It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Bobcats rookie May has knee surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Tarheel Sean May has had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Tuesday, and does not seem likely to play in the training camps. It is expected that he will be ready for the Bobcats season opener on Nov. 2. He had the surgery to remove damaged cartilage in his knee.

Originally posted on ESPN

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Charlotte Bobcats forward Sean May had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Tuesday and will not be ready to play when training camp begins next month.

May, the former North Carolina star selected 13th overall in the NBA draft, is expected to be ready in time for Charlotte's Nov. 2 season opener.

"We are fortunate that this was a minor injury and caught early," Bobcats coach Bernie Bickerstaff said. "Sean has a great work ethic and we know he will work extremely hard to be back to 100 percent when the regular season begins."

May played for the Bobcats' summer league team and was the most valuable player of the Rocky Mountain Revue league, averaging 16.5 points and 9.2 rebounds over six games.

He had the surgery in Santa Monica, Calif., to remove damaged cartilage in his knee.

"I am committed to doing whatever I have to do to be back on the court as quickly as possible because I am so excited to start my NBA career and to help the Charlotte Bobcats grow," May said. "I feel I am in the best shape of my life and this will not keep me down."

It would have been far worse if he were o miss any regular season games. I can't wait to see all my Tarheels play in the NBA, especially May, seeing as how he's a potential starter.

[Edited on 15/9/05 by TRD]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
may and felton are going to flop. playing against nba centers isn't quite like playing against weak acc big men

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
i think the bobcats are going to contend for an 8 spot this year in the weak Eastern Conference

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kooshdoctor
may and felton are going to flop. playing against nba centers isn't quite like playing against weak acc big men

Felton didn't play "weak ACC big men". He played against some of the top guards in the nation in ACC play all year, and again in the NCAA Tourny.

May had multiple 20+ rebound games and scored when needed as well (29 pts in one NCAA game with strong showing in others). So he's got the potential to be a strong rebounder at center with decent scoring, or maybe a hell of a power foward. By they way "weak ACC big men" might sound good, but there are some strong big men in the ACC. Sheldon Williams, Duke's PF/C (he guarded Sean May a lot in their 2 games last year): was the NABC National Defensive Player of the Year last year. Williams is one of the great shot blockers of all time so far. What happened when May played against the National Defensive Player of the year? May got 23pts and 18 boards the first time. The 2nd time? Duke doubled him more and Williams played him almost exclusively. May responded with 26pts and 24 rebounds. May is considered to have some of the best hands ever seen for a big man. An undersized big man who has good hands and is a rebound machine and can score when needed. A guy like that named Charles Barkley was pretty successful with the same M.O.

Am I saying May will come anywhere near Chuck's greatness? No way.
But he definately has a good chance at being a good player, if not more, in the NBA. At power foward I can see him being a force in a few years. Maybe not, but I would sure not say he's going to flop with out any real evidence to back it up.

[Edited on 9/30/05 by nekbone]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
no felton played against some good players, but he is a product of the system. may is the one who played against a horribly weak acc. there were no big men to step up against him minus williams in wake who hasn't really panned out. may has looked good over the summer, maybe it's just cause i'm a clemson fan and i'm sick of everyone kissing his butt, but i really don't think he has the skills to excel once he has better athletes and bigger centers

new topics

top topics

join