It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: Baseball: Piniella not returning to Devil Rays in 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Lou Piniella's manageial career in Tampa seems to be over. Two annonymous sources told The Tampa Tribune that Piniella will not return as the Devil Rays manager next season. The Devil Rays will buy out the remaining year of Piniella's four-year deal for half its worth. Piniella will be free to take another job next season, but has hinted he may take the season off. Rumors of Piniella's departure began earlier this season, when Piniella criticized the new owners of the last-place team for what he thinks is a lack of a commitment to do everything possible to win.

Originally posted on ESPN

Lou Piniella's rocky tenure in Tampa Bay appears to be over.

Two sources speaking on condition of anonymity told The Tampa Tribune that Piniella will not return as the Devil Rays manager next season.

According to the Tribune, the Devil Rays will buy out the remaining year of Piniella's four-year deal. Piniella will receive $2.2 million of the $4.4 million he was to have received in 2006. The Rays will also pay $1.25 million in salary deferred from Piniella's first season in 2003.

Piniella, 62, will be free to take another managerial job next season, but has hinted he may take the season off, the Tribune reported.

When asked about his future by the Tribune, Piniella said only, "I can't talk about it."

Lou Piniella

Piniela is a gret manager, so maybe this move isn't too smart. The D-Rays payroll was under $30 million at the beginning of the season, so I think they should focus on rasing that to pick up some better players. Carl Crawford is probably their best player, so it shows thee they need some help.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'm happy for Lou because he deserves better. I would rank him as one of the three best active managers with LaRussa and Cox

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I don't understand what the management is doing. They have a great young team, who remind me of the Indians 2 years ago. They want to get rid of one of the best managers in the Game? makes no sense to me. As for Lou, he needs to keep his head high...He is going to be paid a lot of money to do nothing.

ESPN tried to throw out a rumor that maybe the Yankees would be interested in him. I don't think there is a chance in hell the Yankees would toss Torre out.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The Devil Rays will continue getting exactly what their owners deserve. It's too bad a bunch of MLB players must reconcile themselves to being on a team that stinks every year. Give this team another 20 years of this, and it will be compared with the Braves, Chisox and especially Phillies teams of the 20's, 30's and 40's--the brown standard of terrible teams, so to speak. (blush)

I hope the rumors about Mike Schmidt's possibly coaching this team aren't true. I admired him greatly as a player, consider him by far the greatest MLB third baseman ever (sorry, Mathews, Brett and Baker, but you're not close), and don't think he needs to start his managerial career quite THIS far down on the ladder.

Baseball History Nut

top topics

join