to more detrimental effects.

This is a current idea for schizophrenia. It appears to be common to all human populations, but milder forms might actually enhance reproductive fitness. Thus, artists and other 'creative' types tend to do well in the making babies stakes, they also tend to show high levels of schizotypy - which appears to be genetically related to schizophrenia.

However, for homosexuality, what you suggested about it being a developmental issue could be the case. There is also the tentative finding that homosexuality is related to birth order, so this might aid reproductive fitness of related genes through more indirect means (e.g., kin selection).

So, many possibilities, indeed, they could all play a part.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Lets call a spade a spade, EUGENICS it was a bad idea the first time and its just plain wrong now .

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

I starred and flagged! However, for me personally- I say wake me up once this procedure has been effectively proven when a creature and/or human is placed in a same sex environment.

This will not work on me because I am not a sheep!

Edited cause I forgot the flag!

[edit on 29-3-2008 by dk3000]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

www.timesonline.co.uk...

SCIENTISTS are conducting experiments to change the sexuality of “gay” sheep in a programme that critics fear could pave the way for breeding out homosexuality in humans.

The technique being developed by American researchers adjusts the hormonal balance in the brains of homosexual rams so that they are more inclined to mate with ewes.

It raises the prospect that pregnant women could one day be offered a treatment to reduce or eliminate the chance that their offspring will be homosexual. Experts say that, in theory, the “straightening” procedure on humans could be as simple as a hormone supplement for mothers-to-be, worn on the skin like an anti-smoking nicotine patch.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by WyrdeOne]

This is rediculous, you can't 'cure' love, homosexuality goes much deeper than just 'sex'.

I don't think homosexuals will take to kind to this news.

[edit on 3/29/2008 by Uniceft17]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If it wasn't for social stigma wouldn't the most desireable sexual orientation be bisexuality?

A homosexual can only enjoy sex with people of the same sex.
A heterosexual can only enjoy sex with people of the opposite sex.
A bisexual can only enjoy sex with either sex.

Why would a person want to lack an ability? I think at first many parents will make sure they have heterosexual kids, but as social stigma continues to die down you'll start seeing adults taking gene therapies to make themselves bisexual. In the end genetic engineering will lead to a society where the vast majority is bisexual.

<< 5  6  7   >>

join