It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Rocket honors mom, gets win as Astros rout Marlins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
On a night that filled Roger "The Rocket" Clemens with deep emotions, he took charge on he mound against a tough Marlins team. He allowed one run in 6 1/3 innings in a 10-2 win over the Florida Marlins, starting despite his mothers death earlier that same morning. Bess Clemens was 75 when she died of complications from emphysema in Texas. Clemens said her health was an important factor in is retirement decisions the past two seasons, and he hoped his mother would be able to attend his Hall of Fame induction, which is probable cause this is his last sason.

Originally posted on ESPN

HOUSTON (AP) -- Roger Clemens dug his spikes into the dirt and stared momentarily at the ground before throwing his first pitch. He knew his mother would have wanted him on the mound.

The Houston Astros ace made his scheduled start Wednesday night and allowed one run in 6 1/3 innings in a 10-2 win over the Florida Marlins, pitching in honor of his mother after she died early that morning.

Bess Clemens died in Georgetown, Texas, because of complications from emphysema. She was 75.

Just after the final out, a tribute to Clemens' mother was shown on the giant video screen, and Astros players -- though Clemens wasn't among the group -- stood in the infield and watched. The video included Clemens talking about his mother at previous news conferences, his mother talking about him and video of them together on a baseball field.

Link: Roger Clemens

My dad met Roger in Kuwait, and said he's an amazingly nice guy. It really shows his mental strength for having such a dominate performance with his mother on his mind.

[Edited on 15/9/05 by TRD]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think what Roger did was very heroic, typical of a soon to be hall of famer.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Very classy guy, very tough competitor, very good pitcher

we have truly witnessed his brilliance this year

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The best sanctuary for all of the players is between those two white lines... i remember when paul oneill lost his father in 1999, and he played in that world series quote "i dont think his father would've wanted him to be doing anything else".

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Yea I remember when he cryed at the end when the won the world series. That was a really dramatic moment and a good moment I might add.

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
yea, almost as touching a moment for him as in the world series 2001, his last inning in new york, they chanted paul oneill for the whole inning, and they were losing, just shows the fans depth

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
yea, that was very classy. I still don't think that was as classy though when Roger supposedly had played his last game, and the fans in Boston gave him a standing ovation.

top topics

join