It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a future without religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
that's what 150 leading scientists and intellectuals see the future as lacking
and war, they see less war

in the next few decades, they see both of those things disapearing

here's the scoop

discuss

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

in the next few decades, they see both of those things disapearing

here's the scoop

discuss

War would not exist without weapons. Did the Pope create weapons? I think not. Scientists did.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Stupid Scientists! A Sentence from the sight link: "It will smash protons together to help scientists understand what makes up the most fundamental bits of the universe."

Seriously? These "leading scientists" are still trying to figure out how nature's lego system works. They don't comprehend the fundamentals of the universe and what it is made of, yet they are certain the universe is Godless?

God verses 150 scientists? I wager everything that god wins!

Philosopher Daniel Denett believes that within 25 years religion will command little of the awe it seems to instil today. The spread of information through the internet and mobile phones will "gently, irresistibly, undermine the mindsets requisite for religious fanaticism and intolerance".

Biologist Richard Dawkins said that physicists would give religion another problem: a theory of everything that would complete Albert Einstein's dream of unifying the fundamental laws of physics. "This final scientific enlightenment will deal an overdue death blow to religion and other juvenile superstitions."

Part of that final theory will be formulated by scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider, a particle accelerator at Cern in Geneva, which is to be switched on this year. It will smash protons together to help scientists understand what makes up the most fundamental bits of the universe.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
War would not exist without weapons. Did the Pope create weapons? I think not. Scientists did.

so the first guy to club another guy with a stick is labeled as a scientist?
interesting

i thought weapons were simply tools adapted for a different purpse

the axe, great for chopping wood AND cleaving heads
the sword, a really really big knife
the knife, the same tool you use to cut various food substances

etc

war needs motivation
and history has shown that religion has been one of the most popular reasons to go to war

and esoteric, you're assuming that god exists
you cannot prove that said being exists

[edit on 1/1/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

and esoteric, you're assuming that god exists
you cannot prove that said being exists

Nor does God require me to prove God exists. Therefore, i do not need to prove that God exists.

Having said that, i would like to say:

God Exists

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

We have conferences all the time, all he has to do is show up and strike us down.

I reckon it'll be a no-show as usual...

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Scientists, like so many engineering types, assume that religion exists to "explain things."

For liberal arts types, religion is about larger meanings. They are not interested in a "god of the gaps" who will fill in the current holes in our understanding of reality.

Religion is a quest for meaning, and belonging. Humans are not about to extinguish either desire.

Not hardly.

It's hilarious that they talk about Einstein's unified theory. Scientific American recently reprinted 100-year-old articles from its archives about how scientists were "just about" to solve everything by quantifying the ether.

Then Michelson-Morely and Einstein's eclipse observations blew that pompous hubris to pieces.

Sounds like we may be getting close to the next michelson-morely style experiment, or the next Einstein's contribution to knowledge.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
creepy, akashic-holographic double post removed by a frightened dr_s.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

We have conferences all the time, all he has to do is show up and strike us down.

Done and done. If only they were conscious enough to notice ....

I reckon it'll be a no-show as usual...

What basis for reference would they have for comparison?

Were they born knowing God exists, and then later came to understand how they are truly atheists and God does not exist?

I doubt it. Yet, atheists will argue their points relentlessly, having never made one observation througout their entire existance knowing that God is. All experience they have accumilated is from the perspective there is no God, therefore how would they recognize or acknowledge God, without any basis for comparison, or reference?

Atheism is a birthright. Find me someone who claims that they knew God existed when they were born.

While those of faith have experience and knowledge from both sides of the fence, athiests do not have the liberty of saying the same. They were born without knowing God exists for sure, and have chosen not to believe otherwise because they have not witnessed enough to tell them otherwise. Yet, the internal workings of a mind that is DEPENDANT upon learning only through association of what is already known started from their first truth, the instinct to be selfish before anything and everything else. People of faith arrogantly claim to know otherwise. I say "arrogantly" because this is how it is perceived by atheists. Why is it percieved by atheists this way? They judge other peoples actions and behaviors against the only thing they have to compare to, what they know about their own self. So, if people of faith are interpretted as arrogant, perhaps they are interpretted that way due to the fact the interpretter has no other basis for comparison, other than a mind enslaved by the instinct of "SELF PRE - SERVE". Perhaps if scientists cellular commands were something other than "I AM SELFISH BEFORE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING" the total sum of all those cells would not add up to make a total macro-organism that has learned by attaching new information that is only compatible with "I AM SELFISH BEFORE I SERVE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING" aka "self pre-serve".

