It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: EXCLUSIVE: 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips online chat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Professional Boxer Dynamite Dean Phillips has taken the time out again from his personal life and training to do another live online chat with the staff and members of www.sportztawk.com. It took place in the chatroom on sportztawk on the 3rd of April at 9pm GMT.

We'll get straight into it - here's the questions and Deans answers!

Speedfreak asks - Do you think that training is harder than fighting in the ring? If so what is the toughest part of the training?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - The training is the hard part. If you train hard, you fight easily. Although the actual fight is hard, it goes so quickly you dont tend to realise and if you are prepared properly then you should breeze through it. The hardest part of training is the sacrifices you have to make.

Ben - How are things holding up on the homefront? Is everything going smoothly?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - On the homefront, everything is going great. I have just got engaged to my girlfriend Jo and we are going to marry when she gets back from service in iraq in october. Looking forward to a brilliant future with her. Boxing is on hold at the moment as there have been no fights coming my way, but I am still training and hope for something to materialise very soon.

Ben - I hope things go well in that area, behind every great man, lies a great girl.

Toejam - I see on your website that you have new management and are looking to fight outside the UK, does that mean the US?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Well, I am in talks with another overseas promoter. Possible I will fight in Germany, but nothing at all has been finalised. We are very much in the talking stage. I am still promoted by Matchroom unofficially.

Ktprktpr asks - I've recently bought a jump rope to improve my quickness and endurance. I've read that boxers use jump training a lot. Do you? And if you do what excercises would you recomend?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I jump rope every gym session. You can use a rope to improve your co-ordination, aerobic and anaerobic fitness as well as your speed. I recommend jumping the rope as if you are running as you will get a good workout that way.

Ben - What is you technical gift? Fast hands?, power?, Great footwork? or something else?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I am extremely strong at my weight. I can hit just as hard in the last round of a fight as I do in the first round. because of this, I have actually physically retired some of my opponents permanently from their boxing careers.

ProudAmerican - What's your favorite boxing movie?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Rocky movies are benchmark boxing movies, so those have to be my favourite. They are very inspiring.

toejam - Congrats on your engagement, is it frustrating to not get fights?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Thank you. It is frustrating not getting fights, but boxing is in a bad shape here in the uk at the moment, but its just a phase that will pass.

ktprktpr asks - Do you have any lucky items that you wear or use just before a match?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I used to consider my shorts to be lucky, and would make sure I wear the same ones when fighting. Nowadays though, I just go with what I am comfortable with for that particular fight.

TRD - I hoped you washed them everytime...

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Of course, but it isn't my blood that is stained on them... Its always the other guy's.

Ben - Do you think that getting married and maybe having kids, will effect on how long you will box for? And would you want your kids to take that choice also in the boxing ring?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I would support my kids in whatever they wanted to do. If they wanted to box, then I would support them the same as I would support them if they wanted to sing or do ballet. I have never had kids or got married so I couldn't tell you my feelings. Obviously your priorities change, but it wont affect my boxing career.

toejam - Are you a natural lightweight or is it a constant battle to keep your weight down?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I am a natural lightweight and have always been a lightweight. I used to struggle to make super feather like 10 years ago, so should have always campaigned at lightweight. It is not a struggle to make the weight at all.

ProudAmerican - At what age did you really become serious about boxing? Was it a dream of yours as a kid?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I used to watch boxing on the tv as a kid and knew that I would be a professional boxer myself. I cant remember what age I knew this, but I became serious about boxing at 14, which was my first year as an amateur (in which I was in the national squad).

Gibbs Baby!!! - You've retired some boxers from thier careers, is that a good feeling, or is it regretful?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Well, we all know the risks involved, and the way I look at it is that it could well have been me that was retired, so I am not regretful. It probably feels the same as a soldier feels in battle.

Sir asks - Condition and form are two major things to have in boxing, but you see these new crops of fighters going for speed, power and how good there body looks (muscle mass ect). Speed and punching power should come from technique not how big your arms are. Do you see this as a problem for future fighters?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I dont see it that way. Boxing is very much about technique. It always has been and always will be. Speed and power are just things added on to that. When you start boxing you learn the basics and develop on them, but boxing is and always has been about technique. Strength is another big factor too. If you are strong and have good technique, then you are a force to be reckoned with.

Ben - Do you still remember the first time you stepped into the ring? what was it like?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - It was like a blur. It all went so fast. The adrenalin was pumping so much that I cannot remember anything at all from the experience. The more experience you get the better able you are to deal with the adrenalin and the nerves.

toejam - How much of a strategy for a fight do you take into the ring and how long does it last?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Being able to think in the ring separates champions from contenders. Developing a strategy, sticking to it and putting it into practice is a key aspect of training that you need to take into the ring with you. You need a strategy at championship level. Not so much at lower levels though.

ProudAmerican - Have you ever tried kickboxing? What do you think of it? Are they guys who couldn't make it in regular boxing?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I was the Junior World Full Contact Featherweight Kickboxing Champion back in 1993 at age 17!! I used to do kickboxing before i turned to boxing. A lot of guys nowadays are entering kickboxing after not making it as a boxer. When i was doing it, there was no money in it back then, but there is now, so it is an option for some boxers. I wouldn't go back to it though.

Gibbs Baby!!! - Have you ever been thrown off the stratagy that you prepard in training?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Yes, which is why you need to develop a plan B and also a plan C to use if the need arises.

ktprktpr asks - What are your career goals? do you intend to be the best lightweight boxer in England and retire, or go right to the top of the world?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I plan on going as far as I can. i want to conquer britain first before moving onto the world stage. I am ranked in the top 10 in the uk at the moment, its just a case of getting the right fights now to get up to the top.

