It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: McNabb's latest critic is local NAACP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I'm a Redskins fan. I gladly would have taken McNabb on my team over the past 4 seasons. It takes a gutless man to kick another while he's down, and this is coming from a guy who should be supporting McNabb. This is just an unconceivable place for criticism to be coming from.

Story Link

J. Whyatt Mondesire, who publishes a newspaper for blacks and is the president of the Philadelphia branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, recently wrote that the Eagles' star quarterback failed as a team leader and choked in the Super Bowl.

McNabb responded sharply, but Mondesire hasn't changed his stance.

"He doesn't get it," Mondesire said Wednesday. "If he got it, I wouldn't have written the article."

Mondesire, publisher of the Philadelphia Sunday Sun, criticized McNabb in a column in his newspaper on Dec. 4.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Dear Gibbs,

I don't agree that the critic is an "inconceivable" place for criticism to come from. Black men don't have to support other black men, and that includes ones in the N.A.A.C.P. I sure would hope the N.A.A.C.P. wouldn't feel obligated to support Don King, no matter what that guy had done. (I mean, check out his past....) I wouldn't want them automatically supporting Bonds or T.O., either, both of whom go out of their way to make people hate them, and to perpetuate hostility against empowered black men.

But in this particular instance, this particular N.A.A.C.P. member's criticism came from one J. Whyatt Mondesire, who apparently is a self-aggrandizing jerk in the T.O. mode and seized upon an opportunity to get his 15 minutes of fame, not caring that he was trashing a much better person than himself, and a very fine quarterback, in the process. Now, I don't think Mondesire or his chapter owed McNabb anything because McNabb was black, and if this were the laughable Kordell Stewart we were talking about, criticism of QB'ing skills would be in order.

But in this case, we have a jerk who cared more about self-aggrandizement and his 15 minutes than about anything else, and he trashed a guy who's amassed a pretty strong run of seasons and shown a LOT of heart (and put up with a ton of sh*t). So it's not really about a man who failed to defend a member of his race. It's about a man who made a horse's rear out of himself by being dead wrong, and, in the process, sold out an exemplary black QB who has shattered myths perpetuated by horrible black QB's like Stewart.

I hope y'all saw the story, prominently featured on espn.com today, about how the Chief Executive Officer of the N.A.A.C.P. tore Mondesire a new one. He called McNabb "a great quarterback, an excellent role model and a class act," adding that HE will apologize for Mondesire's remarks. (Hint: Mondesire may not be around long, lol.) The CEO concluded, "The N.A.A.C.P. has many civil rights issues that require our attention. Criticizing Donovan McNabb is not one of them."

So, Gibbs, if you're saying that criticizing a black QB is out of line for another black man, or even for an N.A.A.C.P. leadership figure, I respectfully dissent. The problem with this Uncle Tom is the same as the one with a certain cracker with a fondness for painkillers: Rush Limbaugh. As the late Ralph Wiley said, he picked the wrong QB, and therefore heaped unfair and downright wrongheaded, stereotype-filled criticism on a very talented black QB who obviously didn't deserve it.

Not being black, I don't know if I'm qualified to say it's worse from an Uncle Tom than from an idiot like Limbaugh. It's real offensive coming from either of them, because it's dead wrong, provably false, statistically indefensible and guaranteed to help perpetuate racist stereotypes about black athletes.

Is it worse coming from Mondesire because his skin color makes him a quisling, on top of everything else? I suppose so, but again I don't think we're qualified to make that judgment. Suffice it to say that both men made colossal jerks out of themselves, and that Limbaugh's sin has grown staler in our minds both with time and because his narcotics abuse became more interesting.

It will be awhile before Mr. Mondesire's sins fade from memory.

