It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Team USA lineup chosen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The roster for Team USA's world championship entry and the likely lineup for the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing has been announced. Coach Mike Krzyzewski will have a chance to work with them in July, on their way to the world championshps competition in Japan this August. Let's hope that they have a better showing this time around, having won the bronze in the 2004 Olympics in the last major international competition.

Story Link

Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James and Lamar Odom are among six members of the 2004 Olympic bronze medal team selected by USA Basketball for a possible spot on the world championship and 2008 Beijing Olympic teams.

Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire and Dwyane Wade, members of the 2004 Athens team, also were selected to the 23-man roster. They'll be joined by Kobe Bryant, Gilbert Arenas, Shane Battier, Chauncey Billups, Chris Bosh, Bruce Bowen and Elton Brand.

Others on the roster include Dwight Howard, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Michael Redd and Luke Ridnour.

College players J.J. Redick (Duke) and Adam Morrison (Gonzaga) also were chosen.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Great. Something else I can be wrong about.

This is a no-win situation. If we win with NBA players, it's "Yeah, big deal. You oughta stomp everybody." And I'm not convinced we're picking guys who will play well together as a team, although no Alan Iverson is a good sign. If I was running this show, we'd invite a select group of collegians to a tryout and see who plays the best together within the framework of the coach's strategy. Guys who really have a buy-in to the philosophy and willing to sacrifice their own showboating/stat padding tendencies to win as a team. This should not be an "All Star" team, but a team assembled with the idea of playing together to accomplish a team goal.

I've got no problem with Coach K as the designated coach, but I'm wondering how much success he can really expect to have with a group of NBA stars. This should be interesting, and I'm guessing not in a good way. I predict drama aplenty.

I hope I am wrong.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hey. I noticed JJ Reddick's name mentioned....

going from college league basketball to playing alongside the major players, is that a massive step up?

Good points yeahright, its the same in football (Soccer), prime example being Real Madrid, they are full of superstars and all great individual players, but when it comes to a team they aint that great.

Other than the US, what other countries have a really well known basketball division?

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
They play some serious b'ball in central & southern Europe. The NBA has gotten a lot of players from Serbia & Croatia. There are very good teams in Greece and Italy. Traditionally, Brazil has been pretty good. Remember Oscar Schmidt? He could light it up.

[Edited on 3/12/06 by yeahright]

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Ryno, both JJ and the kid from Gonzaga, Morrison, are exceptional players. Team USA has traditionally had at least one college player, I'm pretty sure. I think Christian Laettner played for the original "Dream Team" back in the early '90s.

yeahright, you have hit the nail on the head with your comments. I have faith that the guys will be honored to be playing for Coach K (they darn well oought to be!), and they should listen to him. If they don't, they can go with another player.

top topics

join