It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: ESPN adds Monday night baseball for $2.3 billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
ESPN will start a series of Monday night baseball broadcasts and gain greater flexibility to move games to Sunday nights under a new eight-year contract worth $2.368 billion.

Originally posted on ESPN

NEW YORK -- The agreement announced Wednesday, which runs through 2013, allows the network to have a team appear on its exclusive Sunday night games up to five times per season, up from 11 over a three-season span under the six-year contract that is expiring.

Baseball is getting $200 million from ESPN in the final season of its current deal, which was worth about $815 million for its television component and was a product of a lawsuit settlement.

The sport will average $296 million under the new agreement, a television and a baseball official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of a confidentiality agreement in the deal. ESPN will pay baseball $273.5 million in 2006, $293.5 million in each of the following four years, $308.5 million in 2011 and $306 million in each of the final two seasons.

"You worry about oversaturation, but this is a sport that its fans follow and live on a day-by-day basis," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said. "I do not worry that this will produce a glut."

The sport's six-year contract with FOX, which runs through 2006 and covers the regular season, All-Star game and postseason, is worth about $2.5 billion. In addition, Selig and his staff have been planning to launch baseball's own cable network next year.

Link: ESPN buys Monday baseball

The two things hat caught my attention were these:

$2.368 billion dollars for Monday night games through 2013.

Possible launch of all-baseball cable network.

I wish I had 1/100000th of what they're spending, which is 23 grand. And an all baseball cable network? I think that's Selig's single good decision. Having cable, I'm limited to a few games a week... but with a whole network devoted to baseball, I'd be watching a lot of tv.

[Edited on 15/9/05 by TRD]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
thats awesome good job by espn and mlb

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
2.3 billion dollars?? aren't there people in the gulf coast that need that alot more

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
they dont need alot more than that

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnosSlaughter
they dont need alot more than that

i said they need it more than baseball does for a monday night, i like the all baseball cable though

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
baseball has already donated over 10 million dollars

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crawford89
2.3 billion dollars?? aren't there people in the gulf coast that need that alot more

That's over 8 seasons... so not even 400 million a year. Baseball has donated it's share, as well as other sports.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
the gulf coasts major problem is the people not cooperating

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
If you visit ATSNN.com, you can get an idea of what's really going on down there. But people have done they're good share of donating money.

top topics

join