It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: QB Harrington seeking trade to Miami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Miami has turned into the new destination of choice for disgruntled NFL stars. I think that they will very shortly return to the prominence that they once had way back when under coach Shula. Having two quarterbacks in town with starting experience can't posibly be a bad thing.

Story Link

Detroit Lions quarterback Joey Harrington has decided to sign with the Miami Dolphins, his agent said, giving the team a backup to new starter Daunte Culpepper.

With Culpepper facing an uncertain timetable in his recovery from a serious knee injury, Harrington might be Miami's No. 1 quarterback when the season begins.

The Dolphins and Lions are expected to complete a trade soon, sending Harrington to Miami. The Lions decided a month ago not to retain Harrington, a starter during his four seasons in Detroit.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Interesting news, how will Harrington deal with being #2 in the long run? There's precident though, Montana and Young.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Living in detroit and watching harrington play for 3 years heres my opinion.....
He COULD make a decent backup, definitly not starting material. Many people are quick to blame the Lions losing ways just on him alone. The offensive line wasnt very good, they couldnt even help Kevin Jones get to 1000 yards this past year. Most the time Harrington was getting tons of pressure by the time he reached the 3rd step of the 3 step drop, and didnt have time for the routes to develop. The receivers didnt want to work with him. They ran half-a$$ routes, and had tons of drops. The Lions Defense could not hold a lead in the 4th quarter. These reasons all add up to detroits losing so many games. With all that said, I must admit that I think harrington is crap. Crap for a starting qb. In almost every game I've seen him play, he'll make maybe 1 or 2 great passes, then underthrow about 65% of the rest of them. He has the happiest feet i think I have ever seen. He's never showed any kind of consistancy...ever. If Miami O line can give him some time then it might be a different story, But i think he's one of those big time busts, and will feel the same way until he proves me wrong

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
dno117, what, in your opinion, has been the biggest problem with Detroit over the past few seasons, when there has been such hope, and such dissappointment. From an outsiders point of view, I would think it's the O-line, like you mention. Of course, that GM of yours could have drafted another position besides WR lately, too.

(And yes, I know what his alma mater is...)

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Problems in detroit...where do we start???
I think that Mariucci wasnt the right coach for this team. I get the feeling, in general , that the lions arent buying in to the whole 1 team concept. They seem to be a bunch of individuals pointing fingers at others rather then coming together as one unit. Mariucci was soft on the team, which allowed this behavior to continue. There is no real chemistry. I mean you can draft high quality players, and on paper, your team is stacked. But getting them to play together, and play at a high level constantly is another thing. I was very upset when the lions drafted mike williams last year...not that he isnt very talented, but why draft a receiver when there are soooo many other positions that needed help? I feel the offensive line is a problem, no 1000 yard rusher and poor pass protection lies on those guys shoulders. Harrington wasnt a true leader. I really feel that Joey wanted to win and play great, but after his second season, i think he gave up on detroit and was just waiting for his contract to expire. Then again I wasnt sold on joey and feel that isnt starter-quality in the nfl. The defense was injury plagued AGAIN. This has been a major problem for the team. LB's, DB's, D lineman...Usually there are 3 to 4 starters on defenses hurt all the time. And they dont have much depth on defense, so when a starter goes out, its a huge hole. There are so many problems here in detroit. I really liked them signing mccown, but if the line doesnt protect, I dont think he can do much better than joey. The defense feels the offense is at fault, the offense feels the defense is at fault. Its very childish. Last season the lions lost like 4 or 5 games by 6 points or less, usually in the 4th quarter. To me thats the defense not holding on in the end. But in the same token, if the offense goes 3 and out more than 50% of the time, the defense is going to be tired. Now the stories coming out are that Marrinelli isnt really the head coach. Marrinelli is acting more like the defensive coordinator, while Mike Martz seems to be calling more shots and is THE GUY trying to get this team together as one. I think this season is going to be another bust, they will be lucky to pull 6 wins this year. It kind of reminds me of the raiders, a franchise just spinning out of control (and the raiders are my favorite team so it pains me). But the lions pretty much have problems every where you look. And dont be surprised if the lions draft ANOTHER receiver this year.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dno117
And dont be surprised if the lions draft ANOTHER receiver this year.

Doesn't that bother you? That is just insane, IMHO. To me, the biggest problem on the field is the D, and they obviously need depth there, as you pointed out. That's why I say the main problem is in the front office...

top topics

join