It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: Buck O'Neil, 94, to play in minor league all-star game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted on ESPN.com

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- John Jordan "Buck" O'Neil never got a free pass in life.

The grandson of a man brought to this continent as a slave, O'Neil moved to Kansas City to avoid racial persecution in the Deep South and played baseball during an era of segregation.

It figures that on Tuesday night, when the 94-year-old steps into the batter's box during a minor league all-star game, nobody will quibble over an intentional walk.

Except maybe O'Neil.

"I just might take a swing at one," he said before Tuesday night's Northern League event.

The Kansas City T-Bones signed O'Neil to a one-day contract, likely making him the oldest professional baseball player. He would surpass 83-year-old Jim Eriotes, who struck out in a minor league game in South Dakota earlier this month, by more than a decade.

"I imagine the bat's a little heavier than that club I've been swinging," said O'Neil, who maintains he can still shoot his age in golf. "It's been a long time since I've picked up a bat."

Link: O'Neil to play in Minor league AS Game

After hearing the other story about the guy playing in a minor league game, I begin to wonder if this is just some copy-cat publicity stunt. Also, isn't Jose Conseco supposed to start in one of the Minor League All-Star Games? I'd like to see that match-up... Conseco pitching against the Old man... Even better to see the Man Get a round-tripper off him.

[Edited on 7/18/2006 by GiantsFan]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Let's see, what does this say about the athletic ability needed to play baseball...

***ducks preemptively from BHN's verbal assault***

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Old man walked twice in his two plate appearances. In the short video clip it was obvious that had he really intended to swing the bat, he wouldn't have completed that swing until after the catcher had already thrown the ball back to the pitcher.

After hearing the whole story of how he was put into today's All-Star game, I see it wasn't a publicity stunt... but someting that was honoring him as a player.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Now, if they'd wanted to have some REAL excitement? They should have put in John Rocker to pitch, and had him buzz O'Neill... with the understanding that the ensuing race-riot/brawl was to be confined to the outfield, and that nobody was to come within a mile of O'Neill.

Rocker would have gotten what he so richly deserves, all the P.C. folks would have gotten to wring their hands for the next 5 years, Bud Selig would get to look like an imbecile for the 1,000,000,000th time, and the whole thing would have been funny as hell.

You see, Gibbs? I have a (twisted) sense of humor.

BHN

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan

After hearing the other story about the guy playing in a minor league game, I begin to wonder if this is just some copy-cat publicity stunt. Also, isn't Jose Conseco supposed to start in one of the Minor League All-Star Games? I'd like to see that match-up... Conseco pitching against the Old man... Even better to see the Man Get a round-tripper off him.

[Edited on 7/18/2006 by GiantsFan]

there is some hostility between the KC T-Bones, and Sioux Falls Canaries so this may be a one upsmanship on their part. Until this year the SF Canaries were in the Northern league (an idependent league not affiliated with MLB) but they didn't like how it was being run so the left and took the Lincoln, NE Saltdogs, the Saint Paul Saints, the Sioux City Explorers, and started a team in St. Joseph, MO. after they took the teams they started their own league and got 5 teams from Florida and Texas, and Shreveport. The northern league sued them to prevent their departure but failed. So to me this is trying to stick it to the old Northern league teams and say nanana.

top topics

join