It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: COLLEGE: Coaches to urge NCAA to expand tourney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The NCAA is once again pondering the possibility of expanding the championship tournament beyond the current 65 team format. A major push fo rthis consideration has come from the ranks of cllegiate coaches, whose jobs often depend upon visits to post-season touraments (of which there may soon be only one)

Yahoo! Sports Story Link

In a perfect world, college basketball coaches would nearly double the size of the 65-team NCAA men's tournament field. Realistically, they'd accept a smaller victory.

Motivated in part by George Mason's remarkable Final Four run last season, coaches will urge the NCAA to expand its most lucrative championship event during the men's and women's basketball committee meetings in Orlando, Fla., this week.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Me, I'm all for the expansion, why not involve every team in the post-season? If they don't belong there, they will very shortly find this out...

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I think I'm in favor of this. If the field is doubled, there will be more blowouts in the first round, but the upsets will be even wilder than they are now. Since the tourney expanded to 64 teams back in the 1980's, either a #12 or a #13 seed has won a first round game every year since. With 128 teams , think of the insane matchups. We may see some #25 seeds beating #8 seeds. They could have six straight days of games as the field is trimmed down to the Sweet Sixteen.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I would bring new meaning to "March Madness", wouldn't it?

More than likely, though, it will not happen this year, but maybe expand by 3-7 teams in a couple years. Not enough, though. There are plenty of teams that could have competed this post season.

top topics

join