It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: Baseball: Rocket returns to Astro's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
For the third time in his career, Roger "The Rocket" Clemens has come out of retirement, to sign a $22 Million deal with the Astros. The 43 year-old will be entering his 23rd season and will begin his season with a June 6th Minor League start for Class A Lexington.

Originally posted on ESPN.com

HOUSTON -- Roger Clemens is coming out of retirement for the third time, agreeing to a contract to pitch for the Houston Astros for the rest of 2006.

The 43-year-old Clemens, who will be entering his 23rd major league season, is agreeing first to a minor league contract that pays $322,000 over the five-month minor league season, and his first start is likely to be June 6 at Lexington, Ky., the Class A team where his oldest son, Koby, plays.

If all goes well, his second minor league start would be June 11 at Double-A Corpus Christi, Texas, followed by a start June 16 at Triple-A Round Rock, Texas.

Clemens announced his return Wednesday at a news conference.

"The ball's in my court now," he said. "This was a difficult decision on my part in a number of situations. I have to now take the next step and get my body ready to come back, get effective, win games."

When he is added to the major league roster, he'll get a one-year, $22 million contract -- actually, the contract would be worth $22,000,022 (Clemens' uniform number is 22). But because he won't be playing the full season, he'll receive a prorated percentage of that, which would come to about $12.25 million if he rejoins Houston in late June. The tentative goal is to have him start against the Minnesota Twins on June 22; if he's put on the big league roster that day, he would earn $12,632,307.

Link: Rocket Rejoins Astro's

Iwonder if this is a good move. We know what the Rocket can do, but can he copy what he did last year, and how effective can he be after he last pitched in two games for the US in the WBC? As long as his return doesn't effect the Braves' WS hopes, I'm fine with his return.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
13 million is absolutly ridiculous for this time of year. I don't care who you are.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I thought the same about the 18 million he made last year. But hey, I guess if the Astro's are willing to pay it, then let the guy have it.

Also, I noticed you registered in 2003, as did I. yet I've NEVER seen you on here
. Makin a comeback?

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
I thought the same about the 18 million he made last year. But hey, I guess if the Astro's are willing to pay it, then let the guy have it.

Also, I noticed you registered in 2003, as did I. yet I've NEVER seen you on here
. Makin a comeback?

Yeah. I think I was the first ever registered member here other than Ben. In that time, I've only compiled like 25 posts, which would explain why you've never seen me.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yep... the Number 4 member, but seeing as William hasn't even been logged on in ages, and that the 3 guy has no posts, I guess that technically makes you the 2 guy. I was 100 behind ya at 102.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I am a Texas ranger fan and alot of people thought Roger would be a ranger. I knew better. to many reasons for him to be a stro.

And for that money I think the rangers might be better off spreading it around a bit. Don't get me wrong I think Roger still has alot to offer. [not just on the mound.] I would love to have him but that is a lot to pay.
I hope he does well with the astros.

Thanks

top topics

join