It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Serena Williams takes more time off for injury, may miss French Open and

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Serena is still working on getting over that knee injury. The former number one player in the world has been battling the injury since September of last year, and has fallen to 106 in the WTA Tour rankings.

Yahoo Sports Link

"What I can tell you today, based on what I am being told by my doctors, is that I should be in a position to be playing again by the end of this summer," Williams said in a statement released Wednesday by her publicist.

The French Open starts May 29, and Wimbledon begins June 26. The year's final Grand Slam tournament, the U.S. Open, starts Aug. 28.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Serena Williams is done, and probably her sister Venus is done as well. At least Venus seems to stay in shape, but Serena is fat and slow. She has to rely all on power because she has nothing else. Because she is out of shape, she can't recover from injury as quickly as before. It's all that side stuff she does: modeling, acting, designing. Well, it used to be the side stuff, now that's her life. She and Venus had better be careful, though. If they don't perform at even a mediocre level, the sponsors will drop them. That's what happened to Anna Kournikova.

I really think that the Williams sisters just got overconfident. Bank in the first half of the decade, they were dominating women's tennis. But soon some powerful players who were in shape started to emerge: Justine Henin-Hardenne, Kim Clijsters, and Maria Sharapova, to name a few. Suddenly, there was competition, and the Williams sisters simply refused to put in the necessary work. They chose lives of glamor, for now. Unfortunately, it looks like those lives will fizzle out. Without the "day job", the money won't be there to support their hobbies.

join