It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a future without religion?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

There is no need to restrict belief, just to make organised religion obsolete.

and that is what people don't realize about atheists
just this past week i visited a church (yes, i do this from time to time out curiosity) and the preacher was speaking about how the "atheists and secularists" want to restrict belief and religous freedoms

i guess people just don't get atheism

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
Remarkably enough, my beliefs are much more suited to the label 'atheist' than they are to the label 'christian' (often times the issue is polarized between the two).

Well, I noticed a few of the things you said about your affiliation and it sounds a pretty open style of faith. If it is the sort of congregation where people of various styles can come together, it's sounds like a good thing, without the dogma and absolutionism that is a characteristic of many others. I know a few people who follow something similar to you, I like their style and the idea of 'spiritual anarchy'.

I'll leave you with this: Why do we need all religions to go away in the first place?

We have too many self-made divisions already. But I can never see a day that no religions exist, in fact, we see some evolution already with the new-age styles of belief.

May we all have great journeys regardless of our beliefs -
WWN

Most definitely

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
and that is what people don't realize about atheists
just this past week i visited a church (yes, i do this from time to time out curiosity) and the preacher was speaking about how the "atheists and secularists" want to restrict belief and religous freedoms

Aye, think it's the persecution complex, fear can be used to good effect. We might not put high value on faiths, but legislating to restrict belief is just stupid.

Anyway, atheists couldn't restrict anything in the US even if they wanted to.

[edit on 27-1-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
alright, so

i'm trying to see the pros and cons of a world without religion
and, i don't really see as many cons as i see pros

so, world without religion
good or bad
why?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   

and esoteric, you're assuming that god exists
you cannot prove that said being exists

It is easy. There are no words for non-existent things. If there is a word, it is there to define and clarify what is.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

i'm trying to see the pros and cons of a world without religion
and, i don't really see as many cons as i see pros

Religion as an institution can be viewed many ways, but, the faith within ones person can not be measured by scientists. The belief in God with a sincere heart and a true faith will circumvent the desire to kill their abusers and become like the rest of the crazies in this mad, mad world. There are people who live on the edge and are not tip toeing through the tulips. If they want to get rid of religion they should get rid of the control freaks, the perverts, the murders, the robbers, and all the other injustices first.

Furthermore, if they can not rid the streets of crime, gangs and drugs or find a lost child with all the technology that they have then the scientist need to visit their own peer physchiatrist.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Siren]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siren
It is easy. There are no words for non-existent things. If there is a word, it is there to define and clarify what is.

tooth fairy
flying spaghetti monster
gity-gud (that one i just made up)
all 3 do not exist
all 3 have words to describe them

Originally posted by Siren
...if they can not rid the streets of crime, gangs and drugs or find a lost child with all the technology that they have then the scientist need to visit their own peer physchiatrist.

but your point is moot because we see that faith doesn't necassarily lead people to be good
case and point with ted haggard, devout christian and adulterer

atheism isn't about having technology and science deal with anything
it's about having PEOPLE deal with the problems
personal responsibility and whatnot

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join