It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Four Vikings charged on "Love Boat"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Duante Culpepper led the names on the rap sheet for the infamous party on Lake Minnetonka. I hear that he has denied any wrongdoing on the boat. Go figure, I wouldn't admit on national TV that I did anythign wrong, either. The players face up to 90 days in jail, and up to a $10,000 fine. Good thing that the hearing is scheduled for early January, since the team doesn't stand a chance to make the playoffs...

Story Link

Besides Culpepper, offensive lineman Bryant McKinnie, cornerback Fred Smoot and running back Moe Williams were each charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct.

[Edited on 3/5/2006 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Does ANYONE have any info on what the "lewd and lascivious" acts in question allegedly were? That term is so vague that many of us criminal defense attorneys feel it violates the Constitution's ban on criminal statutes which are so vague a person of reasonable intelligence cannot figure out what is, and is not, banned by the statute. But a lot of states have such "lewd-and-lascivious" laws.

Anyway, are these four guys supposed to have gotten down and dirty, and very loaded, with some hired, consenting pro babes on this boat? If so, who cares? That's between them and their wives, and maybe the local cops and their coaches, but I could care less if they were snorting something instead of drinking booze, you know? (Easy for me to say, since I don't do either and haven't had a drop in 25 years, but I realize the snorting part is much more serious in the law's eyes.) Or are they supposed to have gotten down and dirty with 15-year-olds?

Or is it something in between the first example, which most of you, I assume, would agree is up to their bad judgment to do, and the second example--which I assume most of you would agree is depraved and warrants time in prison?

I mean, I keep hearing about this boat "incident," but I've no idea what is alleged to have taken place there, and in particular, whether it allegedly involved some type of SEXUAL ASSAULT. As my two examples show, it could be anything from behavior that's really nobody's biz except that of the players' wives, to behavior that should land them in prison for a long time. Until we know what's alleged, it's not much of a story. Is it?

But here's what I think the BIG story is. Are they waiting until the season is over to make clear the scope and seriousness of the conduct? If so, shame on them. I mean, even Kobe Bryant, who is about 100 times better at what he does than any of these guys, didn't get that privilege. If this IS a really serious matter, I hope it's not being kept hushed up, and their derrieres aren't being kept out of jail, until their season or playoff run is over. If THAT is what's going on, shouldn't the cops, prosecutors and team executives in question do a bit of time themselves?

Anyone suspect that may be what's happening? Or have all the details of the alleged "misconduct" been aired, and have I just missed all of the details?

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
Does ANYONE have any info on what the "lewd and lascivious" acts in question allegedly were?

B.H.N.

well i'm from Viking land and all i've heard is that Culpepper got a lap dance. now some of the other guys were apparently going down on girls and getting head. i don't think that Cullpepper's charges will hold up, some of the other guys though, they may end up getting fired, but i don't think the new owner of the Vikes was all that crazy about the team anyway.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Aegis, thanks for that input. That leaves only two relevant questions:

(1) Were all of the females willing participants in each and every sexual act?

AND

(2) Were the females all at or beyond the legal age of consent, as defined in the jurisdiction of Minnesota?

Intuitively, I'd guess the women were pros, and if so, the answers to these questions are obviously "yes." But anyway, unless and until there is some allegation that the answer to one or both questions--as to one or more players--was "no," this is much ado about nothing. YES, the players involved, if married, deserve to be served with divorce papers and lose a nice, fat amount of money. So do any team executives involved. But that's not our biz, not is it cop biz. Is it?

So what is the big deal about this story? IS THERE AN ALLEGATION OF FORCED SEX FLOATING AROUND HERE, OR AT LEAST ONE INVOLVING UNDERAGE FEMALES? If not, can the media please drop this salacious and cheap story... at least, until it hits the divorce courts and some huge amount of money is at stake?

I mean, do any of y'all feel this is any of your biz, or even slightly interesting, assuming it was all legal and didn't involve force or underage girls? I sure as hell don't.

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
actually they are being charged with sex in public essentially. the boat they were on was occupied by about 90 people, only 30 or so were on the team, this cruise line is basically a floating restraunt that cruises the lake. Also it sounds like the girls were pro's, imported from Georgia, and paid so there may be some intrastate prostitution thing going on too. I'm not sure what the laws in California are but here in the midwest it is illegal to have sex in a public place, which they did, i'm not gonna presume they are guilty, but the evidence is pretty well stacked against some of these guys.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
OK, let's say they are guilty. I mean, obviously they are presumed innocent, but let's say for the sake of argument they are guilty. It's not like they're supporting some monster who sells large amounts of crack coke or crank--which, as any experienced criminal lawyer will tell you in a heartbeat, is the worst drug in creation. If they broke the law, and if this is a law which is ordinarily enforced in that jurisdiction, then by all means let them do a few months of probation, or pay the customary fine, or do the customary jail time (perhaps after the season?).

But is this really a newsworthy story? I have friends in Minnesota, and I cannot imagine that the people of that state consider this any kind of serious crime. If they broke the law, they should get the same kind of treatment as any other violators, but I am willing to wager that's not much of a punishment.

Don't you think I'm probably correct?

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
being from viking country, anything the vikings do dominates the news. with their less than stellar season this year they really have the peeps mad at them, and this is a way for the peeps to express their anger. now i agree that it is getting way too much attention, but people around here live and die for viking football. most fans are extreme nitpickers on the conduct of the vikings as of late (the Randy Moss running over a metermaid incident, Mike Tice scalping his superbowl tickets come to mind). Is it selling crack or meth to school kids? no, but anyone else who had done this would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Anyone else who did what Moss did to that metermaid would have been prosecuted for assault with a deadly weapon, and, because she was police-affiliated, would have done hard time for it.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
Anyone else who did what Moss did to that metermaid would have been prosecuted for assault with a deadly weapon, and, because she was police-affiliated, would have done hard time for it.

I agree, that is why vikings fans are coming down so hard on them, they don't want them to get away with something (again) that normal people would have been busted hard for. Don't even get me started on Moss though, i have nothing nice to say about him and am happy to say Oakland can keep him, in fact talk around here is that Cullpepper won't even get the starting job next year and Oakland may be interested, good riddance to bad rubish i say.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The prosecutor in the Minnesota Vikings' boat party case denied Thursday that race played any role in his decision to charge four black players and not two white men for their alleged conduct on a cruise last October.

CBS Sportsline

new topics

top topics

join