If an atheist had observed their environment and reality KNOWING that there is a God just once, the logic elludes me as to how they could be convinced otherwise.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
A future without religion? HA! Won't happen in my lifetime. Perhaps in a million years, maybe. That is if our brain keeps evolving and becoming more and more advanced. Most likely we'll destroy ourselves due to some religious grievance, territorial pissing match, or whatever else floats your boat. We are such a stupid and arrogant species it's amazing we made it out of the 20th century intact.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Done and done. If only they were conscious enough to notice ....

To notice what? I ain't seen any plagues affecting conferences in recent experience.

What basis for reference would they have for comparison?

Were they born knowing God exists, and then later came to understand how they are truly atheists and God does not exist?

I doubt it. Yet, atheists will argue their points relentlessly, having never made one observation througout their entire existance knowing that God is. All experience they have accumilated is from the perspective there is no God, therefore how would they recognize or acknowledge God, without any basis for comparison, or reference?

Atheism is a birthright. Find me someone who claims that they knew God existed when they were born.

Of course, we are all atheists at birth until some are indoctrinated. Find me someone who consciously knew anything when they were born.

While those of faith have experience and knowledge from both sides of the fence, athiests do not have the liberty of saying the same. They were born without knowing God exists for sure, and have chosen not to believe otherwise because they have not witnessed enough to tell them otherwise. Yet, the internal workings of a mind that is DEPENDANT upon learning only through association of what is already known started from their first truth, the instinct to be selfish before anything and everything else. People of faith arrogantly claim to know otherwise.

If an atheist had observed their environment and reality KNOWING that there is a God just once, the logic elludes me as to how they could be convinced otherwise.

Many atheists were theists at one point. I also doubt that all theists have been true willing atheists, most kids are well-schooled in their parents faith as infants and all through childhood. Children will believe anything, hence the major focus on home-schooling and indoctrination into faith. The fact most (not all of course) have the same faith as their parents shows how this all works.

If only religions had the courage to allow children free-thought until adulthood without coercive indoctrination....

[edit on 2-1-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Religion is a quest for meaning, and belonging. Humans are not about to extinguish either desire.

I rather think that religion is an ANSWER that many choose in their quest for meaning and belonging. Non-religious people and atheists still have desires and quests for meaning and belonging.
They just don't turn to religion and deity for the answers. They turn within, where voila! All the answers have always been!

To the OP. I do think a future without religion would be a future without war. Or drastically reduced war. The mindset of one group getting others to follow their beliefs, whether religious or otherwise, is ALWAYS the impetus for war. And most war, when broken down to the basics (including the current one) is about religion.

Must this thread also devolve into a debate about whether or not God exists?
Or can we talk about the religion/war connection?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I rather think that religion is an ANSWER that many choose in their quest for meaning and belonging. Non-religious people and atheists still have desires and quests for meaning and belonging.
They just don't turn to religion and deity for the answers. They turn within, where voila! All the answers have always been!

I didn't say religion was the ONLY quest for meaning. . . . but yeah, you got there, too.

And most war, when broken down to the basics (including the current one) is about religion.

Is it? I could just as easily say that war means fighting people who are "different" from you. And religion is merely one way that cultures can differ.

The Soviet Union went a long way toward eradicating religion as a force in public life, without noticebly lessening their entanglement in wars.

The cold war was not about religion, neither was world war I or II. They were about economic differences and . . . control.

Perhaps it's even more accurate to say that wars are fought for control, and religion is merely one dimension in which people seek to control each other. . .

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Perhaps it's even more accurate to say that wars are fought for control, and religion is merely one dimension in which people seek to control each other.

More accurate, indeed. You're right.

It's more about control than anything.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a future without religion wouldn't necassarily lead to no war
i know that
there will still be resource wars, like saddam's invasion of kuwait
and the USA's recent invasion of iraq

on the soviet union, that was extreme nationalism
political dogmatism to almost a nazi-germany level
it seemed to fill the vacuum of a forced removal of religion

i think if religion gradually erodes away, the vacuum will be filled by more pure philosophy and science

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
No, nobody will ever get rid of God. This world is so faithless. I have seen so many miracles I cant even count, 2000 years of miracles in the church of God which science cannot disprove or explain, Christ raising souls fromthe dead.

