It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Man, 83, is oldest pro baseball player

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Father time may have met his match. Or is this one of BaseballHistoryNut's friends from the old days? Only time will tell...
We salute this guy, and I for one hope that I have the cajones to do this sort of feat if I ever make it to the age of 83!

Yahoo! Sports Story Link

No one in the bleachers at the Sioux Falls Canaries game was quite sure what was going on down on the field. They were all quiet, wondering and transfixed on the little old man digging into the batters' box.

The infielders moved up on the grass, giggling, and pitcher looked as uncomfortable as anyone else would have felt.

But to 83-year-old Jim Eriotes, it was serious business.

Eriotes led off Tuesday's game for the Canaries against the St. Joe (Mo.) Blacksnakes and took four big swings — even fouling a pitch off — before striking out.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Unbelievable.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
After further review, it turns out that this guy is Julio Franco's son.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's amazing what you can do if you're focussed, see Jack Lalanne

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Hey i was at this game, i live just outside of Sioux Falls. He had one halfway decent swing that he fouled back to the screen, otherwise he just didn't have the bat speed to connect with the pitch. the pitcher was throwing in the mid 80's. The Canaries won the game, by the way.

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
What's worse, that or Gordie Howe playing a shift in minor league hockey when in his 70's?

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdstheBest
What's worse, that or Gordie Howe playing a shift in minor league hockey when in his 70's?

Gordie. Hockey is a bit more of a contact sport, me thinks...

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Can you just imagine the brawl if the opposing pitcher had come inside with a fastball?

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
Can you just imagine the brawl if the opposing pitcher had come inside with a fastball?

that would have been exciting, unfortunately the Sioux Falls Canaries are almost completely void of talent. It would have brought a little life to the team and maybe got them to not suck all the time. even though they suck they are still my favorite though.

top topics

join