Ben - In the movie rocky, which is your favorite boxing movie, Mikey says women weaken legs, do you believe this?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Sex actually does physically weaken your legs. Before a fight it is not advised to have sex a week before, sometimes even longer than this. You can definitely feel the difference in training and in the ring after having had sex. Your legs just dont feel as strong. Even though the rocky movies are fictional, there is a lot of sense in the script relating to the life of a real professional fighter.

toejam - How much of boxing is mental as opposed to the physical side that we all see in the ring?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I would say that boxing is 60% mental and 40% physical. Leading up to a fight is a very emotional time, during the fight your mental state can mean the difference between winning and losing.

ProudAmerican - How often do you need your cutman?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - I have never been cut in my entire boxing career, touch wood. Some fighters mark up and cut very easily and some don't. I believe it has a lot to do with the diet a fighter eats and his lifestyle.

Gibbs Baby!!! - What is your opinion of the reality show "The contender"?

DynamiteDeanPhillips - The contender is a very good programme. i have been watching it and it gives some of the top contenders much needed publicity and a chance to break through. It is very good for the sport in general and i hope they bring it over to the uk and do a series featuring the UK Lightweights, which is the best and most competitive division to be in right now.

TRD - Thanks alot for taking the time out again Dean for the online chat.

DynamiteDeanPhillips - Well, thanks a lot again for the questions folks. I hope to do it again sometime soon.

About 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

'Dynamite' Dean Phillips Profile

1st online chat with 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

Interview with 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

2nd online chat with 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

Where to find dean on the web

'Dynamite' Dean Phillips.com

Sportztawk.com

For tickets and fight news

Ticket Booking - Fight News Link

Copyright www.sportztawk.com, sportznewz.com 2005

[Edited on 3/4/05 by TRD]

TRD

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Dean a question...

Would you do the show if you was asked to?

[Edited on 4/4/05 by TRD]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Dean a question...

Would you do the show if you was asked to?

[Edited on 4/4/05 by TRD]

Yes, I would take part definitely

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Is there anything that we can do to help promote you to be invited for the next season?

Ben

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Right now, i think we are doing all that we can do to help promote Mr. Phillips in the best way that we can. His Interview already has over 1500 hits!!!!! And that is only in a couple of days times.

There are a lot of people coming to this site to see the questions that us sportztawkers ask, and what Mr. Phillips response to those questions are. As long as we keep trying and keep helping Mr. Phillips like the way we are doing, im sure somebody from the Contender or a reality show will see this.

It is always a pleasure to read what Mr. Phillips has to say, and its a great time in those live chats. As we continue to grow i hope that we can continue this relationship with Mr. Phillips and maybe sometime soon, we can be the offical sponsor for Mr. Phillips, that is one of my goals right now, is to help endorse Mr. Phillips.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
and maybe sometime soon, we can be the offical sponsor for Mr. Phillips, that is one of my goals right now, is to help endorse Mr. Phillips.

That woudl be really cool!

Cheers Ben!

[Edited on 4/6/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I enjoy doing these online chats, they are good for publicity for both parties and it is always good to hear what the general boxing fan public has to say.

I would be proud to wear the Sportztawk logo on my fight shorts if a sponsorship deal came about.

Ben

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I would like to think that come your next fight we will have something worked out.

When your next fight comes to date, let us know and then we can discuss some things further, or whenever is convent for you.

Sir

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Thanks for getting my question in. Great chat!

Dean how good is your trainer?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
it sounds like it went very well last weekend.

and good to hear about trying to work stuff out Ben, hope something can be oranged. and it some amount of hits its had.

does your own website dean these days get much more traffic?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir
Thanks for getting my question in. Great chat!

Dean how good is your trainer?

I have always trained by myself. however, I have someone helping out with conditioning and someone sorting out my sparring, so I have 2 trainers in actual fact.

I am about to complete a new promotional deal, with my first fight for them possibly on May 13th, I will let you know when the deal is done.

I am available to talk about a possible sponsorship deal at anytime.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Guys,

I have committed to a new promotional deal, which sees my first fight for them on May 12th - this will be televised on Setanta Sport PPV1 - Sky Digital 435.

It's at the Elephant & Castle Centre, London.

I am open to sponsorship offers now if you are interested. The fight is in 4 weeks.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
congrats, i hope you can work something out with sportztawk on a sponsor.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
that's exciting news, it must feel good for you to finally get a fight after being out for so long...do you know who you will be fighting?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
when will you have a shot at the title?

TRD

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DynamiteDeanPhillips
Guys,

I have committed to a new promotional deal, which sees my first fight for them on May 12th - this will be televised on Setanta Sport PPV1 - Sky Digital 435.

It's at the Elephant & Castle Centre, London.

I am open to sponsorship offers now if you are interested. The fight is in 4 weeks.

Cheers

Thats great, your actually fighting in my neck of the woods. Looks like i will make the effort to come to the fight.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Good job, man! Hopefully we'll be on your back...

Sir

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Thats great, congrats on getting a fight.

If TRD does decide to go, i may have to tag along..

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
There will be a whole sportz section in the seats! :sport-smiley-019::party-smiley-018:

[Edited on 4/15/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yeah good luck buddy, i'll be cheering for you and so will 31267236497863957863796456 of your fans lol

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join