We are faithless people who will never get rid of God.

One poster made a good point about a baby, that nobody teaches them how to smile, they are born with it. Likewise when a baby loves its mother and father, nobody teaches it how to love.

God is taught to children because some people actually have faith. You souls somehow think that the parents (indoctrinating) are faithless people. You have no clue what faith is, and through faith you see his works, you realize childesh things like

Tastebuds. I always use this example because its simple, evoltuion cannot creat (joy) or hapiness or why would it care to make a whole different kinds of taste. How can evolution dothis good?

it can't

The miracles ive seen you have not seen, and I wish you would believe because God is truly the only one that cares for you.

Trust me, ive felt his grace and fealings of love so deeply that you wont understand how much he cares for you until the judgement seat, he wants you to love him.

(religion) have saved my life from selfishness. without knowing of God I was a child who would through things at my parents, I was reckless, selfish, disobedient, LAZY, just horrible.

So the next question is.

How do we learn how to be good?

All goodness we have we were taught by God, or our religious parents by the teachings of love thy neighbor and God.

Yet when atheist and arrogant people reject God and an idea of him, they place those things which they have learned to themselves, then they are puffed with pride.

this can lead to make judgements on God, believeing they are superior and completely be filled with pride.

We are not good without him, you athiest would be just like I was when I was younger without being taught what decency is.

This world we live in. You know the attitude of the world, the God fearing people along with the athiest is love.

Its only from God. If my parents would not of taught me about God, I would be and evil selfish person as I was before I learned about him, not completely evil but I had few graces at all.

" control the masses "

No faith at all. you do not have a clue that the love of God and goodness keeps this planet going.

Hypocrites are the souls which brand religion with an evilface.

Realize that hypocrites are against God. If you saw a planet obeying the true teachings of Christ the Lord, this planet wouldnt need jails or any police.

Nobody has understanding.

Thats why Christ said beware of hypocrites, they give God a bad name, and because of this you souls will never know how much God loves you unless you dont want to be loved or dont want God.

Hell will be a place were we will all get our wish, a place without God, and he will finally not exist in your lives and you will regret it forever, and you will realize how much he has loved your soul, and it will be a place without love.

He doesnt want that to happen and neither do I, you are all important to God.

He knows your hearts and your reason for unbelief so I will say no more about it.

peace.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

You have no clue what faith is,
Yet when atheist and arrogant people ... then they are puffed with pride.
you athiest would be just like I was ... without being taught what decency is.
Hypocrites
Realize that hypocrites are against God.
beware of hypocrites,

Interesting that you are the first person in this thread to get angry, call names and accuse people of arrogance and hypocricy. You actually make a very good case for how religion causes problems between people. We don't believe the same as you so you get mad and start calling names...

Don't hit me, ok?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
You have voted Benevolent Heretic for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

you made jesusistruth's statements very clear by highlighting the slagging

also, JiT, it is impossible to prove that something is a miracle
why?
because to prove it was a miracle you'd have to have 2 things:
1: know everything about how the universe works, humanity has yet to do so, so you could rule out every single possibility
2: have a team of skeptics take a crack at it and actually admit that the only explaination is a miracle

JiT, claiming that god exists is just as arrogant and assertion as god not existing

claiming that your particular religion is correct and that i'll go to hell if i don't follow it, well, that's a lot more arrogant than my assertion that you're simply wasting your time

oh, and tastebuds, that's evolutionary
rancid meat gives a bad response
taste evolved because those without taste would be more likely to eat something that was rotten

[edit on 1/2/07 by madnessinmysoul]

[edit on 1/2/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Bh, I am not mad at you but am upset with the title of the post and the lack of understanding in the world concerning humility.

you got to read the whole post I just posted. You think that religion is a means to control people, and I get upset and say you have no clue what faith is, not in hateful way as I cant express how I want to say stuff on a computer.

Im tired of the world thats so faithless and that people with faith are called insane because of hypocrites, that is hypocrites of religion.

I also said that I care for your souls and I want you to atleast try and understand and love God.

which is up to you.

peace.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Im tired of the world thats so faithless and that people with faith are called insane because of hypocrites, that is hypocrites of religion.

The world is far from faithless. In fact the majority of the world follow some sort of religion.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join