It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: NBA: Nash to win second MVP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
According to area newspapers, Steve Nash is going to take his second-consecutive NBA MVP. Nash had career highs in many different categories. He beat out Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Chauncy Billups.

Originally posted on ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- Steve Nash will win his second straight NBA Most Valuable Player award, according to reports on several area newspapers.

The announcement may not come for two weeks, according to the Arizona Republic. But the paper, and others, report that the voting shows Nash edging LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Chauncey Billups and Kobe Bryant for the MVP.

This season, Nash had career-highs in points (18.8 points per game), rebounds (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (51.2 percent) and free throw percentage (92.1 percent -- best in the league). He was also the league-leader in assists (10.5) and shot nearly 50 percent from three-point range.

Link: Reports say Nash wins MVP

I'm not sure whether this was the right voting. yes, nash had a great year, but I think, and many agree with me, that Kobe or LeBron should have won in the voting. The "official" announcement won't be made for about 2 weeks.

[Edited on 4/26/2006 by GiantsFan]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Kobe and Lebron (among othes) put up monster stats this year that gives them major credibility as MVP candidates. I'm not going to go into what I believe determines the MVP, but Nash would definetley be my choice. Im partial to dominant point guards, and Nash has led Phoenix to an excellent year despite that fact they were missing Amare for the majority of season. Amare was an MVP candidate in his own right last year, and its amazing what the Suns have been able to accomplish without him. Plus I'd rather not have Kobe win because his style of play is ruining the NBA (IMO) and he shouldn't be the benchmark of a great player, despite his dominance. Lebron will have his time, guaranteed.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Do you guys think that Nash has elevated his level of play sinc ehe left Dallas, or has it been a change of system that has pushed him?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think it is both. The truly great players continue to improve over their NBA careers. Bird, Magic, MJ, Karl Malone, Barkley, Stockton, Olajuwon--they all improved at least one aspect of their games over the years. But while Nash has improved (especially on offense), I think it is the Phoenix system that really allows him to shine. It's kind of like the Lakers in the early 80's. For the first four years of the decade Magic Johnson split the point guard duties with Norm Nixon. Magic's stats were good, but nothing like they would be once Nixon was gone and he could run Showtime. Nash has found his niche.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
It might be interesting to note that Nash was a former soccer player. He is able to navigate the court in a way that differentiates him from other point guards and thrives under the Phoenix fast paced style. Granted his defense isn't excellent.

[Edited on 4/26/06 by Kwyjibo]

new topics

top topics

join