It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: Dean's List: Three and Out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Amid growing Congressional pressure to clean up the game, MLB commissioner Bud Selig has asked the union to accept a stiffer stance on doping...

His proposal? A "three strikes and you're out" policy that includes a 50-game suspension for a first-time offense, 100 games for the second time and a lifetime ban for the third. NHL chief Gary Bettman, meanwhile, is considering a similarly clever "three-line pass" approach to the issue. Not to be outdone, Paul Tagliabue is mulling over a "three and out" policy for the NFL. And over in the NBA, commissioner David Stern is taking aim at a "three-pointer"...

Let the countdown begin. In 17 weeks, the 17-week NFL season kicks off in Foxborough. It's only a matter of time before Patriots quarterback Tom Brady throws his first interception of the year. And it's only a matter of time before deluded Patriots fans start calling for 43-year-old backup Doug Flutie, who's already begun stirring the pot after signing with the hometown team this past week. "I really think my best role is coming off the bench, even though I have had some success as a starter," said the 5-10, 180-pounder. "My best success has been coming off the bench to relieve a guy that's either struggled or got banged up." Well hear this, Doug. Even if Brady struggles, you're not playing. And you better hope he doesn't get injured. Because then you won't be coming off the bench. You'll be the starter, which - by your own admission - is too tall a task for you to handle...

Allegedly, Brady is none to too pleased with the media swirl surrounding the Flutie signing, and he's dead set on proving he's the one and only icon of New England football. Brady's first move? Destroy the legend of Flutie Flakes by launching his own brand of breakfast cereal, Brady Bunches of Oats...

Still, you really can't go home again. At least not if you're a coach. After leading the Redskins to a stellar 140-65 record, eight playoff appearances and three Super Bowls from 1981-92, Joe Gibbs won a career-low six games upon his return to Washington last season. From 1975-79, Ted Marchibroda carried the Colts to three playoff appearances. But his return to Baltimore was a flop, as the Ravens managed only 16 wins from 1996-98. Billy Martin led the Yankees to three pennants and two World Series from 1975-79 but never made it back to October in three other stints with the Bombers in 1983, 1985 and 1988. Oh, and Cotton Fitzsimmons? After leading Phoenix to a 97-67 mark from 1970-72, he went home again in 1989 to the tune of four straight 50-win seasons. But when Fitzsimmons went home again...again in 1996, he went just 27-30, including an eight-game losing streak to close out his career...

But not all homecoming parades get rained on. Bill Parcells did a heck of a job in his second tour of duty at the Meadowlands, leading the Jets to the 1998 AFC title game after two Super Bowl runs with the Giants in 1986 and 1990. And after five straight losing seasons with the Mets from 1977-81, Joe Torre's managed to win four championships in nine full seasons with the Yankees. The moral of the story? Maybe you can go home again. And maybe Phil Jackson should go back to LA - with the Clippers. Zen again, maybe not...

Funny how Curt Schilling - the preeminent clutch pitcher of the modern era - blew 10 saves in 23 chances with the Orioles, Astros and Phillies from 1990-92...

Forget about the Yankees. The Red Sox/Devil Rays rivalry is heating up faster than a Schilling fastball. A bean-fest got it all started during a two-game set last weekend. Tempers flared, but a brawl was averted. Then came the dreaded war of words. First the Red Sox ace questioned Lou Piniella's managerial skills during a radio interview this past Wednesday, calling the Tampa Bay skipper an "idiot." Not to be denied, Piniella fired back, albeit in a prepared statement. "I have forgotten more baseball than this guy knows," spouted the fiery Italian. "The problem is, Curt has a short memory. He doesn't remember when he was a young pitcher." So just to recap: Lou Piniella, who thinks that forgetting is OK but not remembering isn't, is an idiot. I'm Dean Christopher...

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
i hope the uniun approves this without a lot of noise, i still think that the 50 game first time penalty may be too light

new topics

join