It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Newz Forum: SOCCER: Bank of Scotland Scottish Premier results 07/05/05

page: 1

log in


posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:42 AM
Rangers moved to the top of the Bank of Scotland Premier League after hanging on for a 2-1 win over Hearts at Ibrox.

First-half strikes from Thomas Buffel and Marvin Andrews had put Rangers in control but when the latter netted a late own goal it was a nervous finish for the championship chasers. The relief of the final whistle allowed Alex McLeish's side to post a one-point lead over Celtic and hope the Hoops slip up at home to Aberdeen on Sunday to set up an even more nerve-racking end to the season.

At the other end of the table, Jim Leishman celebrated his first game as caretaker manager of Dunfermline with a stunning 5-0 victory against Dundee. Both teams headed into the game knowing the outcome could play a part in who holds onto their SPL status and it was Dunfermline who showed they are fired up for a relegation dogfight which looks set to go to the wire. They had netted just 18 league goals at home this season ahead of this game but a Derek Young hat-trick, an own-goal from Calum McDonald and an Andrius Skerla header made their goals for column look far healthier.

Amadou Konte grabbed a last-gasp equaliser for Hibs against Motherwell at Fir Park to secure a valuable point in their bid for a UEFA Cup place. Stand-in captain Stephen Craigan, who scored his first ever league goal for the Steelmen in February against Hibs, netted in each half to give the Lanarkshire club a 2-0 lead. Garry O'Connor missed the chance to get Tony Mowbray's side back in the game when his weak 63rd-minute penalty was saved by Gordon Marshall. But Gary Caldwell curled home a free-kick 10 minutes from time and Konte slid home at the death to make it 2-2.

Kilmarnock substitute Kris Boyd's second-half strike against Dundee United gave the Rugby Park side a 1-1 draw at Tannadice. The home side went ahead in the 16th minute with a controversial opener when Jim McIntyre's header from a Barry Robson corner appeared to have been cleared off the line by Peter Leven before assistant referee Steven Craven flagged for a goal. But, after coming on for Colin Nish at the interval, Boyd slammed his 53rd-minute leveller in from close range after a David Lilley header had rebounded off the post.

Richard Gough's Livingston took a giant stride towards safety with a well-deserved 1-0 victory over Inverness. Jason Dair struck with a fine header in the first half to give the West Lothian men the lead and, while Caley's Bryan Prunty and Graham Bayne missed gilt-edged chances, the three points gained were fully merited. The Jags had little to play for and it showed in their lacklustre performance, which was in direct contrast to Livi who appear to be winning their battle for survival.


log in