It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Van Gundy fined $100K; targeted refs, Cuban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Fine largest ever for an NBA coach

I hadn't heard anything about this. Unusual situation, but it appears that the NBA is in agreement with Cuban on this. Or, are they trying to tell Van Gundy to shut up? I haven't been able to watch much of this series myself, but this certainly makes it that much more interesting.

Story Link

The NBA fined Houston Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy $100,000 -- the largest amount ever for a coach -- on Monday, a day after he accused officials of targeting center Yao Ming this postseason and said Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was to blame.

Speaking to three reporters at the team hotel in Dallas on Sunday night, Van Gundy said a referee not working the playoffs called him and warned that officials "were looking at Yao harder because of Mark's complaints" to the league office. He said that Cuban "has been hard on them," and "he's gotten the benefit."

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Van Gundy had a point though. Yao has been hacked at so many times in this series and hasn't got the calls. But I hate how they center out certain players. For instince they center out the stars. What about the little players that don't get the calls. I think this is what is going to make a lockout next season. There is too much complaining about the refs. If they don't like it, sit out one game and ref. Then they see how hard it is.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Do you think that the name of the supposed referee who called Van Gundy will come out?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
No, I think that it will be under wraps. They don't want to srutinize the ref especially when it is coming to the lockout for basketball now becaus eof the referee's.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Tell me again about how you think the refs are going to cause a lockout? I don't quite understnd where you're coming from.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The biggest reason this lockout is happening is because the Ref's have to make a new agreement with the NBA for the next few season. But if they can't work it out, there will be a lockout.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
OK, sorry, I misunderstood. The refs will be locked out...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Yes, but that means that they will have to find replacements and I think they will look to the NBDL for those. But if they can reach out and find a deal, then they will be set.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by travy51
Yes, but that means that they will have to find replacements and I think they will look to the NBDL for those. But if they can reach out and find a deal, then they will be set.

I hope that they can, refereeing is about the most thankless job in the world, right up there with farmers, cops, and janitors.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
You would be surprised on how much refs are payed these days. More than those "farmers" you speak of.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Be careful not to offend Gibbs, I think he lives on a farm.

You definitely do have to have some thick skin to be a ref/ump.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Be careful not to offend Gibbs, I think he lives on a farm.

Why yes, yes I do. Right now, my landlord is loading up his planter. I don't get offended, though, I work with them for a living, I know how much they are underappreciated. BTW, how was lunch?

I think that the refs deserve everything they can get (money wise). They are out there the whole game, don't get rest, and have to make calls that can cost many people a whole lot of money, and they will be questioned no matter what. That's some high intensity stress, if you ask me.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I saw this on Sportscenter this evening -

Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy clarified comments about an official telling him Rockets center Yao Ming was being targeted by referees in the first round of the playoffs, and the NBA now considers the matter closed.

"When I referred to an NBA official, people inferred that I was talking about a working NBA referee, instead of an official with the league," Van Gundy said Monday in a statement released by the Rockets. "I was purposely vague because I had given my word that I would keep his name out of it."

ESPN

The NBA's official statement

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The statement was not to offend Gibbs, I was making a statement that Farmers are underrated in this world. They give is many of the things we have to day. Referee's are paid too much these days. Everyone is paid too much these days, let's givew a little money to Gibbs and he can start the march.:party-smiley-018:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Bring the cash, kids!

I am sticking up for the refs, though. My point is, if they players get as much as they do (and I totally feel they are overpaid), than the refs should be right there with them.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The refs are paid to do their jobs and they should do it respectedly. If you take them down to a lower paying job, they will complain more so they (as in the NBA) should stick with the contract the give them. If the contract is unrespectable, then go for a strike.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'm not filled in completely here, I thought they were due for a new contract, but they'll be holding out for a better one this time around?

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
That is the biggest point of this. But refs are being paid more than the more important people in the world like the farmers (GIBBS) and I think that they should take what they should get. That goes for the players also. Quite rediculous!

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I agree with you (especially about giving me more money
, but I'm not actually a farmer, I just play one some evenings)

But complaing about salaries in sports should start with the players, the go to the owners, then the coaches, then the refs, IMHO...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Exactly, with sports these days, the mind has been taken off the sports and to the money. I know this won't happen but I wish it would be all about the sports again. Things haven't been the same since people have been offered almost 60 million a season (Shaq--59M to be exact). If people could just sttle their differences and play like they should, the game would be better. Some stars say they need money to pay for their families....yeah...right.....
so I guess supporting the family is going out and buying a $50 000 necklace so you can show off your "bling-bling" on television. Right, makes a lot of sense. The Refs though need a lot of money for what they go through but not too much. Lately, fighting has entered this sport and I find it a little disrespectful to the sport. If it was played the way it was supposed to, the sport wouldn't have to put up with this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join