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
BHN, you have essentially made my point for me. McNabb is one of the elite QB's in the league over the past 5 seasons or so. I say inconceivable, because this dude is with the NAACP, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Even if it is just his opinion, and not that of the organization (which he clearly stated so), why is he trying to call this great player, who he happens to share his skin color with, out? One of the best players of the past 5 seasons? An outstanding individual, and a prominent figure in our culture. How can that help advance thier cause? To me, that is inconceivable.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
OK, Gibbs, mea culpa and my apologies and all that schtuff. So, I assume you would think Mr. Mondesire had done no wrong if, oh, three or four years ago, he had gone on a tirade about what a bad joke Kordell Stewart was--and always had been--as an NFL QB?

I mean, he'd be joining a chorus with literal millions of other football fans, but he'd be dead on. Stewart had a career rating of 70.7, but even that doesn't tell the story of how horrible he was, because his constant look-at-me-I-can-run approach to the "offense" destroyed the team's overall offense, not just its passing game. One of my longtime best friends lives in a suburb of Pittsburgh and was always telling me she wondered what sort of horrible secret Stewart must have had on Cowher in order to retain that job.

Anyway, I'm sure I would be almost 100% preaching to the choir if I posted a huge screed here trashing Stewart as a pro "QB," so I won't waste the time. Gibbs, would you agree that if Mondesire had been talking to the media about black athletes and the media, or black athletes and whatever, and someone had asked him about Stewart, he'd have been well within bounds to say that Cowher should accept the inevitable and bench or re-position Stewart, because a joke like him only perpetuates all of the worst, most racist stereotypes about black QB's, giving them a false aura of validity?

My point, of course, is that while it's hardly the biz of the NAACP to run around pointing out specific African-Americans who fit racist stereotypes, once Mondesire was speaking to the media, he surely should have had the right to speak freely, honestly and wisely, even if it meant disparaging a black athlete.

Obviously he picked a terrible example and made an idiot of himself; and one suspects his days of having an authority position within the NAACP are limited, if not terminated. You have known for months what I think of McNabb, and my feelings remain unchanged. But don't you think my underlying point is valid?

By the way, while I would never consider McNabb for a spot on the 10 greatest pro QB's of all time list, I would for SURE give Warren Moon a spot if his CFL time counted, and I probably would give him one even if it didn't. What a QB he was, eh?

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
you both have points in my eyes.

but my take on it is that this mondesire has an opinion just like the rest of us do and he used his freedom of speech to express his opinion. the only thing inconceivable here is that the color of their skin is relavent.
also i saw the super bowl and the lack of urgency at the end of the game certainly wasnt all mcnabb but he's the leader and the QB always takes the heat.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
I assume you would think Mr. Mondesire had done no wrong if, oh, three or four years ago, he had gone on a tirade about what a bad joke Kordell Stewart was--and always had been--as an NFL QB?

Exactly

Gibbs, would you agree that if Mondesire had been talking to the media about black athletes and the media, or black athletes and whatever, and someone had asked him about Stewart, he'd have been well within bounds to say that Cowher should accept the inevitable and bench or re-position Stewart, because a joke like him only perpetuates all of the worst, most racist stereotypes about black QB's, giving them a false aura of validity?

Right on!

My point, of course, is that while it's hardly the biz of the NAACP to run around pointing out specific African-Americans who fit racist stereotypes, once Mondesire was speaking to the media, he surely should have had the right to speak freely, honestly and wisely, even if it meant disparaging a black athlete.

He has that right, as any of us do. However, he should know that whatever he says will be connected with the organization that he works with, whther they share his opinion or not.

Obviously he picked a terrible example and made an idiot of himself; and one suspects his days of having an authority position within the NAACP are limited, if not terminated. You have known for months what I think of McNabb, and my feelings remain unchanged. But don't you think my underlying point is valid?

Of course the underlying pint is valid, but this guy had or has a bad case of a rectal headache, and brought the attention of the nation to his comments. Holding the position that he did, he should have realized that beforehand.

ia, very good point about it being the QB that always takes the heat. I don't agree with that line of reasoning myself, but many people feel that way about this game.

new topics

top topics

join