It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: NFL: Mario Williams signs with texas as top draft pic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The Houston Texans took their first pick early, signing Mario Williams, a Defensive End from North Carolina. Mario signed for 6 years and $54 million. Many had expected that the Texans would take the USC Running Back Reggie Bush.

Originally posted on ESPN.com

The Houston Texans have signed North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams to a six-year, $54 million deal, making him the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft Saturday.

Of the $54 million, Williams is guaranteed $26.5 million.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly had cautioned earlier in the week that anyone concluding the team had decided on Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and was only using Williams as leverage was mistaken.

"This is a decision that took a lot of time to make, but at the end of the day we felt this was the best player for our football team," Casserly said. "Both players, Reggie Bush and Mario Williams, are going to, I think, be great pros. We made the decision to go with defense."

Link: Williams, Texans sign contract

I've never been too big with the NFL draft, I just watch when the Packers are on the clock. So was this a good choice? from what I've heard, there's a split opinion.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I see a lot of complaining by the pundits out there, saying that Bush is a "sure thing", and that this was an obvious blunder.

I say that there is no "sure thing" in the draft, you never know if a guy will be a huge bust in the NFL, or if nagging injuries will shorten a career. I can't say that this was a mistake, unless they already had 4 all-pro defensive linemen, and you could even argue that they were drafting for depth.

IMHO, good move, they are filling a big hole for them.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The first round is such a crapshoot, but I feel that first round running backs usually turn out better than first round defensive linemen. I took a look at the first round for the last five years of the draft. There were more marquee players at RB than at DL. The positions are similar in that a player's performance may look absolutely stunning in college. A running back (like Bush) may look unstoppable, while a defensive end (like Williams) may appear dominant. But in the NFL everyone is fast and everyone is strong. Is Williams the next Reggie White? I doubt it, but he may be worth the pick. However, we may also be the next Courtney Brown.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdstheBest
However, we may also be the next Courtney Brown.

OUCH!

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It looks like the front office in New Orleans wasn't about to wait...

Bush to th eSaints - LINK

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Whoops. That was some typo I made. Of course, I meant that HE (i.e., Mario Williams) may be the next Courtney Brown. I wasn't exactly awake when I posted.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Heck, i read it that way. I was just saying ouch to busting on Brown tha tway. Of cours,e if you look at his career, he does deserve the comment...

top topics

join